Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2023, 13:31   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461
Send a message via Skype™ to suiramor
3D printing rigging elements

Does anyone have experience with using 3D printed parts for rigging components? Ideally, I would like to get a spinnaker car like Z73P-AZT on this page. However, it is no longer available. I managed to print a similar one using my 3D printer (nothing fancy, just a simple, inexpensive thing). Are there any particular type of filament (possibly different printer) I should use to get maximum strength/compatibility with the 'real' thing? (I have already printed a few other no longer available parts but they were for non-critical, low-stress applications).
suiramor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 16:02   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: 3D printing rigging elements

Resin prints might be a little stronger than filament prints, but I don't think either one is going to be strong enough for this application, even if using ABS filament. It might be ok for very light duty work.

What you might consider is using your 3D printed part to make a mold you cast in a suitable resin. If you were very ambitious, you can also use a 3D printed part to create a mold to cast bronze.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 18:25   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Depending on your printer you can use materials like polycarbonate and nylon, but I’m not sure how their strength compares to the original. That car is potentially going to be loaded with a lot of force from the compression of the pole. 3D printing a mold sounds like a reasonable approach.
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

UNB researchers using 3D printing to accelerate shipbuilding
This advanced 3D printer is worth about a million dollars and turns powdered metals into highly efficient parts for the marine industry.
The 3D printer starts with digital design files to create specialized ship parts using metal and metal alloys. It then gradually applies incredibly thin layers of metal powder, which are fused together by lasers.

More ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ding-1.6924445

This impeller is one of many marine parts, that can be manufactured, through 3D printing.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rigging