Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2010, 05:11   #16

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
No way jose'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
Thanks Florida Writer but I did get a quote from Far East Sails and they sent me an e-mail offering me every discount in the book, by the time you cut the crap, did the math included their "very generous discounts of 40-50%" and converted the currency they were twice the price of Lee Sails and just as costly as buying from the top sailmakers in Europe.
Don't...I did. I followed their specs, measured twice and had to pay a surprise 'customs' fee and then the sail did not fit. I contacted them and while they were pleasant they insisted the sail was made according to the specs I sent. I brought a pro from the area and he 'fixed' it for a fair price. I like the sail and while Far East 'split' the difference for the modification, I would never again buy from anyone that couldn't do the actual measuring.

ahem...'You get what you pay for!'

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 05:18   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I would never again buy from anyone that couldn't do the actual measuring.
A sailmaker should be able to help you get the right sail. Coming to the boat may be just smart money. I have a problem with my jib and when I replace it it can't be an exact copy. Same goes for the main. I'll probably go with North only because we have a local loft and I can get a sailmaker to come to the boat. I have all the measurements done by my very local sailmaker I use for repairs but I don't want identical sails.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:36   #18

Boat: Roberts 482
Hi,

I have new fareastsails on my boat and I am quite happy with them. I was not sure about the sailcloth - was made be Challenge? - any way, Challenge has a web site and I went with Hi Modulus? I am not sure what that means exactly, but I am quite happy. I am going to order a cruising spinnaker - they quoted me three different cuts - radial head, tri-radial and full radial - for cruising they said a radial head (least expensive) might be best - any comments?
Nick Tarpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:09   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
C&C sails in Houston TX is by far the best shop I've had to deal with. They are a bit pricey but the quality and the little details have made the 2 sets of sails I've bought from them worth the price. All work is done in house and they will send a person out to measure your boat if it's anything other than a "standard" model. If I could just get the breeze in them a bit more frequently I'd be much happier.........m
Old 10-03-2010, 21:22   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tarpon View Post
Hi,

I have new fareastsails on my boat and I am quite happy with them. I was not sure about the sailcloth - was made be Challenge? - any way, Challenge has a web site and I went with Hi Modulus? I am not sure what that means exactly, but I am quite happy. I am going to order a cruising spinnaker - they quoted me three different cuts - radial head, tri-radial and full radial - for cruising they said a radial head (least expensive) might be best - any comments?
High modulus is another way of saying more stretch resistant.
I totally disagree with the radial head recommendation for your cruising spinnaker. That went out decades ago and I doubt any sailmaker here in the US would recommend it. The cost difference between radial head and tri-radial will be minimal.

One other thing. 1.5 oz cloth is cheaper than 0.75 oz. Some of the bottom-feeder discount places will build your sail with 1.5. You will not like the way it handles in light air when you need it most. I had a customer order a 1.5 oz kite from me against my recommendation. After he sailed with it a few times he called me and ordered the same sail in 0.75.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:16   #21

Re: Any Feedback on these Sailmakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
The old adage "Anything that sounds too good to be true, usually is". Glad I posted this thread.
Remember thats and opinion. The internet is shock full of them. Get referrals from people that own and use the item you are inquiring about.

There are a lot of salesmen. They disparage the product but know not what they are complaining about, nor can they describe their real experience with the particular item you inquie about. Many run-off in the direction of other products. Everyone wants to express an opinion. Whether related to the query of not. It's the way of the internet.
solarfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 11:59   #22

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Any Feedback on these Sailmakers?

Thanks to this old thread I've sent out rfq's for a new jib for my c&c 27 mk3