Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2022, 08:44   #1

Boat: Neel 51
Adding new halyard exit

Hello, I plan to add another halyard exit. The mast is from Z-Spars. The only fitting instruction I was able to find is from Selden which recommends each exit should be 300mm apart.

Please look at the picture and tell me if it generally OK to add another hole in mast like this?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	halyard exit plan.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	266550  
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 16:21   #2

Re: Adding new halyard exit

Have you tried contacting Z-spar? They would have the data to do the engineering calculations we would only be guessing at.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 16:45   #3

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I wouldn't hesitate to put another one in as you suggest. The 300 mm spacing sounds like a good general practice, but is probably very conservative.

Of course, it's not my mast. But if it were, I would do it.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 18:13   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I have a couple of questions:

You already have four exits on the starboard side of the mast, I wonder if you could not put some exits on the port side of the mast?

I am not sure what you are going to use the new exit for but it seems like it will be too low for you to pull the line out of it with any leverage. It is best if it is higher up so if you ever imagine you will be at the mast pulling on that line you can pull down.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:34   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I have a couple of questions:

You already have four exits on the starboard side of the mast, I wonder if you could not put some exits on the port side of the mast?

I am not sure what you are going to use the new exit for but it seems like it will be too low for you to pull the line out of it with any leverage. It is best if it is higher up so if you ever imagine you will be at the mast pulling on that line you can pull down.
^^^^ this.
The picture does not show the distance from the deck, but I agree that the new one will be too low.
Other than that I dont see why you need calculations... i would be more concerned about setting it up inside with all the others to prevent crossing them.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
^^^^ this.
The picture does not show the distance from the deck, but I agree that the new one will be too low.
Other than that I dont see why you need calculations... i would be more concerned about setting it up inside with all the others to prevent crossing them.
In my opinion crossing the halyards (and even crossing them with wires, is not an issue. On a 60ft mast the cross will be very gradual and not cause a problem.

Over the years we have dropped several halyards and wires down from the top of the mast, and we have to assume that some of the crossed (even though we tip the boat to keep them on one side or the other of the mast). We have no conduits. There have not been aby problems with chafe or friction that we can detect due to crossing of halyards or wires in the mast.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:56   #7

Boat: X442

There should also be a water break or seal just below the lowest exit point. This so that water does not run down the mast on the inside, into the boat. Wiring goes through via a tube which sticks out above this horizontal bulkhead. At least my Sparcraft mast has this and I would assume it's the same for many other masts.

This more or less rules out exiting the mast lower than the lowest exit currently in place. Moving that bulkhead I would not attempt.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 13:59   #8

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

On the subject of 'dropping a new halyard '. My experience- I broke and lost a light halyard, in conduit. Mast has a approx 300mm bow ,in tension. Dropping a new halyard , not in conduit ,caused chaffe to Lazy Jacks. Ended up running external halyard ,until I work out how to run it in to conduit. Lesson for me - watch out for unseen chaffe !
BobFord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 14:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
On the subject of 'dropping a new halyard '. My experience- I broke and lost a light halyard, in conduit. Mast has a approx 300mm bow ,in tension. Dropping a new halyard , not in conduit ,caused chaffe to Lazy Jacks. Ended up running external halyard ,until I work out how to run it in to conduit. Lesson for me - watch out for unseen chaffe !
How to run new halyard in existing conduit:

Assuming that some other light halyard also runs in the conduit. Secure two light "mouse" lines (any light weight but strong string) to the end of the tail of the remaining halyard.

Pull the halyard out by the shackle end, pulling two lines through. Untie one mouse line and use the other to re-lead the existing halyard. Now you have the other mouse line to pull a new halyard through.

However, if there is only the empty conduit with nothing in it, then you have an issue.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
Have you tried contacting Z-spar? They would have the data to do the engineering calculations we would only be guessing at.

The Z-Spar's website looks like it have been forgotten 20 years ago. I asked them anyway. No answer for a week.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:37   #11

UPDATE: I decided to make the new exit on the port side. There's now 2 headsails exit and plenty of space.

The new halyard is supposed to be a backup halyard but on the port side it's harder to arrange blocks going to the winches on the starboard side. But for a backup halyard it's not important.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Tags
halyard