Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 16:05   #211

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
In the end I could not justify the cost of converting. I just priced the replacement of both running backs which are only 30 feet in length. Two runners plus 4 terminators priced out at $500……just for the runners.
Why would you use DUX for runners? Just use inexpensive Amsteel, like Nick mentioned. Any of the advantages of DUX, like pre-stretched, is inconsequential to runners because they are adjusted with each use anyway.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 16:06   #212

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The best thing we did was replacing the 4 stainless steel wire runner with Amsteel synthetic. The handling was improved so much!
Are you talking about the boat handling or the physical handling of the runners themselves?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 20:05   #213
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Are you talking about the boat handling or the physical handling of the runners themselves?

Mark

The runners themselves. It's all because of the weight reduction plus it is slippery and non-marring. We even gybe into them to reduce shock.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 07:42   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
Evans,

Thank you for this post (UV degrade) . I have been waiting for some of the venders to post their test data.

This is very useful….

Curious if this amount of strength degrade is enough to change anyones mind??

50% to 60% loss is a lot.

Tx.
If the rope is twice the strength of stainless in some cases 3x as strong then a 50% reduction in strength is acceptable and I have been told it is quite obvious in its appearance in fraying when it gets to that point.
lookinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 07:58   #215

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Why would you use DUX for runners? Just use inexpensive Amsteel, like Nick mentioned. Any of the advantages of DUX, like pre-stretched, is inconsequential to runners because they are adjusted with each use anyway.

Mark
I had used standard Dyneema SK78 on adjustable upper shrouds, and spliced it myself using thimbles at the ends. The initial "physical creep" was significant enough to cause me to re-splice, I believe this was not from fiber stretch but from the weave tightening up as it was pulled harder than it had been before. After that the stretch was insignificant, but after only a few months I started to develop some visible chafe on the Dyneema lines where the mainsail battens were in contact with the shrouds.

This concerned me, because even though I could use halyards to change these shrouds without unstepping the mast, it's something that could only be done safely in a protected harbor under benign conditions. Bottom line, I chalked it up as an experiments and went back to steel.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging