Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2020, 14:33   #1

Wire reinforced hose for cockpit drains.

I have a cape dory 27, and there is a pretty good zig zag in the cockpit drain hose (1 1/2") from the scupper to the thru hull.

The non-reinforced hose I bought collapsed in the turns..

The wire reinforced hose sections I just got in the mail are a joke, the coil is fully exposed on the interior of the hose. It would rust away in a season. It's installed into the house after it's molded (which has two lovely lines from the mold process running up the sides waiting to split and sink my boat).

I just cannot seem to find 1 1/2" reinforced hose that isn't exhaust hose or PVC sanitation hose (at least online).

Can anyone point me somewhere? I may need to bite the bullet on the exhaust hose. Probably worth it just for the frustration.

-AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 14:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Wire reinforced hose for cockpit drains.

Weeellll...there is a sanitation hose--RaritanSaniFlex hose that's so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking. It's also 100% odor permeation resistant, but that doesn't matter for your application. Defender has 1.5" on sale for < $9/ft...which is prob'ly more than you want to spend but I can't think of anything else that won't kink. Flex PVC sanitation hose WILL kink if it's bent more than about 25 degrees.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 15:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Weeellll...there is a sanitation hose--RaritanSaniFlex hose that's so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking. It's also 100% odor permeation resistant, but that doesn't matter for your application. Defender has 1.5" on sale for < $9/ft...which is prob'ly more than you want to spend but I can't think of anything else that won't kink. Flex PVC sanitation hose WILL kink if it's bent more than about 25 degrees.

--Peggie
You know...I kept skipping over that but at $10/ft it's probably just what I needed. It's barely more than the hose I got from defender ($9/ft) and the butyl should be able to put up with the occasional chemical it may see in it's life. I think I'll pull the trigger and try my third hose.

Thank you,
AT
Old 11-06-2020, 15:18   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

This stuff is really tough. Price was around 6 euro a meter. Hope the pic is legible.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:21   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Trident 148 XHD hose
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3055679#
Make the hose longer if it kinks. Above is great stuff but doesn't like alcohol or antifreeze.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:26   #6

Boat: 2023 Catalina 425 #95 (previously, 2016 Leopard 44 catamaran and 1997 Catalina 34 Mk II)

Try Boatowners Warehouse
jonarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:25   #7

Boat: Nonsuch 354

I replaced my drain hoses with swimming pool vacuum hose. At around $4+ per ft. it isn't cheap, but I have been pleased with it. Got it at my local ACE Hardware. Check it out. It also comes in a lighter version for swimming pool drains, made the same just thinner.
Old 12-06-2020, 13:28   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
I have a cape dory 27, and there is a pretty good zig zag in the cockpit drain hose (1 1/2") from the scupper to the thru hull.

The non-reinforced hose I bought collapsed in the turns..

The wire reinforced hose sections I just got in the mail are a joke, the coil is fully exposed on the interior of the hose. It would rust away in a season. It's installed into the house after it's molded (which has two lovely lines from the mold process running up the sides waiting to split and sink my boat).

I just cannot seem to find 1 1/2" reinforced hose that isn't exhaust hose or PVC sanitation hose (at least online).

Can anyone point me somewhere? I may need to bite the bullet on the exhaust hose. Probably worth it just for the frustration.

-AT
You may look at auto radiator hose?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 06:13   #9

I ended up going with the Trident Saniflex. It worked well.

To all the people using semi-Ridgid PVC for connections like this, I've seen a lot of pictures of that type of PVC splitting. Any below the water line plumbing is a major part of your boats safety and should be taken very seriously. Your boat might have a solid 7/8" fiberglass layup that could be used to crush rocks, but the only difference between afloat and the ocean floor is your thinnest thru hull plumbing.

- AT

Tags
cockpit