Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2017, 12:07   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Why no sticky for Peg Hall solutions?!?

To the mods: Unless I am missing something there is a TON of great advice from Peg Hall on this section. Very painful to find however. Why no stickies of some of her best advice (e.g. Joker valves on Jabsco Toilets, To Vinegar or not, etc. etc.) I think not only would you cut down on lots of new posts, but make it easier to find answers. Very few posters who are as qualified as she is on these issues, yet other forums have stickies.

Just my 2c!
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 12:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Why no sticky for Peg Hall solutions?!?

I appreciate the compliment, but there's an easier to way to find most of the solutions I post: at least 90% of 'em are in my book! (see link in my signature). If you can't the answer there, post it here...I'm always glad to help.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 12:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
T>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Very few posters who are as qualified as she is on these issues, yet other forums have stickies.

Just my 2c!
Good comeback, Peggie. Great book, BTW!

OP: You may be interested in another thread called Forum Content. We discussed what this forum is (daily discussion) and what it is NOT (repository for archived info). Other boating forums do it differently. Easy to find,m and a good read.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 13:19   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

JB, you are quite correct, there is some great information on CF on a huge range of subjects. Unfortunately if we made it all "stickies" then every first page of each sub forum would be a page of stickies. Also CF is a Forum not a wiki. The best way to find something on the forum is to use the "Google" search facility option in the drip down search field.

The other issue is the moderators are volunteers, they voluntary give up some of their free time each week to help moderate the forum rather than spend the time with the family, friends or on the water, because we all have our own boats. Therefore the time available that each moderator can give is limited.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 15:20   #5

Boat: Hanse 348

got all that. even have the book. was just reading the post by someone who has a 7 year old jabsco, and said to myself, 'all that information is here'. and it has been repeated so many times. if you post the same thing 50x, by and expert, maybe it should be a sticky.

However, I do realize that the mods are volunteers and can't do everything.

What is a drip down search field? I use the search this thread search, but as with many vbulletin forums, I find this search somewhat poor...
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 20:49   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I bought the book. Worth it in my opinion with the one exception of lack of info on my favorite head the Lavac. Having delivered boats with just about every head made the only one I never had to fix were the Lavacs.

Peg's book is great and the fact she shares her knowledge here so freely impelled me to buy the book just to support her great attitude. Thumbs up to Peg and thanks.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:08   #7

Hi all yes i'm with you on that, i also have the book which is great but i also have a lavac which i'm very happy with & have owned along with the boat for 15 years,.
Razor-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:17   #8

Boat: Pearson 34

Three cheers for Peg Hall's book! Read it on a Sun. and by Wed. I removed 3 ft. of extraneous vent line hose, a pesky vent line filter and laughed maniacally as I tossed it all into the trash. Things couldn't be sweeter and the thru hull vent opening now whistles during pump-out. Thank you, Peg Hall!
Pearson Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 10:37   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Have to continue the lauding of Peg's book. Have been following her step-by-step directions for "getting rid of boat odors", then onto "maintaining marine toilets", and "how to rebuild a manual toilet"...I am slowly and admittedly reluctantly learning about my toilet and all of its asundry parts...
thanks Peg..
dave
PS...my nose thanks you too...can only breath thru your mouth for so long
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 10:50   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
...What is a drip down search field? I use the search this thread search, but as with many vbulletin forums, I find this search somewhat poor...
Click on "Search" near the top of the page. In the pull-down menu that appears you'll see "Custom Google Search". Use that, and ignore the VBulletin's "Search Forums"--it's totally lame. We set up the Google Custom search to only search within Cruisers Forum, so it's targeted and very efficient.
Old 15-08-2017, 04:59   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Razor-ray.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 05:51   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I appreciate the compliment, but there's an easier to way to find most of the solutions I post: at least 90% of 'em are in my book! (see link in my signature). If you can't the answer there, post it here...I'm always glad to help.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
The cost of Peg's book will be repaid, in spades, with the cost savings one can realize by following her instructions/observing her recommendations.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 06:30   #13

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
To the mods: Unless I am missing something there is a TON of great advice from Peg Hall on this section. Very painful to find however. Why no stickies of some of her best advice (e.g. Joker valves on Jabsco Toilets, To Vinegar or not, etc. etc.) I think not only would you cut down on lots of new posts, but make it easier to find answers. Very few posters who are as qualified as she is on these issues, yet other forums have stickies.

Just my 2c!
You know she has written a book about the subject and it would be nice if we support her by buying her book. Also, if you read and understand her book (and some pretty basic plumbing and physics), you will be able to answer most of your questions yourself and won't have to ask them on boating forums.

The book is not that expensive.
Old 15-08-2017, 11:01   #14

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
So[IMG][/IMG][I'M][/[[IMG][/IMG]IMG][/IMG]IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The cost of Peg's book will be repaid, in spades, with the cost savings one can realize by following her instructions/observing her recommendations.

FWIW...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 15:57   #15
Marine Service Provider

Y'all certainly do know how to make an old gal feel appreciated...and I can't thank you enough for all the kind words about my contributions to the site and my book (Amazon has it in both hard copy and kindle, btw).

But as much as I've loved reading it all, I think it's time to move on before somebody gets the idea I'm paying you to say all those nice things!

THANK YOU all so much!!!

Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote