Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 14:10   #16

Boat: Ranger 33
Re: All the Stainless Wire Rigging is Rusting on One Strand?

I rerigged in May 2012 and by July, 2012 the lowers had the single strand rust problem. (Uppers are different diameter/different spool) Just got the rigger to 'clean' them. He thinks it won't come back. I'm watching it. I posted pictures in my account. He sent the pics to the Korean manufacturer so this is not expected/usual for him IMHO. Of course I'm being told 'don't worry about it'. We'll see. I'm on SF Bay so instead of 'milk' we've 'Got Salt'.
ringydingydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 14:21   #17

Boat: Ranger 33

Commenting on Kalinka's msg:
Could it be 304 wire instead of 316? 304 stronger but not so stain resistant in the tropics. I re rigged this spring with the 304 it discoloured quicker than the 316 in the salt water.

It is my 316 that rusted. The uppers are 304 and sparkle like the 15-20 year old stuff I replaced...
ringydingydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 14:59   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringydingydo
Commenting on Kalinka's msg:
Could it be 304 wire instead of 316? 304 stronger but not so stain resistant in the tropics. I re rigged this spring with the 304 it discoloured quicker than the 316 in the salt water.

It is my 316 that rusted. The uppers are 304 and sparkle like the 15-20 year old stuff I replaced...
My 316 wire also candy striped. But it's been three years and hasn't gotten any worse.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 18:24   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post

(...) Does this indicate that one of the strands was created with a lower grade steel? Does this put all the rigging into doubt, since all the shrouds are exhibiting this?

Cheers- Matt
It does indicate the rigging needs cleaning.

I did not notice any relationship between rusty marks and failure in our rigging nor in rigging of any of the boats I have sailed.

I did notice newer SS wire corrodes more than older wire. Probably change in manufacturing procedure / composition.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 19:34   #20

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It does indicate the rigging needs cleaning.

I did not notice any relationship between rusty marks and failure in our rigging nor in rigging of any of the boats I have sailed.

I did notice newer SS wire corrodes more than older wire. Probably change in manufacturing procedure / composition.

b.
Well I hope you're right and we have the same luck as you- we've since put an offer on the boat and will be closing shortly. When we went back to do the survey, the striping seems to have mostly dissapeared- so perhaps it just needed a good rain to clean it off...
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:48   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

The rigging failures I have seen were:

- toggles (3x - the flat/plate toggles),
- wire failure just above/below swagged terminal (2x),
- backing plates (4x),
- chainplates (3x).

Replace and check your rigging and all associated hardware with generally recommended frequency and you are standing a very good chance of avoiding any rigging failure. Alignment and proper sizing are of paramount importance.

If it is a new (to you) boat you may resolve to replace all standing rigging (and associated mast/deck hardware) but this seems only worth it if you are going for an out and out cruising route - far offshore and far from any service points.

If in doubt, hire a local rigger and have them review everything and deliver a written report/opinion to you.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging