Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 11:12   #31

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Which Watermaker To Choose

As Tellie said, watermakers do not work off of solar. The solar charges the batts. In reality on a cruising boat your solar amp output will probably already be spoken for, unless you have a massive solar setup. The big solar setups fit OK on cats, but are not so compatible with a mono that actually wants to sail. Most people that cruise and use a WM also use some suplemental power source besides solar.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:30   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
I'm sure the Spectra is a fine watermaker but for the price and simplicity the Cruise RO SeaMaker 20 is the one I would choose. It's really a no brainer. Compare the specs: 20 GPH Water Maker
It's not really the same thing.
It's using over 100A to produce 20gal. Fine if you are are running it off an alternator, but not practical from solar power or even the main engine of most sailboats.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:37   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
As Tellie said, watermakers do not work off of solar. The solar charges the batts. In reality on a cruising boat your solar amp output will probably already be spoken for, unless you have a massive solar setup. The big solar setups fit OK on cats, but are not so compatible with a mono that actually wants to sail. Most people that cruise and use a WM also use some suplemental power source besides solar.
That was certainly the case before the energy recovery watermakers became available. Now with cheap solar and ER watermakers many run their watermakers on solar, or solar and wind. As we do.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:04   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

When I say run it off solar, I'm aware thart it probably won't run directly off the panels. I know it will run off the batteries. By running off the panels, I guess I mean it doesn't suck more juice than the panels can replace in a reasonable amount of time. The rest of the boat also uses juice.

I guess I can start by looking at all the websites you guys ( and in this equality age - gals) have given me. Perhaps there are some good deals on e- bay, although shipping to europe sometimes is a pain.

Tellie, thanks for the input, can you tell me more?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:13   #35

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Eco-Sistems Watermakers | Marine watermakers with Energy Recovery System
Automatic, manual, and everything in between.
No EU import duties.
Off the shelf spares and filters.
Best efficiency.
do the homework, look at the specs...
Old 07-12-2012, 12:33   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
That was certainly the case before the energy recovery watermakers became available. Now with cheap solar and ER watermakers many run their watermakers on solar, or solar and wind. As we do.
Like I said most cruisers use suplemental power besides solar if they run a WM for all their water needs. You have a wind generator. Just cause it is overcast for a week doesn't mean you don't need to make water. Wind, genset, Honda, main engine. Solar is great. It just usually is not enough to cover a cruising boats total needs, unless it is a very big set of panels, and tbese have thier own issues.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:48   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Actually the Crusie RO is an energy hog for a RTW crusier. The boost pump alone uses practically as many amps to feed an 115v AC powered pressure pump as the better watermakers use for the whole system. There is no near comparison in energy consumption. Rich makes a nice effort for an off the shelf components watermaker. But toting around a EU2000 to power your watermaker if you don't have a diesel generator on-board is rather silly, on a RTW trip it isn't really feasible especially since space is an issue plus now you're carrying more alternate fuel. If you do have a diesel generator on board there are still plenty of better options for AC powered watermakers. Again, I'm not knocking Richs stuff, he's a super nice guy. But if it's price point you're looking for and you just don't care about space and energy build your own or buy one of his. The savings is going to be minimal and the long term energy costs are not going to make an energy conscious sailor happy...at all.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 13:07   #38

DIY 15-20gal/hr runs off 12v system and pulls 21Ah for $3500: DIY Watermakers | WaterPro ECO 15 Watermaker
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 13:23   #39

Boat: Niagara 35

Not much mention of the Katadyn 40 (or 35?). Very inexpensive and has a manual back-up handle (I don't really trust electricity). Very low amp draw, but the Ah/L might be higher than the spectra. Seems to be about half the price, though!
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 13:50   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Like I said most cruisers use suplemental power besides solar if they run a WM for all their water needs. You have a wind generator. Just cause it is overcast for a week doesn't mean you don't need to make water. Wind, genset, Honda, main engine. Solar is great. It just usually is not enough to cover a cruising boats total needs, unless it is a very big set of panels, and tbese have thier own issues.
No my post was badly worded. No wind.
95% of my energy is solar alone and I make 95% of my water all year around.
Cloudy days are not a great factor as long as your average production is greater than average consumption. The battery bank will even out the difference.
Watermaking is more forgiving than other electrical demands in that on very poor power production days its easy not to run the watermaker. I run ours generally very second day, but this can varied depending on power production, water demand and the tank level.
It helps over winter that we do less swimming so there no need for several showers a day, naturally dropping our water demand.

