Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 08:22   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Your favorite hose nozzle to go with your boat bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
I use an inexpensive all-plastic one. Pressure works fine and when I (invariably) drop/drag it on the deck, it doesn't do any damage. It has one of those "stay "on" flip-up locks for when I need it to fill the water tanks.

Agree with all of the above. Plus, when the dock neighbors "borrow" it, or it breaks, or I drop it overboard, I just pull out another. I probably spend $3 a year on nozzles. Just not something I ever worry about.

On a related note, I picked up a couple of hanger clips somewhere. They screw into the end of the hose, and the nozzle screws into them. They have a hook that lets you hang the nozzle on a rail. I already broke one (dropped the hose onto a concrete dock) but I think I'll be buying a bunch more:

PS: This thread motivated me to search for these. $11 for 2 on Amazon, free shipping. $6 each at West Marine. $3 each plus shipping at Defender. But then: $2 each at Pep Boys. In stock at a local store. I see myself stocking up on these in the near future!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:49   #17

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Ever set down or dropped your nozzle while washing your boat and the trigger hit the deck and it went off and drenched your crotch and your glasses? I have. So I found one of these and I love it. Not sure if mine is this exact one but the one I have is a pro-grade, high quality, model.

http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Tempera...er+Hose+Nozzle
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:35   #18

Boat: cal 2-29

Exmaggie, oh I want. You win.
bird song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:11   #19

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
...anyone know of a nice, well made, pistol grip type?
Skipmac,

Like most of the rest of you, we've had a variety of hose nozzles over the years. Most don't hold up for long on the boat. [I, too, like the brass ones you describe...]

Last summer I may have finally found a simple pistol grip that will last a while for my salt water wash down hoses...

Its a Groco PGN-50 salt water nozzle [~US$12] I only have one summer's worth of use on it in strictly salt water, but so far it has been great.

FYI in case you want to give one a try.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 05-01-2016, 11:30   #20

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Ever set down or dropped your nozzle while washing your boat and the trigger hit the deck and it went off and drenched your crotch and your glasses? I have. So I found one of these and I love it. Not sure if mine is this exact one but the one I have is a pro-grade, high quality, model.

Amazon.com : Nelson High Temperature and High Pressure Rated Front Trigger Industrial Adjustable Pattern Spray Nozzle 50502 : Watering Nozzles : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Hi ExMaggie,

I wasn't so lucky as to drench myself, but instead the pistol grip landed trigger down on the dock finger [when I dropped if from the deck...] and sprayed a perfect, high pressure arc of water across the dock and swish- right into the open fore hatch on my neighbors powerboat. A blood curdling scream revealed his wife was napping, but she couldn't help but laugh [it was a warm sunny day...] when she thrust her head out of the hatch to see me scrambling for the hose nozzle on my dock finger... [This is one of those events that in reality only lasts a few seconds, but feels like hours when you are dealing with it... It is also one of those tricks you could never successfully complete no matter how many attempts or how high the wager...]

The design of the nozzle you linked would have spared her that unwelcome wake-up call, and me many beers for she and her husband at the tavern... I guess I still haven't learned my lesson...

Cheers!

Bill