Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 19:22   #16

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Re: adding a becket to a block

making a becket with some steel strap may be what I end up doing. I was hoping there was some magic bullet where the manufacturer had a page for changing over the block, but I can't find anything.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 19:28   #17

Boat: O'Day 302

Can you elaborate more on what exactly you're trying to rig/accomplish?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 20:09   #18

Bummer, 'cuz of the cam cleat you can't just put a becket on the other facing block.

Might have to suck it up to experience.

We've all been there.

Best of luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 03:17   #19

That's a little bit harder.

Without knowing how it's put together I'm guessing. I presume that there are 3 "screws" at each side, is there scope to replace them with longer screws (screws are cheap) and fit a stainless plate on end. The plate to be drilled to suit the three screws, it would have to go under the brackets for the cam cleat by the looks of it. These plates should extend below the block and either have a further hole to rig the becket from. The simplest would be use a piece of threaded rod, lock nutted to each of your new side plates and with central nuts to locate the becket.

Hope this makes sense, the only issue I can see is can you get plates under the brackets for the cam cleat. If you can then it's not precision and if you can find the plate and threaded rod as offcuts, cheap as well.

Good luck
Ian
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 07:22   #20

thanks bluebeard, when I get back to maryland I will take a look at the block and then see what I can fashion.
Old 16-07-2015, 18:56   #21

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Instead of becketting the block, can you tie off to whatever the block is attached to?

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 07:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
Instead of becketting the block, can you tie off to whatever the block is attached to?

Regards,
Richard.
I can try that first, need to make sure it doesn't get tangled.
Old 27-02-2016, 19:19   #23

Hi schoonerdog,

I just joined up specifically because I was searching for options to use with MY Lewmar block just like yours I bought about a year ago, and Google brought up your thread. Just wanted to mention that I think I have "our" problem solved so don't throw it away in disgust!

It's really funny, I ordered the block and was beside myself at the deal I'd found. Was like a kid who ordered a prize from a cereal box, often wondering "will it arrive today?" I realized it didn't have the becket, but I figured I'd do something to make it work.. Part of the equation was ego too, I always think I can come up with an elegant solution!

Finally it did arrive and boy was I disappointed! (just like the cereal prizes!) It was smaller than I expected, -especially the camcleat which MAYBE would work with 3/8" line as the block description claims, but it sure seemed inadequate. Lately I've come to appreciate how crazy strong it is and the compactness is a feature actually! I even have come to like the way it looks..

On to our actual issue Suddenly faced with doing the work-around becket, I felt like you, it just wasn't right. So today, while looking for a triple block to pair it with I came up with I'm quite sure is a solution. I have to wait to reveal this, because I have to order some stuff right now to test the idea.. but will get right back here in a few days. I have my reasons, sorry to appear to be jerking you around..

Mark
Iguana Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 20:55   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
This is it

Lewmar 40 mm Synchro Control Triple Block

I kind of feel foolish having bought it without completely thinking through what I'd need.

How about turning the upper shackle 90* and putting a long softshackle through it so it hung under the block?
Old 28-02-2016, 03:20   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mark.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:03   #26

So here's what I discovered. First the way the cam cleat is configured, it only works as the top block in a tackle which could work fine as a vang, but I wanted to use it with a mainsheet or to hoist my dinghies to the rafters for storage..

After too much fiddling with it at my desk I figured out that I had to unbolt and flip the cleat upside down to work. Normally this would bother me but it actually looks better than the tiny cleat as normally configured IMHO, and I've seen cleats used this way on blocks stock from another manufacturer. The line guide is unde the bracket the cleat sits on but works because there is a gap in the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Block Lower.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	120178  
Old 07-03-2016, 09:17   #27

Next, for the becket, my advice is "throw good money after bad" Or: " in for 10 cents, in for a dollar"

As you can see in the photo, the bracket for the cleat unbolts, revealing a standard Lewmar "control block" . So just order a plain triple Lewmar Control Block WITH becket, and swap the cleat and bracket and the adaptor parts to the new plain triple block with becket. hen use the old block as a "standard triple"

Yeah the plain triple block with becket is about $75 from Defender, but the bargain basement block we already have the tackle with 2 blocks is still a huge bargain at $120

Lewmar 40 mm Synchro Control Triple Block
Attached Images

Old 31-03-2016, 08:13   #28

rotating it out of the way is what I ended up doing. Thank you guys for the ideas, and Iguana Mark!
Old 31-03-2016, 19:43   #29

I had bought one a year ago and had no idea that they still had some of these blocks at Defender but Schoonerdogs post made me check. So I went and scooped up three more! AND bought 4 of the triple blocks with becket!

Defender still has the triple with becket at around $76 to work with the bocks Schoonerdog and I got got, but it turns out I got all the remaining cheap triple blocks with cleats. Sorry.. but maybe some of you out there have them.. So now I have four 6:1 block and tackles with a 700Kg working load for around $460. A pretty decent deal..

Plus I'm happy it made me sign up here, I like it..