Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2022, 15:25   #16

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Am I nuts for thinking this might work!

OP: your theory is good - but the application needs work.

As others said, a tabernacle type mast step is usually required. A 'tabernacle' allows the mast to pivot at the base. You should also fabricate a 'gin pole'. Note a 'gin pole' has nothing to do with tonic, or martini's. It is a pole or beam, usually as long as the distance from the front of the mast to the bow of the boat. It attaches to the mast, near the base. The raising line you will be pulling on (to raise the mast) then runs from the mast head, over the end of the gin pole away from the mast, then to a block attached at the bow, then aft to a winch.

There are other gin pole configurations beyond what I described. I suggest you do a Google search for alternatives.

But, for what you want to do? I'd just find an alternative mast crane you can use.
Old 10-05-2022, 23:35   #17

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Catalina is still in business. Why not call them and ask if the cable has a connection there? On my mast there is. There is also an inspection plate that allows access to those connections.

If catalina says there are no connections between the 2 then I'd be looking for corrosion.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:11   #18

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I think it’s nuts and would wait for the crane. Btw my boat as well as my fist had access played at the base of the mast……
If you desire to move forward with this make sure you record the action!
K
Good luck!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:00   #19

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1129 View Post
I have a Catalina 270 with a deck stepped mast and I need to check the connections at the base of the mast. I'm not getting a signal from my wind speed indicator. The yard has scheduled a crane three times and they have been a no show three times.

My crazy idea is this:

Secure my jib halyard to a bow cleat and run the mainsail halyard to a block on the stern, then to a winch. Remove the fore and back stays, loosen the shrouds and tilt the mast forward enough so I can get to the connectors. Once I've resolved my issue, I would crank the mast back up with the halyard on the winch.

Am I nuts or what?
Yes, your correct to ask this question.
While it seems easy, it's NOT.
And dangerous!
You have no side to side movement compensated for, side main stays, or intermediate stays addressed.
Wait for the crane or rent one.
If your in vitro, do not try it.
Suggest when you step that mast, you open up enough room under it to pass all those wires, In to a cabin area, so they can be addressed in the future as needed.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
Not really nuts.
The boat is a CS27

Lousy video, the language you hear is what passes for French in Quebec but ..

Now I've seen someone do this!
I still say No!
Too many things can go wrong.
Boatyarddog
Old 14-05-2022, 01:47   #21

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

To the OP: If your wind speed cable is indeed connected inside the the mast and you do need to lift the mast to get at it. Save big bucks on a crane and try this:
I lifted my 50 foot deck-stepped mast off its mounting pad by creating a "A" frame (I used my 2 heavy duty spinnaker poles, but for your lightweight mast you could use 2X4's). The 2X4's are overlapped at one end drilled through and connected by a bolt Tie a block on the place where the 2X4's cross. Put a long line through the block. Tie one end of the line around the mast (using a rolling hitch that won't slide) at a point a foot lower than the length of your 2X4's. Raise the 2 pieces of wood in front of the mast with block on top, spread the "legs" and secure each 2X4 to the opposite rail so it can't move. Now you have an "A" with the block at the top and the 2 "legs" secured to the rails. If you pull on the rope, you will raise the mast (after slacking all the standing rigging). I did this at anchor in Tahiti when I needed to replace the rotted wooden block at the base of my deck-stepped mast. My mast was pretty heavy so I used the hydraulic anchor windlass to haul it up, but your light mast can be easily lifted by one or 2 persons.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 14:33   #22

Boat: Summer Twins 25

For me the easiest plan is buy new equipment, and a new cable - get yourself winched to the top of the mast replace everything.
Get back to deck level with the old bits work out if anything is salvageable and sell it.
A NASA clipper or something like that is not that expensive.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 16:34   #23

Boat: Catalina 27, 1983

I've got the older sister, a C27. I've cut a small hole in the side of the mast in order to put nuts on the inside of bolts holding a turning block a few inches up from my mast step, then cover it with a plate under normal conditions, This might be an easier way to access you wire pigtails and connectors.
GbmChanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 09:58   #24

Boat: Catalina Capri 22

No, but be careful and think it through. I annually raise and lower the mast on a Capri 22 tall rig which is several orders of boat-magnitude smaller than your C27. I have a simple A-frame that clips to stanchion bases near the mast. It remains at a fixed angle to the mast by using the spinnaker halyard as a topping lift. A block and tackle is connected to the apex of the A-frame and to the bow. I am able to control my mast with a 3-part tackle, but I can lift my mast by myself. I got the A-frame legs and ends from the local Lowes/HD fencing department. The forces are light until you get about half way. After that, you will need some serious power: 4-part tackle at least and probably lead to a deck winch. Make sure you have enough line in the tackle for the job...maybe your anchor rhode.

Specific to your plan: 1. I drop mine aft, not forward. 2. Do not remove both the fore and back stays. Just loosen everything, install your gin pole rig, tension the system to slack the stay you are removing, and pull the pin.

Here are the things I have learned:

1. The mast base must be absolutely securely fixed to some sort of hinge at the base. If the mast is half way up or down and the base kicks loose, the forces would be enough to kill you. You can rig a temporary mast hinge but you have to be able to trust it with your life.

2. You must control the tendency for the mast to swing from side to side. You could use guy ropes (a couple of halyards) held by a pair of friends, but if it gets away from you, it will easily bend, buckle or break the mast step hinge. These side forces are small. I manage mine by hand.

3. The tail of the A-frame topping lift should be tied off onto the mast or a mast fitting without any use of turning blocks on the deck. If the tail exits the side of the mast and is run to a deck block, that line wants to twist the mast.

4. You can rig a long crutch to catch the mast at the halfway point and use it to control the most difficult part of the process, which is when it's almost horizontal. Think 16' 2x4 with ears.

This is much easier to control on land, but you can do it afloat in a slip on a calm day.

Good luck!
Rightbrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 17:13   #25

Boat: Pearson 26

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I devised a way to jack up the mast and block it up.

I know for certain that their is a connector at the base of the mast. There is no access to the connectors inside the cabin, all wires in the mast have connectors at the step. The wires run through the deck right into the post under the mast and come out the bottom of the post.
bad1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 17:50   #26

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I devised a way to jack up the mast and block it up.

I know for certain that their is a connector at the base of the mast. There is no access to the connectors inside the cabin, all wires in the mast have connectors at the step. The wires run through the deck right into the post under the mast and come out the bottom of the post.
My old 74 Coronado 28 had the mast electrical wires laid into the cabin top, coming out under the step with a plug.
Also, a solid post under it.

That was fine till it wasn't anymore, then came the cable thru the cabin top and VHF, ect.
I did not want to add multiple cable clams thru the deck.

It's a production thing, and not planned well for DIY repair.
Boatyarddog
Old 17-05-2022, 19:55   #27

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
I have a Catalina 270 with a deck stepped mast and I need to check the connections at the base of the mast. I'm not getting a signal from my wind speed indicator. The yard has scheduled a crane three times and they have been a no show three times.

My crazy idea is this:

Secure my jib halyard to a bow cleat and run the mainsail halyard to a block on the stern, then to a winch. Remove the fore and back stays, loosen the shrouds and tilt the mast forward enough so I can get to the connectors. Once I've resolved my issue, I would crank the mast back up with the halyard on the winch.

Am I nuts or what?
If you have to question it, it isn't safe..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work