Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2013, 16:24   #391

Boat: Pearson 303
Re: Which Watermaker To Choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I know....I mentioned earlier how more information was needed to decided on which water maker to get, not just the budget but individual water consumption, which can only be figured by crusising for a while to figure out how much you need (unless you have deep pockets and are willing to get the "latest & greatest").
Personally I want to get a water maker that has a manual over ride. This thread has made me realize a few things firstly unless you want to back flush you have to use your watermaker fairly often, secondly unless you have a high output watermaker you should not rely on the watermaker for all your water usage (between the two a watermaker should be used to top off the tanks), thirdly knowing your water consumption and having adequate tankage in case of watermaker failure is important, fourth having a water maker that is easily serviced by the boat owner in any place in the world (some make service kits to take along) and fifth the water maker shoulf fit the individuals needs.

Good thought there!! I want to make water to do three things only! 1. Water to flush engine every time I run it. (5 gal per day)
2. Water for showers and dishes and brush teeth wash hands. (8 gal. per day
3. Water for hose off deck, cloths..etc (6 gal. per day)

Total usage per day approx: 20 gal per day Max.

Any idea's as to what to get?? Linda
CaptLinda6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 06:50   #392

Fantastic thread. I have a 9kw gen set and 260 gal tankage. I have decided on CruiseRO 40. We will be in the caribbean for two years and want to rinse the boat at least every two days.
Somewhere 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 14:32   #393
CLOD

Boat: none

I came across another cheap supplier (they definitely aren't web designers and are low on component details compared to Cruse RO).

DIY Watermakers | Home
Old 24-01-2013, 14:52   #394

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I came across another cheap supplier (they definitely aren't web designers and are low on component details compared to Cruse RO).

DIY Watermakers | Home
Definitely light on information.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 04:24   #395
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamancat View Post
Hi we plumbed the water maker output into a 50 l header tank that then overflows into one of two 200 l hull tanks. We have a separate pump and tap for drinking water from the header tank that way we can fill the hull tanks at a marina and not worry too much about the quality.
That is an interesting idea. Is your FW Header tank higher than the 2 storage tanks?

On my old R/O I just extended the test line thru the ER Dorade vent, keeping it coiled there until use, where it would start up going overboard, then fill a big laundry bucket before going in to tanks
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 05:37   #396

Boat: Custom 50' aluminum cruising cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
That is an interesting idea. Is your FW Header tank higher than the 2 storage tanks?
Yes about 1.5m higher. It's a fairly long run to the hull tank on the opposite side. I can select which tank to fill and also have a crossover draw pipe if one side goes empty.
Shamancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 08:14   #397

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

DIY Watermakers | Home
Don Thanks for the input here! Yes your right "Definitely aren't web designers and are low on component details" But, Its interesting if I could read their TXT..LOL

Linda
CaptLinda6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 09:19   #398

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

You can tell that they are purposely being vague on the product due to fear that their customer will replicate it without purchase. If someone wanted to make their own, they have a ton of resources online without needing to copy their parts catalog. I think it's an unfounded fear.

I just watched an old Village Marine watermaker sell on ebay for $175. The unit came with a Cat 237 pump, ac motor, Procon feed pump, and all pumbing parts needed. The membrane housing was junk along with the high pressure lines, but would have been pretty easy to make a very nice A/C system out of these used parts for under $1000 total with a rebuilt pump, vessel, membrane and hoses.

If you're on a budget, have A/C, making your own seems to be the best process.
Old 26-01-2013, 12:16   #399
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quality Water Works, Inc.
This companies web page gives alot of info, it's water makers are modular, with a wide range of sizes and options with a decent price. Intentionally being user serviceable and easy to obtain parts...owner of the company is actually a sailor. Because everything is so modular it allows for customization (which the company will work with you on). They have relatively inexpensive, simple upgrades (on the 12v version)to a larger output, it would be interesting to see if it could be done at a later time if you decided you wanted a higher output
Old 26-01-2013, 13:12   #400

