Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2024, 13:28   #1

Boat: GEMINI Legacy 35x loa37' x 14'
You have DORMEO mattress???

I need to replace the factory mattresses in my GEMINI Legacy sail catamaran.

Air flow is important to deal with moisture and mattress contacting hulls.

I’m looking at dormeo topper

Anyone with experience using dormeo❓

https://www.dormeousa.com/collections/mattress-toppers
Curtwpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 03:30   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: You have DORMEO mattress???

We got the topper a month or so ago. So far, pretty good. Comfortable, not hot. OK "tv special" sale price, at the time.

While ordering, we also discovered they make mattresses, too; hadn't known that.

We did NOT order their mattress cover, since we already had one... and since even their sale price on it seemed a bit stiff. Didn't take time to read about whether their cover has some magic or not...

-Chris
Old 22-06-2024, 09:21   #3

Thanks Ranger58sb.

I having a devil of a time getting any kind of "review" specific to boating.

I see that they do have mattresses. I talked to their rep on the phone. He knew nothing. Offered to send me a brochure.

He did say that the mattress is the "same technology". But for me its waaay to thick. 10".

I told him I'm starting from scratch so would need the 1) the topper, 2) some kind of mattress to put the topper on and 3) some kind of moisture barrier under the mattress.

The moisture barrier is essential since my bed sits right in contact with the hull, which stays cold in the lake Michigan cold water. Warm air and cold hull equals Moisture !

He had nothing to say regarding mattress and barrier. .��
Old 22-06-2024, 09:39   #4

I've been designing in my head. Gradually, I've come to think that I should customize a solution

Here is what I am thinking. But with little confidence.

A bottom condensation barrier. Den-Dry https://den-dry.com/

Middle Layer - A "mattress" customized with a layer of natural latex foam. Maybe two inches. https://www.amazon.com/ARyako-Mattre...0CBK72SR9?th=1

A topper using the Dormeo product.
https://www.dormeousa.com/pages/spec...xoCEmYQAvD_BwE
Old 22-06-2024, 13:46   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, there, I looked at the link for the Dormeo product, and started to wonder a couple of things: 1) only good for 10 yrs? and 2) it was hard for me to imagine washing it in a machine, how would I get it in and out of the machine?

I did like how the woman could lie on her side, and her back was almost straight. I looked at the condensation barrier, but I have no experience with one like that, so sorry, no help there. It looks neat if it works. Could you get your money back if it didn't?

Ann
Old 23-06-2024, 03:47   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtwpk View Post
Thanks Ranger58sb.

I having a devil of a time getting any kind of "review" specific to boating.

I see that they do have mattresses. I talked to their rep on the phone. He knew nothing. Offered to send me a brochure.

He did say that the mattress is the "same technology". But for me its waaay to thick. 10".

I told him I'm starting from scratch so would need the 1) the topper, 2) some kind of mattress to put the topper on and 3) some kind of moisture barrier under the mattress.

The moisture barrier is essential since my bed sits right in contact with the hull, which stays cold in the lake Michigan cold water. Warm air and cold hull equals Moisture !

He had nothing to say regarding mattress and barrier. .��

If the top of their mattress is much like their topper, I'd probably be more inclined to do just the mattress and call it good. 10" for a mattress doesn't seem thick to me...

I dunno about moisture and barrier coating... maybe some kind of honeycomb or some such?

-Chris
Old 23-06-2024, 14:16   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We used sea grass doormats for a spacer to prevent condensation, for a while. Jim did not like the smell of them, and so we switched to a different method [using a closed cell foam bottom layer to the layers of mattress material]. The doormats cost about $3 apiece, and it took 8 of them. I tied them together with 3 mm line ties. Worked okay and the line had already been purchased. If you buy cable ties, those could be used, too. Closed cell foam is available from foam shops, or places where you could buy yoga mats or camping supplies. Often used on top of a ground cloth to keep the cold and moisture out.

The solutions don't have to cost hundreds of $$, just solve the problems.

Yes, there are interlocking squares that can make the air space, too, I think called "Froli", don't know how much they cost.

Ann