Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 09:48   #1

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m
2 head sails, 1 genua traveller wagen

high to all,

I have installed a second forestay on my Dufour 40E,. but I have on the genau rail (27 mm Midrange Harken) one wagon, Any suggestions how to solve this problem. A 2nd wagon on each side is terribly expensive, and you cannot connect tie them up together (Wagon G274B).

Going fore wind and holding the the main boom against gybing, would a new Harken Tye Tec Thimble do the job, attached with a loop shackle fixed to the foreclamp. Or just using a standard block.
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 12:18   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: 2 head sails, 1 genua traveller wagen

Sea angel,

I apologize but I don't understand what you are asking. Could you try to rephrase?

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:36   #3

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

hi Greg,

I'l try.
I have had 1 fore sail, sheeted thru a T-track genoa lead car on the a rail/track on PS and SB with each 1 Block. Now I installed a 2nd foresail on a 2nd forstay. But how can I lead this 2nd sail. I cannot take out the sheetinglines of the genoa. A 2nd genoa car on each side are terribly expensive (around $ 350 each). Any idea how to solve this in a cheaper way?
The other question is about a block or lead ring mounted on the foredeck with a flexible soft shackle for holding the boom against unwanted gybing?

i hope this is a bit clearer now.

Thank you

Theo
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Much clearer, thanks.

If you want to use both head sails at the same time then you need a second car. It may be able to ride on the same track, if the geometries of the sails and length of track works. If you are ok with using the sails one at a time you can use the same car and just move it forward and back as needed.

The second question about the boom is called a preventer, and there are a number of discussions here detailing solutions to it. Personally I don't like them but they are popular.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 19:48   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

The sheaves on the genoa cars aren't big enough for two sheets to pass through them at the same time? That would be the simplest option. Otherwise, getting sliding padeyes and attaching snatch blocks to them should be less than $350 each.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, head sails, sail, sails