Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2023, 14:55   #1

Wooden Sailboat Leak Repair

Hello,

A few years ago my family inherited a sailboat from my late grandfather, which (as of now) hasn't been used in about 8 years. Last time it was used it was leaking quite a bit.

It is a wooden lightning sailboat from the 1940's.

I'd like to repair it as it's in very good shape overall but as somebody with little sailboat knowledge I'm not sure how to approach it. I've taken some (hopefully) relevant pictures that will give an idea of the condition of the boat. I believe the main cause of leakage is some cracks along the hull (primarily where it joins to the centerboard) although I may be wrong. Any helpful advice is most appreciated and thanks for reading.

Tl;dr - I have a wooden Sailboat which has a couple of cracks along the hull and I'm not quite sure how to fix them or if it is possible. See pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230811_202946087.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	279574   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230811_202937093.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	279575  

Name:	PXL_20230811_202753740.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	279576   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230811_202730470.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	279577  

Name:	PXL_20230811_193502478.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	279578   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230811_202826705.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	279579  

Lippy_Brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 18:23   #2

Boat: Brewer 12.3
Re: Wooden Sailboat Leak Repair

put water on the inside to help identify leaks.
Oldwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 18:28   #3

Boat: EDELCAT33

It really depends if you want to stick to traditional wooden hull caulking techniques with flax and tar, or just use epoxy and forget about it….

I would recommend the epoxy way. Lots of sanding till you get a nice finish, any big gapping voids use fillers. I would add 8 oz fiberglass cloth in the hull, 2 layers near de daggerboard exit on a football shape to extend to those areas that will get hit, then just paint it white and be done and sailing in no time.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 18:31   #4

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Wooden Sailboat Leak Repair

See if there’s an owners group - they will have lots of advice and usually be happy to share it.

Oh, and I agree that epoxy is the way to go unless you desperately want to keep it “authentic”.
ChrisJHC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 19:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
It really depends if you want to stick to traditional wooden hull caulking techniques with flax and tar, or just use epoxy and forget about it….

I would recommend the epoxy way. Lots of sanding till you get a nice finish, any big gapping voids use fillers. I would add 8 oz fiberglass cloth in the hull, 2 layers near de daggerboard exit on a football shape to extend to those areas that will get hit, then just paint it white and be done and sailing in no time.
Thanks very much for your advice - I really appreciate it. Do you have any advice on what type of epoxy to use? I looked in my local L&M hardware store and found (general purpose) epoxy paste and also "marine" epoxy putty. Will one of these do or would you recommend something else? Thanks.
Old 13-08-2023, 19:35   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

Layers of paint are preventing you from seeing what the actual condition of the wood is. While the deck appears OK, any repairs to the hull - which you know leaks - will need the paint removed first. It will be easiest to turn the boat over onto sawhorses to do this. Watch out for the centerboard when you turn the boat - make sure it is firmly secured, or removed, beforehand. Because of the paint it is hard to tell if the visible cracks are actually seams (which could be filled with seam putty and painted over) or cracks in the planking that need to be repaired or replaced. Planked wooden boats like this one would often be launched and left to soak for a day or so to allow the planking to swell and then stop leaking. You might want to try this, or as Oldwheels suggested, put water in it, though if it leaks out faster than the wood swells, that could be a lot of work. Epoxy filler might be needed, but be aware that if the wood swells up against hard epoxy filler (unlike soft seam putty) it can damage the wood and cause further leaks when the wood dries again. Wooden boats can be tricky things to fix. https://www.fawcettboat.com/products...xoC0qMQAvD_BwE
You should also get in touch with the Lightning Class Association. People there have restored vintage Lightnings and will know more about how to go about it.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 19:56   #7

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

I would recommend making contact with a Lightning fleet and/or forum and ask their advice before buying materials and committing to a process.

I would buy fiberglass materials (cloth, resin) from a place that sells into the composite industry, local or mail order. In this case, buying hardware/auto/art/department store style will reduce your product selection and increase your cost.

