Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2021, 11:57   #1

Boat: Bayfield 36
advice on tall winch handle

Hello all, my winch handles interfere with my life lines when cranking on my winches. I have 3 solutions, raise winches with pads, move/ remove lower lifelines, or find a tall winch handle. The only fix I “want” to do it taller winch handles. most have a 1.5” rise. Does anyone know of any taller ones? I only need another inch or less.

Thanks
seahaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 12:05   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: advice on tall winch handle

Adding winch pads seems like a reasonable approach. Then you can get the exact height needed vs. search for something that may sort of fit.

How easy is it to get the winch bolts? Added bonus is to clean the winch guts when you take them off.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 12:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Adding winch pads seems like a reasonable approach. Then you can get the exact height needed vs. search for something that may sort of fit.

How easy is it to get the winch bolts? Added bonus is to clean the winch guts when you take them off.
Thanks Bill O, I’m not sure I want to line angle that much from the deck, per the winch manufacturer it should be less than 8 deg.
Old 18-12-2021, 12:31   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Looked at a Bayfield 36 on YW quickly.

Are your blocks attached to the alum. toe rail? If you added a longer shackle (soft shackle?) to the block would that help you maintain the 5-8 degree angle coming into the block if you added a pad?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 14:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Looked at a Bayfield 36 on YW quickly.

Are your blocks attached to the alum. toe rail? If you added a longer shackle (soft shackle?) to the block would that help you maintain the 5-8 degree angle coming into the block if you added a pad?
Yes they are, now you can see why I would prefer a tall handle. A soft shackle would probably work.
Old 19-12-2021, 11:30   #6

If you have toe-rails with holes could you rig a line to the lower life-line and pull it down a bit, out of the way. It need not look tacky if you do a neat job.
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 00:08   #7

I’m surprised that none of the replies you’ve received give any real help. There are some makes of winch handles that are more cranked up than the standard flat bar with handle type. We did start looking for some for a previous boat but the fact that the issue was only with the rarely used spinnaker winches, the reluctance to buy lots of handles and subsequent change of boat stopped the search. Such handles are out there. If you can find a chandlery with a good returns policy you should be able to solve this issue.
KRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 00:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMS View Post
I’m surprised that none of the replies you’ve received give any real help. There are some makes of winch handles that are more cranked up than the standard flat bar with handle type. We did start looking for some for a previous boat but the fact that the issue was only with the rarely used spinnaker winches, the reluctance to buy lots of handles and subsequent change of boat stopped the search. Such handles are out there. If you can find a chandlery with a good returns policy you should be able to solve this issue.
Google winch handle and look at the images to identify brands to order and try.
KRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 03:30   #9

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Have you considered the battery operated winch handles, none of this silly round and round stuff.
Old 25-12-2021, 07:37   #10

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

I dont suppose you could get away with shorter winch handles? I know those exist, you might have to shift speeds sooner, but your line geometry will remain the same.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 05:00   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Would something like this socket adapter help?
https://www.harken.com/en/shop/15sta...erforma-winch/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 06:36   #12

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
I dont suppose you could get away with shorter winch handles? I know those exist, you might have to shift speeds sooner, but your line geometry will remain the same.
I had the same problem, so tried shorter (arm) handles, they were a lot more work.

Our interference was striking the lifeline but the handle could still go 360, so it was more of an annoyance than prohibitive. Not sure what OPs situation is. We ended up with taller two hand handles that allowed better placement of hands; didn’t eliminate the interference but made it acceptable.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 11:54   #13

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Second lifelines serve a purpose (and are required by ABYC) so removal is probably not a great solution. Tying it down an inch sounds like a good solution if that would work.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 13:31   #14

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I personally would consider removing the lower lifeline at that location of the winch. Terminate the lower lifeline at the next stanchion forward. If there is another stanchion aft of the winch resume the lifeline there and continue to the pushput. This also allows you to put one leg out on the toe rail and straddle the winch for better power.

We were the beneficiary of an opposite problem. A fellow cruiser had winches which were too tall. There were three speed winches and he bitched that the handles hit the lifeline. I observed that I had the exact same winches as his but mine were only two speed and they were two inches lower. I proposed a trade, which he readily accepted.

In a few hours I had nice, nearly unused, three speed secondary winches and he had well used two speed winches which fit his boat. I believed I came out well ahead in that deal but he was happy that the handles cleared the lifelines and since neither he or his boat were frequent sailors he never noticed the loss or suffered much without the third speed capability.

Tags
Advice, winch