Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 14:02   #1

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Your take on this shower sump setup?

New-to-us boat. Still exploring.

We HATE the horny bullfrog sound of the Whale Gulper pump someone hooked up to the shower drain.

Did some investigating. There is a working shower sump with a 600 gph, float switch-controlled bilge pump. We carefully tested it and we're positive it all works fine. The sink and a/c condensate drains into there and gets pumped overboard with no problem.

You can see that the shower drain used to be plumbed into the shower sump, too. However, someone went a bit crazy with t-ing into the lines and now the Whale Gulper, which must be on or the shower will not drain, pumps directly overboard.

I really don't see a problem with disconnecting the existing line from the Whale Gulper and routing it into the shower sump pan. If everything works like it should, the Whale Gulper could be removed.

Anyone have any reasonable, rational explanation why the pumping is set up the way it is and why it should remain like that? Any reason why I can't or shouldn't convert it back?

(yeah, I know... I need to clean the bilge.)

Thanks.

John

MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 14:24   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Your take on this shower sump setup?

Might need to do a better explanation of what we are looking at in the pics,but I'll take a stab at it.
If I have it right the hose with the T fitting is on the intake side of the pump then the water goes out the single (eventually black hose) overboard (yes??)
If this is the case, then for starters the strainer should be just before the pump intake to protect the pump not on the out side.
This set up looks like a bit of a cluster and don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to re-route it back to the shower sump. Maybe the shower sump died sometime back and this was a jury rig??

Good luck. Aren't new to you boats fun!

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, shower sump