Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 06:12   #406

Re: Which Watermaker To Choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Spectra's patent position is holding things back, mind you only for a period of time.
Do you know when the critical patent(s) will expire?
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 06:26   #407

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Do you know when the critical patent(s) will expire?
It looks like a 1995 patent is the primary one
Liquid treatment apparatus for providing a flow of pressurized liquid :: U.S. Patent Number 5,462,414 :: Justia Patents
There's also some litigation around it
Document 69 :: Permar v. Spectra Watermakers, Inc. :: 4:2009cv00972 :: California Northern District Court :: US Federal District Courts Cases :: Justia
1995 plus 20 years would make it 2015.
Old 30-01-2013, 06:38   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
1995 plus 20 years would make it 2015.
The patent issued in October, but the filing date was Jan 19, 1995, so it will expire Jan 19, 2015.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 07:04   #409

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

For what it's worth I just received my Feb issue of Practical Sailor and they did a head to head comparison of a Spectra vs. a Racor Little Wonder. Haven't read it all yet. A lot of detail and education for a newbe like myself, assuming it's valid.
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 18:01   #410
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Yes the unit I was talking about does use more power.....but for the $2500 savings over the same size Katedyn or Spectra unit I can find ways to generate more power and have change left over.
I wouldn't be able to afford a watermaker until after I install solar panels which will happen after I install a wind generator. Between the tow it will more than keep up with any water maker usage.
Old 30-01-2013, 18:55   #411
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

If energy consumption is not a factor one wishes to consider, there are two used units on E-bay right now that would provide a few good parts to get started on a DIY watermaker.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 05:19   #412

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
For what it's worth I just received my Feb issue of Practical Sailor and they did a head to head comparison of a Spectra vs. a Racor Little Wonder. Haven't read it all yet. A lot of detail and education for a newbe like myself, assuming it's valid.
And their conclusions and ratings?
Old 31-01-2013, 11:54   #413
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
If energy consumption is not a factor one wishes to consider, there are two used units on E-bay right now that would provide a few good parts to get started on a DIY watermaker.
Energy consumption is a factor but purchase and maintenance costs are more important. The system I was refering to costs aprox $2500 less than the equic=velent Katadyn, Spectra or Racor. If when I instal my ind/solar I take into consideration the higher power needs the upgrade would be about $500. As far as maintanence the membranes are 1/3-1/4 the price of the other. My water maker system would be higher draw, but then everything else on my boat is much lower draw. Wind and solar would be recharging the batteies when I am not useing the water maker anyway. I am not in a position to spend and extra couple thousand $ (actually double the cost of the unit) to save on power consumption.
Old 31-01-2013, 12:19   #414
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Energy consumption is a factor but purchase and maintenance costs are more important. The system I was refering to costs aprox $2500 less than the equic=velent Katadyn, Spectra or Racor. If when I instal my ind/solar I take into consideration the higher power needs the upgrade would be about $500. As far as maintanence the membranes are 1/3-1/4 the price of the other. My water maker system would be higher draw, but then everything else on my boat is much lower draw. Wind and solar would be recharging the batteies when I am not useing the water maker anyway. I am not in a position to spend and extra couple thousand $ (actually double the cost of the unit) to save on power consumption.
Actually I meant that for any board member considering a DIY. With the pump, valves, gauge, flow meters, vessels, etc. shown, and for the right bid, one with a bit of thought could put together one even cheaper.
Old 31-01-2013, 12:19   #415

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Wolfenzee, just make sure you do your energy budget carefully. Running a non energy recovery watermaker from wind/solar is difficult, particuarly on a 30foot boat.
If you are planning on running the main engine and or generator every day that will work OK and a non energy recovery watermaker will be fine.

If you are planning on running primarily from solar / wind (which your post implies) I would be surprised if you can make the energy budget work.

A watermaker that you have not got the power to run will not be bargain.

No offence intended, I am just trying to steer you the right direction from my impression (which may be wrong) of your requirements.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 12:21   #416
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Wolfenzee, just make sure you do your energy budget carefully. Running a non energy recovery watermaker from wind/solar is difficult, particuarly on a 30foot boat.
If you are planning on running the main engine and or generator every day that will work OK and a non energy recovery watermaker will be fine.

If you are planning on running primarily from solar / wind (which your post implies) I would be surprised if you can make the energy budget work.

No offence intended, I am just trying to steer you the right direction from my impression (which may be wrong) of your requirements.

Noelex is offering very good advice.
Old 31-01-2013, 12:54   #417

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Noelex is offering very good advice.
But it will be ignored like every other post

Speaking of lower cost options... There was a demo Sea Recovery with new membrane for $2500.

The HRO with the painted CAT pump for $50 looks like a good buy too.

1) $50 HRO carcass... remove pump, motor, flow gauge, needle valve and diverting valve.
2) $100 Rebuild the pump once you figure out if it is a 237, 247 etc.
3) $350 New membrane vessel
4) $200 Dow Filmtec membrane
5) $100 Replace the high pressure hoses
6) $100 Feed pump
7) $100 Filter canisters, filters, hoses, clamps and power cable

Manual Watermaker for under $1000. Add another $1000 for a Honda $2000 and you have a charging system and watermaker for $2000.

Oh, and that is guessing high on every part listed.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:40   #418
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
But it will be ignored like every other post

Speaking of lower cost options... There was a demo Sea Recovery with new membrane for $2500.

The HRO with the painted CAT pump for $50 looks like a good buy too.

1) $50 HRO carcass... remove pump, motor, flow gauge, needle valve and diverting valve.
2) $100 Rebuild the pump once you figure out if it is a 237, 247 etc.
3) $350 New membrane vessel
4) $200 Dow Filmtec membrane
5) $100 Replace the high pressure hoses
6) $100 Feed pump
7) $100 Filter canisters, filters, hoses, clamps and power cable

Manual Watermaker for under $1000. Add another $1000 for a Honda $2000 and you have a charging system and watermaker for $2000.

Oh, and that is guessing high on every part listed.
Barring any unseen issues that don't seem apparent now, I'd agree and say your guess is pretty darn close.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:44   #419
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Oh and by the way.
Come on down to the Miami Strictly Sailboat show.
We'll be raffling off a brand new Spectra at Saturday nights party.
I'll even personally buy Wolfie four arms lengths of raffle tickets if he shows up. Ya can't beat that for a really cheap efficient watermaker that will fit perfectly on a 30 footer.
Old 31-01-2013, 16:25   #420
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

To use another type of watermaker would be the most cost effective....because I wouldn't be able to afford one, making the cost $0, those watermakers are almost 1/2 my annual income.
Everything, especially on boats, is a compromise. I simply offered a drastically less expensive, mechanically simpler (subsequently more reliable) alternative....the trade off is a higher power consumption, I would consider it worth a think.
An other thing to take into consideration is how one plans on using a watermaker......for me it would be to top off the tanks occasionally, to some it would be thier primary source of water and they would use more water than is normally used on a boat because they feel they have an unlimited supply.

Tags
watermaker