Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 03:05   #1

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93
Age of halyard

I have an extra 14mm halyard for a storm headsail. The age of the halyard is "Old" and "Extra Mouldy"

But, it shows no fluffing, no wear and no external signs of deterioration, other than losing colour gaining mould.

Assuming it's Poly double braid

How do you know if it needs replacing other than "old and yuck"

Thanks
Paul
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Age of halyard

UV damage is a killer. I'll bet that as soon as you put a load on it passing over a sheave or two and wrapped on a winch, it'll go all fuzzy. Those cover strands are just waiting for an excuse to puff out.
Why not try it out before you need it in a storm? You could also gently wash it and see how it looks afterward.
Or you could avoid sailing in heavy weather and never need it.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:48   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

The halyards on my boat were very dirty and moldy looking from the boat having been on the hard for 5 years.

The PO had been on a 2 year cruise before that starting in 2004.

When I bought the boat in 2011, I washed those halyards in the bathtub. I let them soak overnight. They came out looking very good.

They were for the main and jib.

I replaced them last year.....2019.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:52   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The halyards on my boat were very dirty and moldy looking from the boat having been on the hard for 5 years.

The PO had been on a 2 year cruise before that starting in 2004.

When I bought the boat in 2011, I washed those halyards in the bathtub. I let them soak overnight. They came out looking very good.

They were for the main and jib.

I replaced them last year.....2019.
Cleaned all of ours in a 55 gallon drum and then soaked them in the pool for a few days. Then, back on the boat. That was 12 years ago.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:01   #5

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I think it is like reefing. If you ask yourself if you need to put in a reef, it is already more then time.
If you ask yourself if you need to replace halyards, it is already more then necessary.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:03   #6

Mold doesn't damage the fibers but treating the mold might. Dirt is more of a factor. It migrates to the core and acts as an abrasive.

Samson has a technical paper entitled Tension Fatigue Testing. I wasn't able to paste it into this response. Provides data to help determine remaining service.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:38   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

How do you know if it needs replacing?

Wash it. In anything that will contain it, fresh water, and laundry soap. If there's diesel spilled on it, I would spray that first, it will need more detergent action, or rub it with waterless hand cleaner. As thomm and Nicholson 58 did, let it sit overnight, which allows the laundry detergent to loosen the soil, then swish it around till dirt stops coming out of it. Rinse, and let dry.

I think the line itself will be in good condition, so long as it has not been exposed to sunlight's UV.

Ann
Old 05-11-2020, 18:21   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Lots to do in prep for getting out cruising next year...

Our local rigger has stated that too many of us are living in a Sta-Set mindset. There are newer fibers that we as cruisers could use to our advantage.

With the new fibers strength has become a lessor concern with stretch becoming the size and fiber selector.

Specifically, he was suggesting something like Warpspeed II (or Endura) for the roller furling halyard. The lower stretch of Dyneema cored (core dependent) lines would reduce wear and strain on the furler as the wind loading increases.

This makes sense to me.

He has a preference for Samson so he suggested MLX 3 for non roller furling halyards and XLS 3 for sheets. Interestingly, he suggested any single braid for control lines.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 20:21   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

a. The OP said was extra, but did NOT say how many years in the sun. Time in dark storage, including mildew, hardly count with polyester. Of course, if it's lost color, that is evidence of some UV damamge.

b. Polyester halyards are sized for stretch, not strength, and thus are generally MUCH stronger than they need to be.
c. You can determine if it is PDB with simple tests; Dyneema floats, aramids don't melt, etc.
Old 06-11-2020, 13:34   #10

So I would not want to rely on old and moldy halyard in off-shore cruising, but...

I have/had some old sheets and lines that were very stiff and dirty.I replaced jib sheets outright due to poor condition. Rigging guy at west marine looked at furling line and said there is no it is useable ( was actively causing problems with roller furling drum buildup).

I soaked it in mild laundry detergent, agitated, changed water and soaked it again, then drained and washed it in a bucket with some more mild detergent. Came out nicely - much cleaner, much more supple, and maybe even thinner (because it lost lots of salt and dirt embedded between the fibers).
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard