Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2022, 09:45   #1

Boat: Broom 39
Why does my electric head not empty the bowl?

Hi everyone. I have a motor yacht with two heads connected to a black water tank. The forward one is electric and only fully empties when the sea outlet is selected. Can any one out there tell me why, when emptying to the holding tank, the bowl remains part full? It is only a problem in rough weather or at speed , hitting waves. Is there anything we can do to resolve this?
WindintheWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:35   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Why does my electric head not empty the bowl?

Does it have to pump "up" when pumping to the holding tank? I bet it does and the pump is trying to pump air and when you turn it off the hose drains back down.

When was the last time you replaced the joker valves?

When was the last time the hoses got cleaned/replaced to be sure they aren't clogged
Old 04-06-2022, 12:06   #3
Marine Service Provider

Most likely a discharge plumbing issue. If it's an uphill run and/or considerably longer run from the forward toilet to the tank than from the aft toilet, whatever is left in the toilet discharge line after you release the flush button will do what water does: run downhill back to the toilet. It shouldn't immediately raise the level in the tank though...Unless the joker valve is so worn that that the slit has become a hole, it should slowly seep into the bowl. Solution: replace the joker valve--in BOTH toilets, something that should be done annually.

There may be something else that'll help: if your toilets have just a single flush button that simultaneously brings in water and pumps it out, you may be able to upgrade them to a 3-option flush panel that provides a choice of just bringing water into the bowl and holding it (essential ahead of solid waste), "dry" flush and simultaneous water in/bowl contents out. I'm not familiar with retailers or dealers in France...I do know that Jabsco offers one that's sold here in the US Search for jabsco dual rocker panel Model #:37047-2000

Btw...you're only the second Broom owner I've ever "met"... the other was a friend in the UK who, sadly, has passed away. He spent his summers living aboard, cruising the Thames and other waterways. I was aboard for an afternoon several years ago...Brooms are lovely boats!

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:39   #4

Dear Peggy

Many thanks for the prompt reply. We are most grateful. I suspect you are right - it is a run of several meters to the tank from the forward head. Can I ask what the Joker valve is and how you replace it? I shall seek to replace the valves and get a three way selector. The odd thing is that both heads smell as sweet as anythinbg.

Also, your book is of interest - any advice on how to eradicate a persistent, unpleasant sweet smell from the tank area under our bed. I have Acqua-Chem blue on order. Is large quantities of that sufficient?
Old 04-06-2022, 15:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cancel the order. Aqua Kem is a toxic chemical that kills bacteria needed to break down waste and toilet paper and, at best, only adds a chemical odor to the sewage odor. It's meant for use in portapotties.

However, unless a tank is leaking, it's rarely if ever the source of odor INSIDE the boat 'cuz odor from inside the tank only has one place to go: out the tank vent. Nothing used IN the tank will cure odor inside the boat. Permeated sanitation hoses are the most likely source of the odor under your berth. My book goes into detail that should help you learn how to eliminate and prevent odor...you should be able to order it from Amazon...I believe the link is amazon.eu My book's title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading because although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT them, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work--including what a joker valve is--and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't, here or privately using Private Message if the issue requires more detailed discussion than is practical in open forum. I'm happy to help you!

What is the make/model/approximate age of your toilets? Once I know that, I can post a link to the owners manual for them.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 16:13   #6
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Does it have to pump "up" when pumping to the holding tank? I bet it does and the pump is trying to pump air and when you turn it off the hose drains back down.

When was the last time you replaced the joker valves?

When was the last time the hoses got cleaned/replaced to be sure they aren't clogged
Guess since it came from me it was wrong till rephrased
Old 04-06-2022, 16:29   #7

Boat: Carver 356

Not all, but a lot of marine heads have rebuild kits available with all the parts and pieces you need to literally make it new again. If you are comfortable turning a wrench, it is not a difficult job. Set aside a couple of hours, follow directions, pump out your holding tank ahead of time and give it a good flushing. I’ve done several.
Also, pay attention to anything Peggy tells you.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 17:09   #8

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Noticed that also SB1. But Peg's avatar is prettier than yours.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 22:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindintheWillow View Post
Hi everyone. I have a motor yacht with two heads connected to a black water tank. The forward one is electric and only fully empties when the sea outlet is selected. Can any one out there tell me why, when emptying to the holding tank, the bowl remains part full? It is only a problem in rough weather or at speed , hitting waves. Is there anything we can do to resolve this?
Crystals of urine form, which stick to the inside of the tube. After a while, a thick layer forms. When it comes loose, for example if they are moved or disturbed out of position, it becomes fine gravel that settles in the low point of the hose and forms a plug.
Canarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:24   #10

Dear Sailor Boy

Thanks for your response. I think the issue is almost certainly the Joker valve - not the name I am familiar with but I have changed them before - about 30 years ago when last I had boats.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Guess since it came from me it was wrong till rephrased
Peggie is the expert. You are not.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarios View Post
Crystals of urine form, which stick to the inside of the tube. After a while, a thick layer forms. When it comes loose, for example if they are moved or disturbed out of position, it becomes fine gravel that settles in the low point of the hose and forms a plug.
Here's a pic so people can get an idea.

This was taken from a Marine How-To article:
https://marinehowto.com/vinegar-in-t...-does-it-work/
Vinegar in the Head - Does It Work?
If you've ever been helped by Rodd's website, please donate. As far as I understand, Rodd is still gamely forging ahead with rehab after his stroke (September 2021).

Actually, Peggie, do you have an update?

Cheers,
LittleWing77
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-Vinegar-In-The-Head.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	258974  
Old 05-06-2022, 04:16   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Thanks Peggie You’re awesome.
My loo is fine but I feel prepared
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 04:42   #14
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Peggie is the expert. You are not.
Like I said I was wrong.

But I know what scale is made of.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Thanks Peggie You’re awesome.
My loo is fine but I feel prepared
Get Peggie's book and keep it onboard:

The New Get Rid of Boat Odors
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...s%2C262&sr=8-1

Best $20 boat-related bucks you'll ever spend.

LittleWing77

Tags
electric, head