Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17   #16

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design
What?

Gordmay stumped???

There is hope for me yet!
:-)
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
That's the same Tony Smith who doesn't believe in backing at all, and used cleats that you can barely fit 2 lines on.

I did ask this question in the owners group, though.

So are you guys talking padeyes on the sides of the bows, with the line spliced on?

I guess another potential solution would be simply backing the current cleats, adding fairleads to the edge of the deck, and some serious chafe gear on the lines?

Looking at your set up may I suggest a largish fairlead as far up the bow as you can fix firmly and astheticaly... that will make the strain on your cleats go with their strengths.. lengthways
For anti chafe use the next size up plastic water hose.. great stuff... either stick with what you've got or upsize.. your choice

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:31   #18

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
I am not sure how this would work on a multihull, but all of my cruising boats have used a double holed bobstay fitting. The second hole is for a snubber line of nylon. After anchoring, I attach the snubber line to the anchor rode with a rolling hitch and let the snubber out until the rode is slack [the snubber now taking the strain] No chafe to anything - boat or rode. I would be more concerned with the chafe on the anchor rode itself than on the boat. Boat chafe can be fixed, if the rode breaks you lose at least your anchor ....
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:01   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What’s a Casanova bail?

There are standards for “Design Loads for Sizing Deck Hardware” (ABYC H-40)

ABYC 40.4.4.3.1 “All fastenings of mooring points shall have a safe working load greater than, and be fastene3d to withstand, twice the permanent mooring loads in Table 1.”

Table 1 ➥ Design Loads for Deck Hardware - ABYC Section H-40, table 1 Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

Unfortunately, I’ve never seen a manufacturer of deck hardware provide the information required to correlate specific products to the standard. To their discredit, they don’t generally provide any meaningful engineering information, at all.
Casanova Bails? It's a multihull thing. John Casanova is credited with originating the idea, which is a combination u-bolt/clamp/pad eye placed around the hull ends of the tubes connecting the bows of a multihull. It was used to deploy a parachute sea anchor. The benifit, in addition to being an easily engineered strong point on many multihulls, was the reduction of chafe (like pad eyes inside the bows). Working inside the finly tapered bows of a trimaran is torture and can be impossible. Catamarans are not a lot better.

And you're right about the lack of data on deck hardware. Everything is rated, BUT the cleat. Disappointing.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:49   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
I would be more concerned with the chafe on the anchor rode itself than on the boat. Boat chafe can be fixed, if the rode breaks you lose at least your anchor ....
I'm concerned with chafe on the bridle from the boat. My rode is all chain.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleats