Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2015, 05:27   #16
Eternal Member

Re: Assymeterical geneker or code zero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
A Gennaker will be more versatile but also less good at doing any one thing. A code zero is only good for going upwind in light air. Both will furl, but the code zero will probably furl better on account of having greater luff tension.
I disagree, and believe a Code 0 can be more versatile than many people think... While they are certainly not designed for this application, I've found it to work pretty well...

Then again, most folks don't think you can 'reef' an asymetrical chute, either... It may look stupid as hell, but it works... At least for short durations, during squally conditions when it can be a viable alternative to dousing it, then having to reset it again shortly thereafter...

;-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 05:43   #17

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
I disagree, and believe a Code 0 can be more versatile than many people think... While they are certainly not designed for this application, I've found it to work pretty well...

Absolutely, and it certainly looks like it is indeed working well! Of course, when you're going downwind in the trades all you really need is something to stick up that will catch the wind. You could probably sew a few sarongs together and they would work just fine. I guess my point is that unless you are specifically interested in going upwind in light air, there will be better choices of sail than a code zero, and those other choices are likely to be more versatile over a wider range of wind angles and wind speeds. So, if you're looking for a sail to purchase for cruising, and have a choice of what to spend your money on, i personally would not go for a code zero.

Mind you, that may not count for much since the next sail i would like to add to my inventory is a 3/4-hoist square-sail for long trade wind passages. I've been lusting after one for a while now, but alas i fear this particular dream will be thwarted by my laziness, which often prohibits such projects from ever being realised.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 06:44   #18
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
I guess my point is that unless you are specifically interested in going upwind in light air, there will be better choices of sail than a code zero, and those other choices are likely to be more versatile over a wider range of wind angles and wind speeds. So, if you're looking for a sail to purchase for cruising, and have a choice of what to spend your money on, i personally would not go for a code zero.
Well, there's certainly the possibility that my particular experience, with my boat, might be somewhat 'unique', and not representative of many others ;-) But I would simply say that over the dozen or more years that I've had a Code 0, no other single sail has so often made the difference in being able to continue sailing thru some light stuff, or deciding it's time to start motoring...

And without question, no other sail comes close when it comes to the amount of potential horsepower it affords, relative to the space it occupies when stowed. An asymetrical with a sock can still be a fairly bulky item, but a Code 0 when wrapped tight on the furler can be folded up into an amazingly compact and lightweight package...

Certainly, if I could only have one free-flying sail, it would still be an asymetrical spinnaker... But having the Code 0 is a very worthy addition, and I'm surprised more cruisers sailing heavily-laden boats don't carry them, for those many times when the working white sails just don't offer enough horsepower...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 08:36   #19

Assymeterical geneker or code zero?

A code 0 or the spinnaker nylon equivalent should perhaps be the first flying sail a cruiser should buy. You can use it as a large lightweight genoa. Sure beyond its "limited" wind angle range it does not work as well as asymmetrics but it beats hands down your 100-150% genoa.

I have a Code 1 and a 135% cruising Genoa. If I was starting again I'd get the code 0 and probably a smaller genoa to increase the wind range my working sail can handle

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-08-2015, 16:49   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Two sense 50 here. One sails with staysail and code zero. I sail with gennaker and Genoa. Couldn't tell which is better. very dependent on crew and destination. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:49   #21
aka

this might be interisting
OneSails Sailmakers :: CRUISING DOWNWIND - Cruising Downwind - Sails :: The Next Generation of Sails
aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:32   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Good article. I struggle with the following. They describe the range as from 4-22 knots and 55-130 TWA degrees. I sail 90% of the time in that wind range. However, in 12 knots of breeze at 110 degrees TWA I am sailing at 7.5 knots with an apparent wind angle of 65% with my genoa. There is not a lot to add with the extra work of a spinnaker. In theory, therefore, the range for that asymmetrical is really from 110 degrees to 130 degrees true. I couldn't go with a symmetrical as I am an old man on a 50 foot boat with limited crew and the huge pole and sheets and guys would lead to a dead old man. I went with a rather full asymmetrical under the theory that if I am reaching the genoa is pretty efficient and I spend a lot of time sailing deeper than 130 degrees. I have never done much wing on wing but above about 15 knots I plan on doing it some this year on my 750 mile downwind trek to Cabo San Lucas.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, code zero