Quote:
Quality Water Works, Inc.
This companies web page gives alot of info, it's water makers are modular, with a wide range of sizes and options with a decent price. Intentionally being user serviceable and easy to obtain parts...owner of the company is actually a sailor. Because everything is so modular it allows for customization (which the company will work with you on). They have relatively inexpensive, simple upgrades (on the 12v version)to a larger output, it would be interesting to see if it could be done at a later time if you decided you wanted a higher output

Yeah, but did you see how much power they were using for the DC system? 45 amp at 8gph... ouch. With that kind of power use, you should just go AC and buy a Honda gen. I use about 10 amps with a 9 GPH return, but would go AC if I didn't have an energy recovery unit.

wolfenzee, why are you even looking at pre-made units? You keep saying how your a budget cruiser and think it's crazy to spend the money on a high output water maker, and insulting anyone that does. If you truly want to do this on the cheap, make a system yourself.
Old 28-01-2013, 18:28   #401
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Yeah, but did you see how much power they were using for the DC system? 45 amp at 8gph... ouch. With that kind of power use, you should just go AC and buy a Honda gen. I use about 10 amps with a 9 GPH return, but would go AC if I didn't have an energy recovery unit.

wolfenzee, why are you even looking at pre-made units? You keep saying how your a budget cruiser and think it's crazy to spend the money on a high output water maker, and insulting anyone that does. If you truly want to do this on the cheap, make a system yourself.
In response to my e-mails inquiring about expandability and power usage of the pumps the owner of the company called me. The 4,6 & 8gph 12v units all use the same pump, to upgrade you just have to change the cam and put in a larger membrane (which incidentally costs 1/3 what Katadyn charges and is more readily available0. The pump draws more power than Katadyn or Spectra, because they are heavier duty pumps. The only system failures of his water makers was from "operator error". Do it your self is great but you can only go so far, like finding a source of the parts, not just the part but the right part (above is an example that not all pumps are created equal and in a complex system like a watermaker, getting one part wrong can screw everything up). The aforementioned company has worked all that out.
Old 28-01-2013, 23:13   #402

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
The pump draws more power than Katadyn or Spectra, because they are heavier duty pumps. .
It draws a lot more power because is does not use an energy recovery system.
The high pressure Clarke pump that Spectra uses recycles some of the pressure that would otherwise be lost.
The way the HP pump operates is very different, hence the lower consumption.

Watermakers consume a lot of power and if you want to live away from the dock (which is major reason to get a watermaker) one of the most important considerations is how it will be powered.

If you want to make water predominaty from solar/wind it has to be an energy recovery watermaker. If you are happy to run a generator or your main engine then energy recovery is much less important. A large, non energy recovery watermaker, is often the best choice.

Many people make the mistake of picking the watermaker without considering how they will generate the power to make the water.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 23:35   #403

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

I have a small boat, small budget, and bought a small second hand watermaker. But I am heading off in 5 months:-)
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 00:17   #404

Quote:
In response to my e-mails inquiring about expandability and power usage of the pumps the owner of the company called me. The 4,6 & 8gph 12v units all use the same pump, to upgrade you just have to change the cam and put in a larger membrane (which incidentally costs 1/3 what Katadyn charges and is more readily available0. The pump draws more power than Katadyn or Spectra, because they are heavier duty pumps. The only system failures of his water makers was from "operator error". Do it your self is great but you can only go so far, like finding a source of the parts, not just the part but the right part (above is an example that not all pumps are created equal and in a complex system like a watermaker, getting one part wrong can screw everything up). The aforementioned company has worked all that out.

Weren't you the one complaining about the watermaker salesman's pitch?
Old 29-01-2013, 03:14   #405
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The Wanner pump they use is nice, no pulsation, commonly available from industrial suppliers, not cheap though.

The energy isnt lost in the high pressure pumo, its lost at the needle valve/back pressure valve, its dissipated as heat and lost in the water.

There really is a need for a line of relatively low cost pelton turbines or something to spur the small watermaker market on. Spectra's patent position is holding things back, mind you only for a period of time.

Dave

Tags
watermaker