2O AHrs a day will give you 45L a day. 20Ahrs can be produced by 50w panel in summer. In the depths of winter we need perhaps 125w on average.
Old 07-12-2012, 13:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Not much mention of the Katadyn 40 (or 35?). Very inexpensive and has a manual back-up handle (I don't really trust electricity). Very low amp draw, but the Ah/L might be higher than the spectra. Seems to be about half the price, though!
I think the 40e is too small but you really can't argue with this price for the 80e $3875 shipped: https://www.readymaderesources.com/c...6.html?ccUser=
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 14:37   #42

Boat: Endeavour 43

As with various boat designs meeting the needs of the owner water makers fall into various patterns of use as well. I chose the path of simplicity, no automation and the desire to have as little run time as necessary while meeting my particular needs concerning water consumption. I chose a 30 gal an HOUR – not per day – water maker from Cruise RO Water and Power. Power comes from a 750 amp battery bank using a 3000 watt Heart Inverter with a Link 2000 battery monitor. With the system running a 12 volt feeder pump to the 1HP 120 volt electric motor driving the high pressure pump @800psi it will produce 30 gallons an hour while consuming 11 amps per hour. After producing the water a simple 5 gallon fresh water flush keeps the system ready for 3 to 4 days. Now I may not use 30 gallons in 3 to 4 days but since the need to keep the system fresh merely means that instead of listening to the system run for an hour maybe I’ll only need 20 or 30 minutes of run time making water while keeping the system flushed for those 3 to 4 days. Beyond that pickling the system for extended storage takes about 20 minutes, piece of cake. Coupling the simplistic nature of the system all replacement parts are off the shelf components. This also includes the Dow Corning membranes which are standard sized off the shelf units. This equates to being a lot cheaper to replace compared to the specialty sized membranes other water makers require for their systems. In addition, product support is unsurpassed. Good luck with your project.

http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/
sea1ljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 15:05   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea1ljs View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] I chose a 30 gal an HOUR – not per day – water maker from Cruise RO Water and Power. Power comes from a 750 amp battery bank using a 3000 watt Heart Inverter with a Link 2000 battery monitor. With the system running a 12 volt feeder pump to the 1HP 120 volt electric motor driving the high pressure pump @800psi it will produce 30 gallons an hour while consuming 11 amps per hour.
The problem if using solar and or wind to power the watermaker is that its using 2.5x the amount of energy to produce the same amount of water as one of the energy recovery watermakers.

If you have a generator, a high capacity non energy recovery watermaker works very well. It can also work if you motor a reasonable amount every few days and have a couple of large alternators.
This is why I would encourage everyone to think about how they will power the watermaker as a first step.

A high capacity, non energy recovery, watermaker powered by a generator or the main engine, or a lower capacity energy recovery watermaker powered by wind and /or solar.
Both are successful options, but the first option does not work well with solar and the second option does not work well with a generator. The cost of the first option is less, but for commercial products there is not a great deal of difference.

A large capacity energy recovery watermaker is the final option and this gives you the best of both worlds, but it is by far the most expensive option.
Old 07-12-2012, 15:19   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
When I say run it off solar, I'm aware thart it probably won't run directly off the panels. I know it will run off the batteries. By running off the panels, I guess I mean it doesn't suck more juice than the panels can replace in a reasonable amount of time. The rest of the boat also uses juice.

I guess I can start by looking at all the websites you guys ( and in this equality age - gals) have given me. Perhaps there are some good deals on e- bay, although shipping to europe sometimes is a pain.

Tellie, thanks for the input, can you tell me more?
Hi Carsten,

This company in Holland always have a few used watermakers on stock, maybe you give them a call. +31 641043727

Vlietstroom Power - Voorburg/Denhaag

CeesH
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 15:30   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea1ljs View Post
As with various boat designs meeting the needs of the owner water makers fall into various patterns of use as well. I chose the path of simplicity, no automation and the desire to have as little run time as necessary while meeting my particular needs concerning water consumption. I chose a 30 gal an HOUR – not per day – water maker from Cruise RO Water and Power. Power comes from a 750 amp battery bank using a 3000 watt Heart Inverter with a Link 2000 battery monitor. With the system running a 12 volt feeder pump to the 1HP 120 volt electric motor driving the high pressure pump @800psi it will produce 30 gallons an hour while consuming 11 amps per hour. After producing the water a simple 5 gallon fresh water flush keeps the system ready for 3 to 4 days. Now I may not use 30 gallons in 3 to 4 days but since the need to keep the system fresh merely means that instead of listening to the system run for an hour maybe I’ll only need 20 or 30 minutes of run time making water while keeping the system flushed for those 3 to 4 days. Beyond that pickling the system for extended storage takes about 20 minutes, piece of cake. Coupling the simplistic nature of the system all replacement parts are off the shelf components. This also includes the Dow Corning membranes which are standard sized off the shelf units. This equates to being a lot cheaper to replace compared to the specialty sized membranes other water makers require for their systems. In addition, product support is unsurpassed. Good luck with your project.

http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/
You say 11amps per hour. That would have to be 11amps at 120 v. Or about 110 ah out of your 12 v bank. That's about 3.6ah per gal.

Tags
watermaker