Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2018, 07:58   #1

Boat: Privilege 435
Alternatives to paying silly prices for torsion cable accessories.

I'm upgrading the anti-torsion cable on my asym spinnaker.

I've got a Karver KF5 and the thimbles all ready to go. As with anything purchased from a marine store, the price of the cable clamps to go with the rope are crazy. If a buy the Karver ones, I'm looking at over $600 for both ends. Even the cheaper Colligo clamps are going to set me back in excess of $250.
Click image for larger version

Name:	colligo.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	174661

Why can't I use a four of these...

Name:   nicopress.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  4.2 KB

There are made from tougher material than the Colligo clamps, they cost $10 each and as long as you crimp them so as to not overly compress the torsion cable there is no chance of them coming loose, especially as the considerable forces are exerted in parallel. I know, I know, I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy the marine ones but it does irk me having to so.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 08:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Alternatives to paying silly prices for torsion cable accessories.

Are the Colligo clamps designed for a smooth clamp-pressure transition? It looks like the Nicopress sleeves would give you abrupt transitions and sharp edges, stressing the line significantly. Perhaps you could smoothly ream and taper the Nicopress openings?
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 13:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

If you use the Nicopress sleeves then the cover will break and the core will slide out. Seen it before.
We machine sew the torsion cables and cover with heat shrink, costs next to nothing.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 13:52   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Then I suppose there is no reason not to hand sew, if a machine is not handy? It's a matter of getting in enough stitches through the core. Push the needle with a cutting board rather than a palm. The below probably took 5 minutes.

This tested at 6800 pounds (18 passes of doubled #8 twine). Use spectra and more stitches. Heat shrink and tubular webbing make good covers.

I broken hundreds of samples of nylon, polyester, and HMPE in testing, but I never worked with torsion rope; the question never came up. Quite stiff.

I would definitely trust a sewn eye as much as the mechanical eye. I also tested sewn eyes for abrasion and cut threads; they are not fragile. Most industrial climbing gear uses sewn eyes.

Tags
price