Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 13:53   #1

Angle grinder to go aloft etc.

Is it possible to use a variable speed angle grinder with a suitable square drive in a winch to hoist some one aloft? Also, could an angle grinder with a diamond cut off disk be used to cut away rod rigging and an aluminum mast section?
Thanks.
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 13:59   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
No way on the winch adapter. A cordless impact driver could maybe work.

A thin (1mm) cut off disk is better than a diamond disk. The latter are for cutting mateeials like ceramics.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:00   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Angle grinder to go aloft etc.

You could not use an angle grinder to hoist someone. The motor and gearing is not designed for that kind of load. It would just hum and burn up rather quickly.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
However, a Milwaukee 28v 90 degree drill works perfectly

Also hoists our 200# rib on board
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:17   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
Is it possible to use a variable speed angle grinder with a suitable square drive in a winch to hoist some one aloft? Also, could an angle grinder with a diamond cut off disk be used to cut away rod rigging and an aluminum mast section?
Thanks.
Hopefully not all at the same time! I have a mental picture of Wyle E Coyote!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:53   #6

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
However, a Milwaukee 28v 90 degree drill works perfectly

Also hoists our 200# rib on board
+1

One hoisted me aloft. Also turns your other wenchs. Really great to grind in that heavy genny with the pull of a trigger.
Old 03-10-2013, 00:21   #7

Boat: Fantasia 35

Pleas think twice and then twice again before going aloft with an angle grinder. They are very powerful high speed tools that can separate parts of your anatomy with amazing ease. Even a deep wound at the top of the mast could make it very difficult to descend while trying to stop the bleeding.

Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 00:38   #8

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I second Viking Sailor's comment. You are venturing deep into Darwin Award territory!
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:29   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
I second Viking Sailor's comment. You are venturing deep into Darwin Award territory!
Regards,
Richard.
+3

Don't use any kind of power assist to haul someone aloft. The injuries from people being hauled up using electric winches are legion. You need to be able to feel if there is some obstruction, the person going aloft gets caught on something, or if something jams.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:39   #10

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Thanks.

And angle grinder revs at amazing speeds- way too fast to send someone up. Its not geared for heavy loads. Perhaps a cordless drill may be an option.

But as someone else mentioned, using power to send someone up the mast may in itself be dangerous. Realistically, I was always taught "the monkey does the climbing and the Wincher just takes up the slack". Any Pro-Riggers want to chime in on this one?
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:40   #11

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Pleas think twice and then twice again before going aloft with an angle grinder. They are very powerful high speed tools that can separate parts of your anatomy with amazing ease. Even a deep wound at the top of the mast could make it very difficult to descend while trying to stop the bleeding.

He means attaching a grinder to a winch to use it as a drive to send the person up the mast. He doesnt mean using it up the mast :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:49   #12

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Thanks.
Not absolutely sure when or where he is planning on doing the above cutting, but just in case it was up the mast, I wanted to express my concern.

Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43   #13

I checked specs on angle grinder torque and as mentioned above they only have about 10% of a right angle drill (10 ft-lbs vs 100). I was curious if I could get double duty out of the grinder as a winch assist.

The grinder is on board simply to expedite cutting away a mast that may be down and folded across the deck. In an ARC a boat had a similar situation and the only recourse was the angle grinder. I will try the grinder on a piece of rod rigging. The thought is that in certain situations knocking out turnbuckle clevis pins with a hammer and drift may not be an option. Has anyone actually tried to cut a mast section and rod rigging with hacksaws? Hydraulic cutters for rod AND a grinder for cutting an aluminum spar is expensive.

As regards power assist to send someone up the mast, I could see where going up slowly at sea on a manual winch could have its own its own dangers versus a communication error with the operator tending a powered winch. And using a manual winch may not be feasible at sea if the monkey is heavy and the grinder is weak. That said, a light agile monkey, and a strong grinder, would probably be my first choice too to prevent any organ grinder scenarios (sorry).
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 13:49   #14

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Dunno about rod rigging, but I've cut a mast with a hacksaw while still on the boat and it's almost like a knife through butter. Don't think i'd like to use a grinder with any sort of water splashing about.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:00   #15

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Thanks.
The short answer on your question about hoisting someone aloft with a grinder is NO. There are 3 options to hoist someone aloft. 1) Use a halyard to manually lift with a winch 2) use a right angle drill (called a "hole hog" by plumbers) to power the winch. Milwaukee makes a rechargable one, 3) Use a product called "Winchright". it comes equipped with a rechargable lithium battery and works great.
In all 3 suggestions, be sure to run a safety line in addition to your hoisting line!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote