Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2013, 16:42   #16

Re: Adding Mast Steps/Foot Holds

Personally I don't like mast steps up the whole mast. Like others I installed a couple so I could perch comfy at the mast head and I had a few on the lower section so wifey could climb up for a good view when we were entering passes full of coral bombies.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 16:51   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If your single handed , Fix your stuff before ya leave ! and have an extra halyard to pull extra lines if needed and the addition of a six lay lifting rig as stated above would sure be a logical addition to your equipment!! I personaly dislike any type of mast steps. But then I don't single hand! never have never will! Not that I can't or have not just don't wish to !! and theres MANY more folks on here that don't sail singlehanded, except for very short trips! Would be good to state stuff like that in the start of a thread! LOL makes it easier to reply or not to if thats the thing to do !! Just sayin my wife can raise me or I her if needed !! So we have a way to fix our stuff without any steps ! sorry if my answer was not what you were looking for !!
Old 21-03-2013, 18:31   #18

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Boatsail,

If you're single-handled, use a 6 part tackle to haul yourself aloft, like the young, skinny riggers, use, and even some older, less skinny ones, too! You might consider a climbing harness, instead of or in addition to a boatswain's chair. Jim installed two steps about 4 ft. below the masthead, for him to be able to stand on and work on the stuff up there. Ours are aluminum folders, screwed in, using lanolin to impede galvanic corrosion.

Yes, having two steps the same level will make it much easier to attach the halyard to the mains'l. We can't all be 6'4" tall, quite an advantage that can be!

Ann Cate, back in Pt. Cygnet, Tas
I use my climbing harnessfor safety and snap in.

Tell me about your six part tackle....I think I'm skinny enough and would love to learn.
Old 21-03-2013, 18:55   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A 6 part tackle means you'll have to heave 300' of line to pull yourself to the top of a 50' mast. Force is all upper body so you better be in decent shape to haul yourself to the masthead. Finding a way to use your legs like the Mast Climber or mountain climbing gear is way way more practical.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 18:58   #20

Thanks Peter. I get it. For the "gear ratio". Was not familiar with term, but am familiar with the way to run the lines.
Old 21-03-2013, 18:59   #21

Back and forth through blocks to get the mechanical advantage.
Old 21-03-2013, 19:35   #22

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

hi Robert Sailor there is a lot of great replies here but really from my own experiance the triangle step that holds your foot in place is the only way to go. I have had to go up the mast several times in my life at sea ( and yes BobConnie I do have well prepared boats and spare haliyards ) and the swinging of the mast is like going around a 180deg corner in a formular one car. There is little you can do to stop Murphys Law and it will happen if you are an active cruiser, from what I hear and see lots of sailors ? dont like the look of the open triangles and fit the fold up units as it makes the boat look better " we cant look too much like grotty yachties can we "
UUUUUUGGGGG!!!!
As for the the hauling up in a harness with block and tackle I would like to see that done in a big sea if you made it you would be one hell of a mess when you got back down after being smashed agianst the mast countless times.
Hope this gives you some thoughts about the use of steps they are not there to look pretty they are there for your safety

Good sailing Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 20:41   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We don't have any on the mast. I have a few in the bow for climbing up the bulkead to the V-berth and on up to the hatch. It was better than pulling drawers out a couple inches for foot holds. We use the Milwaukee right angle 1/2 inch 28 volt drill with winch adapter or the electric primaries to haul the bosun's seat.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 12:07   #24

Boat: Boatless

Lots of good advice. What about the use of various fastners to the mast. Is there a best way?

Jim
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 12:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Lots of good advice. What about the use of various fastners to the mast. Is there a best way?

Jim
like best boat or anchor, it is a matter of opinion...i did not want screws...
Old 22-03-2013, 12:22   #26

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
like best boat or anchor, it is a matter of opinion...i did not want screws...
Pros and cons for each. I guess I am leaning to a stainless hex head screw that will penetrate no more than 1/8 in beyond the mast interior.
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 12:34   #27

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
I am having mast steps made and would like some opinions.

They will be 3" x 3" x 1/4" aluminum angle and 2 1/2" wide. Pretty much same as Scrimshaw (see pic). Except that I intend to install them with the fasteners underneath the flange. That way I will have an extra 1/4" foothold. I will also apply a non-skid to the tread surface.

Fasteners? I have ruled out rivets because they will be more difficult for me to apply with mast up and are harder to remove if need be.

I am considering hex head screw at a length that doesn't protrude the internal mast more than ? 1/4" ?. What say you?

Also what diameter and how many holes per tread? I am thinking maybe 4 holes instead of 3. That way I can use a smaller diameter and get the same or more strength. ?? What say you.

Also, if anyone likes this idea for their boat I can have these made for you, too.
These would be a disaster. Use the fold out ones=SAFETY
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 13:06   #28

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Love my fold out mast steps and I have them all the way to the top. I use a rock climbing ascender attatched to a spare halyard for my safety line. The steps /ascender combination make mast climbing so easy singlehanded. I haven't tried it at sea and think that would be diabolical with or without steps. The advantage of the steps are that you are using the strongest muscles in your body and you can do it without needing anybody else.
Old 22-03-2013, 13:11   #29
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I used triangle alum tube type of mast steps fixed with stainless steel machine screws. I covered the inside step with anti-slip tape. I preferred these types of steps because they don't seem to catch things on them, and your foot is in something in case the boat rolls a bit (sort of like a stirrup). You might want to adjust the angle forward or backwards a bit for mainsail downwind issues.

I started above the hoist winch (which I used as a step) and had an extra at the top to hook my harness into. Two also were at the top parallel to act as a resting place when working on the light etc.

To install I used a drill, a tap, some locking sealant for the screws, and a chalk line. Measure 3x, drill 1x.

These particular steps I used are hard to find these days. The ones posted above are more readily available but are more expensive.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 13:39   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have nice woood masts and no steps.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast