Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2022, 08:22   #16

Re: Wilcox Crittenden Skipper Repair Kit

Thanks to all for your input, and thanks to Bowdrie for your hints about the play. Marinesan fortunately has single parts available.

Referring to this sketch makes it easier for me as my english is not very good being from germany...

The two sources for "play" that Bowdrie pointed out are the ones I feel. Piston (46) has a good amount of play on the shaft (49) which Bowdrie said is normal.
The other noticable play is the shaft (49) in the packing (52). That is also where it leaks.

These parts are available at marinesan, as well as rubber parts and leather cup.

What I cannot find but was included in the maintenance kit is the (25) Joker Valve.

The parts cost significantly more than the kit of which I found an old invoide - it was 137$. But your praises of the throne convinced me to invest

Also the skipper seems to be the original head which was installed on the boat, a Valiant 40 from 1976. I would like to keep the original hardware on the boat, if possible.

Sorry if this post appears two times but I cannot find the last one
BitGust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 13:03   #17

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitGust View Post
What I cannot find but was included in the maintenance kit is the (25) Joker Valve.
Unfortunately, the Joker valve is most difficult, (impossible?) to find.
Measuring across the raised rubber flange, the original part is ~2 1/2in. (64mm>65mm).
I have "heard" that the "Raritan" Joker valve may work, but I have not measured one to confirm that.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 13:23   #18

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post

Measuring across the raised rubber flange, the original part is ~2 1/2in. (64mm>65mm).

I have "heard" that the "Raritan" Joker valve may work, but I have not measured one to confirm that.

I planned on replacing the joker valve this spring.
If I can’t get one I think I will machine a new outlet tail and make one that fits another brand of joker valve.
20 years ago I didn’t like the Bronze 90 that was on it .so I made the straight piece so the hose could go straight into sink cabinet.
I also like Jim’s idea of a disc with O ring for the pump seal.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:08   #19

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Quote:

I called marine sanitation today. They have a work around for the joker valve using a Groco joker valve and Jabsco o ring.
I ordered the parts and will give it a try.
Tim
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 20:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver View Post
I called marine sanitation today. They have a work around for the joker valve using a Groco joker valve and Jabsco o ring.
I ordered the parts and will give it a try.
Tim
Hi. I've just purchased a '79 Fairway's Fisher 34 that has a smelly Type 51 which I believe is the Junior from comparative photos. As I've had to go immediately to land winterization, I can't know the status of the head though my guess is needing refurbishing- when I pumped I'd get backflow until I held down the pedal with piston handle drawn fully up and got some air equalization (perhaps from the thru-hull or the bowl itself?), then backflow stopped. I'm guessing that may mean I've good valves, seals, pistons but a leaky Joker.

Anyway, just wondering how your repair went with the Groco Joker/Jabsco combination or any other ideas for parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8820.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	283076  
JetPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 06:04   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
If I win the lottery I will see about setting-up a facility to manufacture replacement parts for Skipper toilets.
Those at Thetford should be ashamed for dis-continuing the service parts.
Bean-counters and pinheads at work.
They probably still have the tooling for production, for a while after buying out WC they were still producing the complete/finished product.
Perhaps in this "modern" era marine products of bronze that basically will last forever cannot be tolerated?

Thetford didn't discontinue ONLY the Skipper service kits...nor did they ever produce the REAL WC Skipper. They only bought WC because they wanted the Italian Tecma electric macerating toilet and WC was the US importer. They immediately discontinued every WC product, keeping on the Skipper parts and rebuild kits they had in inventory. Theford did mfr a poor imitation of the Skipper that they named the Skipper II for a short time, but it was so bad that they discontinued it too. The closest thing to the real Skipper that's still in production the US is the Groco Model K.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 06:18   #22
Marine Service Provider

this pic is similar to mine, but not the same, mine had a foot pedal, plus several other levers.
this particular model is dated 1920....

That would make it the "Winner," which was the first WC bronze throne. It was succeeded by the "Imperial" and a smaller version of it called the "Junior." The Skipper came next.

--Peggie
Old 05-11-2023, 06:44   #23
Marine Service Provider

A WC 51 is the Imperial or the Junior which is the "compact" version of the Imperial. The pump handle has been replaced and the pump is apparently in the "box" that the bowl sits on. I have exploded drawings of it that I can send you if you'd like to send me a PM that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to a PM).

--Peggie
Old 03-02-2024, 19:20   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitGust View Post
I have a Skipper which leaks and I want to rebuild it, because it still looks good. The lever is not tight, it has some play - and the rubber has gotten hard.

I searched online but found only shops where the kit is out of stock.

Does anyone know, where to get a kit? I am located in the Netherlands right now, but have time and could order from the US.

Or maybe anyone knows where to similar parts that would fit.
Hi Bitgust,
We sold our WC Skipper II head, but have recently found an un-opened Repair Kit, (Product#: 37070 on Marine Sanitation and Supply) in our spares supplies. It seems to have a few extras included also.
As we no longer need it, it will be going up for sale.
Let me know if you are still interested.
Kapow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 19:38   #25
Marine Service Provider

W-C kits have been out of stock everywhere for several years. Not all the parts in the kit for the Skipper II--which was made for only a short time by Thetford after they bought Wilcox-Crittenden and then discontinued their entire W-D inventory--are a fit for the W-C Skipper.

--Peggie

Tags
repair, skipper