There are wooden boat forums too...

Sounds like a fun project, al the best!
Old 14-08-2023, 01:08   #8

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

ITR a wooden boat ,if the fastenings are half decent ,remove every thing removable from the inside and sink in salt water fora couple of weeks ,pump out and see if she has tightened up ,most of that in the pikkys is just plain age related dry wood shrinkage ,swell her up ,then you will know what’s left .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 09:00   #9

Boat: F&C 44

STOP!! Things to do before you even think of picking up a tool. DO NOT fill it with water while on the trailer! Makes it much too heavy to be properly supported on the short trailer bunks, something will break. Don't even think of epoxy, or caulking or any filler yet.

Contact the Lightning Class Association, they have a page devoted to wood classics: lightningclass.org look under clasic boats, restored boats.
They can help with parts, supplies and plans for your lightning. You don't say where in the world you are but if in the eastern USA there might be a restored one near you, seek their advice.

If you can work on the boat in that shed in the picture you're lucky, looks like lot's of room. Get the boat off the trailer and on too some proper supports or a cradle. Support it high enough to lower the center board and take some weight off the hull. The center board on the lightnings was a mild steel plate and most likely rusted to where it needs to be replaced, the lightning class can help with that.

What you can do now is get rid of that powerboat running light.

Hope this helps and good luck.

PS I once owned a wooden 'sail and bail' lightning, lots of fun.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 16:47   #10

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Looking at the pics tells me that there is a lot more going on besides a couple of leaky seams.
If you can support the hull in an upside down position and then remove all the paint down to bare wood you'll have a more clear picture of what is required.
As has been posted, DON"T just start lathering epoxy everywhere.
Old 14-08-2023, 17:54   #11

Lippy:

Are you sure you wish to sink money into this project when you can buy a cruising boat all found and ready to go for less money that this project will cost you?

Racing against OTHER Lightnings in "class races" is the Lightning's raison d'etre. That is what the Lightning was designed to do. That's ALL they were meant to do. Lightnings are useless as cruising boats or family boats, and unless you have an active class association near you, one that races frequently, you'll get tired of this boat really, really quick, even if you spend thirty or forty thousand on her!

Unless this hull has especial sentimental value for you, save your money! Use the wreck as a garden ornament or run a D9 over it and burn the scraps. But not in the fireplace in your house. The fumes from the old paint would be toxic!

For five grand you can probably buy a “frozen snot” - fibreglass – Catalina 27, or better still, a Columbia 26, and give yourself and your family some real sailing pleasure on Lake Michigan. There are marinas in Grand Haven where you can keep a boat. The Cat27 is a better boat to “camp” in than is the Col 26. But the Col 26 is a damn sight nicer to sail than the Cat27 :-) You would be able to sail either of those boats the very day you fork over the cash. Ice permitting, of course :-)!

All the best to you.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 08:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Lippy:

Are you sure you wish to sink money into this project when you can buy a cruising boat all found and ready to go for less money that this project will cost you?

Racing against OTHER Lightnings in "class races" is the Lightning's raison d'etre. That is what the Lightning was designed to do. That's ALL they were meant to do. Lightnings are useless as cruising boats or family boats, and unless you have an active class association near you, one that races frequently, you'll get tired of this boat really, really quick, even if you spend thirty or forty thousand on her!

Unless this hull has especial sentimental value for you, save your money! Use the wreck as a garden ornament or run a D9 over it and burn the scraps. But not in the fireplace in your house. The fumes from the old paint would be toxic!

For five grand you can probably buy a “frozen snot” - fibreglass – Catalina 27, or better still, a Columbia 26, and give yourself and your family some real sailing pleasure on Lake Michigan. There are marinas in Grand Haven where you can keep a boat. The Cat27 is a better boat to “camp” in than is the Col 26. But the Col 26 is a damn sight nicer to sail than the Cat27 :-) You would be able to sail either of those boats the very day you fork over the cash. Ice permitting, of course :-)!

All the best to you.

TrentePieds
Thanks for the advice - but I am quite attached to this boat specifically. It was my grandpa's pride and joy and it would greatly please me to see it on the water once again. It alarms me slightly when you say I might have to sink in 30 or 40 thousand - after all the boat was on the water 6 years ago and sailing fine - albeit with some minor leaks. Are you sure this is how much will have to be invested? Thanks again.
Old 15-08-2023, 08:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSails View Post
STOP!! Things to do before you even think of picking up a tool. DO NOT fill it with water while on the trailer! Makes it much too heavy to be properly supported on the short trailer bunks, something will break. Don't even think of epoxy, or caulking or any filler yet.

Contact the Lightning Class Association, they have a page devoted to wood classics: lightningclass.org look under clasic boats, restored boats.
They can help with parts, supplies and plans for your lightning. You don't say where in the world you are but if in the eastern USA there might be a restored one near you, seek their advice.

If you can work on the boat in that shed in the picture you're lucky, looks like lot's of room. Get the boat off the trailer and on too some proper supports or a cradle. Support it high enough to lower the center board and take some weight off the hull. The center board on the lightnings was a mild steel plate and most likely rusted to where it needs to be replaced, the lightning class can help with that.

What you can do now is get rid of that powerboat running light.

Hope this helps and good luck.

PS I once owned a wooden 'sail and bail' lightning, lots of fun.
Hi, thanks for replying. I will the lightning class right away. Also, what do you mean by the "powerboat running light" (apologies - I'm new to sailboats). Thanks
Old 15-08-2023, 09:14   #14

Boat: F&C 44

The powerboat running light is the chrome thing with the red and green lens, you don't need that on a lightning.

Do you have the mast, boom, rudder, and tiller? Any hardware, blocks and rigging? If not then the rudder, tiller, and boom are easy enough to make but the mast is another level of skilled woodworking. Notice I didn't mention sails, should be easy enough to find used lightning sails in good condition.

Do you have basic woodworking skills and tools? You're going to need both.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 09:26   #15

No, Lippy, obviously I cannot be sure since I haven't been able to survey the boat. :-)

Call my estimate a "useful over-estimate" engaged in in order to knock some caution into you :-). Others have hinted less explicitly that it will be an expensive project.

You need to be honest with yourself about what your objective is. Do you wish to have an object to remind you of your grandfather just as I have my great-grandfather (irreparable) pocket watch hanging by my bed, or do you wish to bring the boat to a condition where you can participate in class races? The former you can do for not a lot of money, the latter would cost an arm and a leg.

The boat appears to be old enuff to have been built by the traditional method of carvel planking. Here is something to get you started:

https://www.lightningclass.org/conte...8&item_id=1467

One of the hidden hazards you may face - I say "may" advisedly - is that the hull planking needs refastening with new fastenings. "Stripping down" to do that is extremely costly in terms of labour, and the new fastenings are exorbitantly expensive and difficult to find. Fastenings you find at your local lumberyard just won't cut it!

We also know nothing about the rig. A new suit of sails — main, jib, genoa and spinnaker — from a reputable loft familiar with the Lightning would probably cost about $20K,

At all events, bringing the boat into racing condition would be very expensive, and it is doubtful that she would be competitive against boats of similar vintage that have been consistently raced and maintained.

Even if the boat, herself, were competitive, it is unlikely, since you are not a "career" racing man, that any "hardware" would come your way.

My post was meant to give you pause, as it has, and caution you to think very, very carefully about what you wish to do with the boat before you commit funds to the project. IMO, we have here a prime illustration of the bon mot that "boats are a hole in the water into which you pour money".

Should you wish to proceed, there are many, many members of CF who can give you good advice as you go along, and who will be glad to do so.

Cheers

TP.
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, repair, sail, sailboat, wood