Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2010, 23:00   #1

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
A Yankee for Inshore Sailing ?

Well, I still haven't got this boat in the water yet. I don't know what I should call it but certainly some of it's design is due to the collective wisdom I've received from all you guys.

What I want to know now is, should I add a high cut yankee to the sail wardrobe?

A few facts first. Boat is 12.5m (42'); 12t (26500lbs); 5t lead ballast (10,700lbs approx) 1.9m (6'3'') draft. Rig is a cutter rigged sloop or a sloop with a cutter stay may be a better description. Standard sails are: 135% Genoa is 54 sq m (571 sq ft). Mainsail is 36 sq m (391 sq ft). Staysail is 17 sq m and mounted on a furler and sheeted to a self tacking track.

My problem is tacking the headsail around the inner forestay when I'm sailing inshore. I've decided that I want to leave the staysail on a furler and I have read all the pros and cons on previous threads here.

Given the boat specs above, would I be better to drop the Genoa for inshore sailing and put a high cut Yankee on the headstay foil? If so what size should it be so that it will tack easily around the staysail? Can I assume that if the combined area of Yankee and Staysail = the Genoa, that it will give a similar amount of drive? The gap between the forestay and the inner forestay is about 1.3m (4')

Thanks
Greg
Old 31-10-2010, 00:51   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Why not have a removable furler so it can be taken aft and out of the way when the genny is in use.

It may be worth talking to Mcdairmids at belmont or Doyles at Bennets Green. They may be able to give you some practical advice.

Any chance of a pic of the rig?

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 01:22   #3

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Why not have a removable furler so it can be taken aft and out of the way when the genny is in use.

It may be worth talking to Mcdairmids at belmont or Doyles at Bennets Green. They may be able to give you some practical advice.

Any chance of a pic of the rig?

Cheers
Oz
Thanks OZ. I'll look into it. There's no stick up to photo yet. You can check out similar at www.bluewatercruisingyachts.com

Greg
Old 31-10-2010, 04:07   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Mine had a 110% yankee. It tacked fine, moving over the rolled up staysail in anything over 5-6 kts apparent. In the light winds, I'd have to walk it through. The combo sailed well in most wind conditions, the exception being deep angles downwind in <10 kts. A cruising spinnaker solved that problem. My boat was just a bit smaller/lighter than yours, with a full keel.

I came to really like the smaller, highcut foresail and cutter rig. With a padded luff, it served me well in conditions up to 50 kts.