Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 05:52   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Are my tight intermediates a big problem?

I have a Beneteau 423 and had the standing rigging replaced in January 2019. The 423 has two sets of spreaders and discontinuous cap shrouds that are linked at the lower spreader. Our main is a traditionally hoisted main. The mast is deck stepped with a compression post below.

What I have been seeing is that when I tightened the leeward shroud in 12 or so kts of wind, the lower kept getting tighter on each tack but I could not get rid of the slack in the uppers. The logical thing seemed to be to loosen the intermediates to allow the load to be taken by the lowers and uppers together. The mast bends off to leeward from the lower spreaders.

Before making any changes, I took dockside Loos PT-3 measurements at the lowers, intermediates and uppers.

The Loos values are
"stay" - "wire size" - "Loos #" - "lbs" - "% of Breaking Strength"
Lower - 3/8” - 46 - 3100# - 18%
Intermediate - 5/16” - 30 - 2050# - 16%
Uppers - 5/16” - 18 - 900# - 7%

This seems to confirm that more load is being taken by the intermediates than the uppers as I tightened the lowers.

Unfortunately, when I got to the next step, to back off the intermediates a turn or two, I discovered that the studs only have 2-3 threads showing in the turnbuckles. Of course it could also be that the uppers or lowers are not the correct length.

Supposedly the rigging was replaced with parts directly from Beneteau but something is not adding up. I am not sure how accurate I can be trying to measure from a bosuns seat but it seems like I should try to measure at least the intermediates and lowers to see if they match with the Beneteau spec.

Does sailing like this cause risk of losing the mast or other problems such
that it should be resolved soon? Or will it only be a performance issue? Riggers are all quite busy right now so I'm trying to assess how much to be worried about this. I am in southern Massachusetts getting ready to head south via Long Island Sound and the Chesapeake and wondering about the risk of putting this off until Annapolis.

Thanks,
harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote