Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 19:00   #1

Boat: Catalina 27, Tall Rig Wing Keel
Bent Forestay Threaded Fitting

Hello! I am having my mast taken down tomorrow and while prepping I removed my furler to find this bend in the forestry fitting. Any thoughts on this?

I’m on a bit of a time crunch as I’m having the mast down tomorrow but was hoping to get it back up Friday and I’m not sure I’ll be able to store my mast on deck over the weekend. So may need to push back until I can get a better plan. Also curious on thoughts of causes for this?

Thanks in advance for any help happy to provide clarity!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4017.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	292807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4015.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	292808  

new-to-sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:06   #2

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Bent Forestay Threaded Fitting

The lower end MUST have a double toggle so that the stay can move I all directions without binding at any point ,if not you are looking at the results ,ps do not try to straighten the bend ,replace the fitting and Maude the wire stay ,⚓️⛵️
Searles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:53   #3

Boat: Catalina 27, Tall Rig Wing Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
The lower end MUST have a double toggle so that the stay can move I all directions without binding at any point ,if not you are looking at the results ,ps do not try to straighten the bend ,replace the fitting and Maude the wire stay ,⚓️⛵️
I believe I have a double toggle, not the best picture but this setup should allow. Movement in all directions right?

The forestay was fairly out of tension until I recently tensioned the rig, maybe that caused the bend? But still don’t think it should have if I have the proper toggle setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3564.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	292810  
new-to-sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:03   #4

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Looking at the foto of the forestay tang, if the stay was slack enough for long enough I think the toggle has been binding on the hard corner of the forestay tang ,this may have resulted in the bent swage ,but check and check again,⚓️⛵️
Searles is online now   Reply With Quote