Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 05:14   #1

Boat: Sabre 36
Adding Rope Clutch to Mast

I want to make a base plate for a double rope clutch or should I just mount two.
Any recommendations on base blare material and procedure of how to create the mast profile?
LIsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 12:31   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Adding Rope Clutch to Mast

LIsailor it is a difficult question to answer without knowing the profile of the mast. I have single clutches on my boat and the bases are all nylon so I don't have to worry about dissimilar metal corrosion. I drill and tap the holes then mount them. A real nice tool for doing this is the self centering drill bit Drills, Drivers, & Bits | Bits-Woodworking | Self-Centering Hinge Bit (No. 8 & 10 Screws) | B249572 - GlobalIndustrial.com I tap the first hole. Then use the self centering bit to find the exact location for the second hole. It has not failed me yet. BTW I know nothing about this company it is just an example of the tool.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 13:21   #3

Thanks Charlie for the info. That bit looks great.
My question to clarify was really about the base plate. The mast is a decent size and the shape, while curved, is close to flat.
As an example, I was considering using a piece of ipe (iron wood), cutting the profile to on side using multiple passes on a table saw at different blade heights to make the profile. then sanding to cleanup the curve.
I was curious if anyone had another or better approach. Or a source for some sort of universal plate for clutches. I have found one for winches.
Old 31-08-2011, 13:29   #4

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

i am going to make epoxy bases from the winches on my mast, i intend to do it as follows:

-wrap mast in visqueen or 1 layer of thin plastic, maybe an 18" section so i can make a big blank and cut out a few bases
-make dams out of cardboard, plastic, anything handy on the 4 sides, tape them to the mast/plastic
-mix up some epoxy, mix in cabosil, pour in the half section mold...
-pop piece off of mast and mark the templates on the flat top surface.
-cut and install pieces...

same will work for a rope clutch...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 13:29   #5

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Mount clutches directly on the mast, drill and tap holes and seal with tef-gel to prevent corrosion between mast and fasteners.

Wood is not advisable- you are inserting a softer material between two metal objects that you essentially want to weld together.
Fair winds!!!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 13:39   #6

Sailnautilus
Good point about the wood. Partly why I was considering ipe beyond it's high resistance to rot (like teak but harder)

Which brings me to:
PressureDrop
Great idea! Duh. I've recored decks, vacuum bagged, an many other glass/resin based projects. Why didn't I think of that? On top of that I presently have my mast horizontal. Perfect.
One thing I'd add or consider. Maybe add some chopped glass to the mixture to make it a little more solid. To fight the pulling stresses the screw pressure will cause against the curved surface.
Thanks!
Old 31-08-2011, 14:06   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I just did this.

I got some 1/4" aluminium sheet and some 3" channel.

I cut the channel to the length of the jammers, they were 3" wide so that worked.

I cut the plate to the right length and about 8" wide then bent it to the profile of the mast using a hydraulic conduit bender.

I cut the channel down so that it sat on the crown of the bend and welded it to the plate.

This gave me a flat surface for the jammers about a 1/2" higher than normal.

I tapped the aluminum channel and plate to connect the jammers.

I used a rivet with an internal thread to put threads in the mast.

I screwed the whole shegan to the mast.

My thought is that this will reinforce the mast rather than weaken it.

No pics but I can post some next week if you are interested.

You just have to promise to not laugh at my Shreck welds.

Shreck = strong but ugly.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 18:36   #8

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
I would consider using starbord. If the curve is not much a table belt sander is a good option to give the shape. Harbor freight has it cheap.
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 19:34   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

If you can find this style tap, it is the best for tapping aluminum. Be sure to use cutting fluid, which for aluminum is cutting oil and water.
- - As "sailnautilus" posted use "Tefgel" or a similar product "Lanacote" on the threads of your machine screws (bolts) when installing them in the mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spiral-Flute-Tap-2PJA9_AS01.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	31032  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 20:31   #10

It's usually stronger to mount directly to the mast and minimize the length of screw that is subject to a bending force.

I just drill, tap and use plenty of tef-gel. I also cut a piece of UMWH tape to the shape of the hardware base plus 1/8". This stops electrolysis (if the hardware is stainless) and also protects any mast paint from tiny scratches that give water a chance to work in.

Amazon.com: UHMW SLICK TAPE - 3" X 36" BY PEACHTREE WOODWORKING PW1117: Everything Else

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 19:03   #11

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

If drilling and tapping the mast I'd advise using helicoil inserts to reduce the chance of stripping the threads in the (relatively soft) aluminium. Always use an appropriate anti-corrosion compound wherever you are putting stainless steel in contact with aluminium - Duralac or similar.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 17:33   #12

There is a great deal on a pair of Spinlock XAS single clutches. I have decided to go with 2 singles. I was originally looking to go with XTS but I think the XAS would be more than sufficient for my purpose. The boat is a 1985 Sabre 36. Am I wrong?
Old 13-09-2011, 16:08   #13

I am having trouble differentiating the difference between the XAS and XTS other than maximum working load.
Old 13-09-2011, 17:56   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

The load factor is the difference. The XTS series is heavier and stronger than the XAS series. If you have a small boat your line loads are normally smaller and you don't need the heavier, beefier XTS. On a larger boat the line load are considerably higher so using a XAS would be risking possible failure of the unit, which is something you don't need when out in a blow.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 05:28   #15

Just got a great deal on 2 XCS clutches. Thanks for all the input.

Tags
clutch, mast