Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2023, 18:03   #1

Windows removal ?

Hi,

I have to remove a window on my boat. I’ve removed the silicon from the inside and the outside screws but I suspect there’s silicon between the screwed outside flange of the window and the fibreglass.

Does anyone have some tips on how to remove the window, in particular how to separate the outer flange from the fibreglass?

I have an idea to get some thin wire to “cut or slice the thin gap between the two but am not sure of the details.

Photo of window attached

Thanks in advance

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1677636193.095562.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	272234
tronic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2023, 20:35   #2

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: Windows removal ?

Yes. Piano wire is an old trick and depending on your windows may or may not work. My windows sit flush with the cabin sides so the caulk resides in the support structure underneath. Think of it as and L shape. How wire would work in there IDK. The other thing is where else and how much caulk did they use? My compound curve (90 degree bend wrap around windows that also change angles) came out in many pieces with a sawzall. Where it wrapped around was solid good. No way your'e ever getting that loose. Elsewhere the guy signed his name in the equivalent of 5200. I use a Fein Multitool with the caulk removal blade and attack from the inside and outsiside. When I get to where I can push it out a bit then I get razor knife blade in there. No matter how long you try and cut the caulk you will miss some strands that will hold that window in. It is a **** project. Gone with the Wynns on you tube had the yard use a fancy caulk cutter. Pretty cool. Saved them some time but probably not as much as they thought it would.

Carefully, very carefully, remove the frames. If the windows are sitting flat against the cabin sides and not inset, easy peasy. If not, you'll be attacking from inside and out and pressing, pulling, using a mechanical lever device etc.. And the razor knife.

My compound nightmare sexy windows are being redesigned. They will become several flat windows instead and use foan, fairing compound to keep the wraparound look. They may be set flat for easier servicing for the next guy and then have a trim piece that holds them in as well.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 18:29   #3

Thanks for your detailed reply. The “L-shape” you describe sounds quite similar to the flange or rebate on our windows. I need to buy some .5mm wire and see if it works. I’m thinking I might buy some scalpel blades to serve the edges to begin the separation.
Old 01-03-2023, 22:05   #4

I think scalpel blades ill just break. They are not meant for the types of sealants usd on windows. The Fein Multitool is the best option I've used. I also use a razor blade knife as well. Single edge type.

How the wire can make the 90 degree bends and still cut is beyond me. Too much resistance and you need to do the top and bottom at the same time. 90 degrees on top and again on he bottom. On Gone with the Wynns in NZ the yard came out with a expenivo pneumatic tool. Somewhat fast than the feinand way more expensive LOL. If you do buy a multitool, buy the original from Germany. Fein. I bought mine when they 1st came out. Dropped 25' on the deck etc.. and still works as good as new. They are also better balanced so less fatigue. I used a Harbor fright version and almost threw it away it was so awful. Would have had been mine LOL.

Anyway. The windows will come out but it takes time and muscle. Also, if you're not reusing the windows it goes much faster as you don't care about damage. To pull one, reuse it etc, I allow 4-5 hours per window. I've also been doing this for a very long time so have my routines down pretty good. If the wire trick works, please PM me. Always looking to learn
Old 01-03-2023, 23:57   #5

Windows removal ?

Cptn Mark ,

Do you have a photo or link of the cutter you use for your multitool? I’m not sure I’ll be able to get the blade close enough but it sounds like it’s the way to go.

Thanks again for your help.

Edit: does it look like this sort of thing?

https://www.totaltools.com.au/milwau...blade-49252241
Old 02-03-2023, 09:43   #6

Go here

https://fein.com/en_us/accessories/m..._mqsolr_mqsolr[params]=29f57e4a861416318ee241eb53e1ece3

Mine is an old one so shape is a bit different. The 1st 3 blades are what you are looking for. I've not seen the flexible blade. That one sounds interesting. Essentially it is a blade with a straight edge. No cutting teeth.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:58   #7

Boat: IP 44

I recently had a similar window project. My window had an L shaped flange but fortunately only caulked on the deck surface. I used a box cutter knife to work around the edge. Went through a few blades. They are fairly flexible. I used plastic automotive trim tools to keep it lifted as I went around the frame.

Any oscillating multi-tool will work. I have one and didnt even think about using it :-/ But the Milwaukee blade you showed above looks like it would work nicely once you got the edge lifted up a bit. Watch out for marring up your exposed gel coat.

I then used a wide blade chisel to skim off the old caulk once the window was removed.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, wind