Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2014, 19:29   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Bent Mast Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Well, Happy is full of it, the mission was a failure. The mast split at the dent during straightening.

New plan is saw it off just below the deformed section, reattach the masthead and sail tomorrow with the first reef in.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Well ya gave it the old college try, anyway - LOL...

SkipMac had it in post 2. Sleeve repair. Riveted not welded...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 06:23   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Well, Happy is full of it, the mission was a failure. The mast split at the dent during straightening.

New plan is saw it off just below the deformed section, reattach the masthead and sail tomorrow with the first reef in.

That's Crappy (advice) to you sir...

Bummer it didn't work out... I had mediocre hopes with unbridled enthusiasm!

Keep us updated, and lets work out a proper repair or replacement with pics here!

Hope you're out on the water today!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 08:18   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
SkipMac had it in post 2. Sleeve repair. Riveted not welded...
I sure hope that's the right way since the mast on my Pearson came that way from the factory.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 08:23   #19

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
That's Crappy (advice) to you sir...

Bummer it didn't work out... I had mediocre hopes with unbridled enthusiasm!

Keep us updated, and lets work out a proper repair or replacement with pics here!

Hope you're out on the water today!
I had the same sort of hopes and enthusiasm.

The weight of the mast would not bend it so I tied it down. I went slowly, adding more and more force over about a 30 minute time frame. then the small crack started to appear. I knew it was useless to proceed after that. I think our plan was sound, just too much of a bend. It was worth a try, like Jim said, I'd not much to lose. I still respect you and your McGyvering skills!

I will be hitting the water soon.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:15   #20

More thoughts on the sleeve repair. The center of the dent is about a foot above the sheeve for the internal jib halyard. I would need to cut out about 7" either side of the dent to remove the entire deformity, leaving only 5" in which a fully intact sleeve can be inserted into the mast.

To use a sleeve extending one foot either way, which seems to be the consensus here, I would need to insert the sleeve and cut the slot in it to match the one in the mast. I need to remove the sheeve and make sure a sleeve of adequate thickness will not interfere with the internal halyard.

I think I will start really shopping for a new mast. Dwyer's website gave me a price of $596 so it won't be a huge expense if I can use all the other hardware. Any other suppliers I might check with?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I had the same sort of hopes and enthusiasm.

The weight of the mast would not bend it so I tied it down. I went slowly, adding more and more force over about a 30 minute time frame. then the small crack started to appear. I knew it was useless to proceed after that. I think our plan was sound, just too much of a bend. It was worth a try, like Jim said, I'd not much to lose. I still respect you and your McGyvering skills!

I will be hitting the water soon.

Yea... It sucks, but sometimes trying to achieve the improbable leads to the probable outcome...

I can't think of a way to have gone better about it, with the exception of adding some heat from a rosebud torch...

I respect you more for giving it a go!

Quote:
More thoughts on the sleeve repair. The center of the dent is about a foot above the sheeve for the internal jib halyard. I would need to cut out about 7" either side of the dent to remove the entire deformity, leaving only 5" in which a fully intact sleeve can be inserted into the mast.

To use a sleeve extending one foot either way, which seems to be the consensus here, I would need to insert the sleeve and cut the slot in it to match the one in the mast. I need to remove the sheeve and make sure a sleeve of adequate thickness will not interfere with the internal halyard.

I think I will start really shopping for a new mast. Dwyer's website gave me a price of $596 so it won't be a huge expense if I can use all the other hardware. Any other suppliers I might check with?
There's a formula for sleeve required length vs. extrusion profile depth... BUT... we don't need to find it, cause no way 5" is good enough!

Dwyer does have great prices to be sure... Again... another option is to find something that will fit your sailplan.... This guy's in FL unfortunately... He does range from "really good deals" to... "kinda rich dontchya think?"

http://stores.ebay.com/donsmarine-20...fsub=376940219

I'll help ya look if you give me #'s!

Old 02-09-2014, 16:39   #22

Quote:

Length: 22' 2"
Width: 2.5"
Depth: 2.75"

Width is absolutely critical, can't go wider. The mast step is molded into the hull.

The other dimensions I can live with a little change, though I don't want to go shorter. I want to keep the internal halyards, all lines can be run through the current sheaves aft where I will be sitting, so I would prefer a masthead that would allow that.

Thanks for helping me look! Don't be afraid to look at new stuff! I don't want a beat up stick

Old 02-09-2014, 17:11   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Length: 22' 2"
Width: 2.5"
Depth: 2.75"

Width is absolutely critical, can't go wider. The mast step is molded into the hull.

The other dimensions I can live with a little change, though I don't want to go shorter. I want to keep the internal halyards, all lines can be run through the current sheaves aft where I will be sitting, so I would prefer a masthead that would allow that.

Thanks for helping me look! Don't be afraid to look at new stuff! I don't want a beat up stick

On it!!!

Let's see what I can come up with manana AM when I do my wake-up w/CF routine!

PS: If you run across a good deal for a 72' stick... I'm all ears...

Old 13-09-2014, 07:58   #24

Quote:
This guy's in FL unfortunately... He does range from "really good deals" to... "kinda rich dontchya think?"

http://stores.ebay.com/donsmarine-20...fsub=376940219

I've been trying to deal with these guys over the last week.

I rarely have high expectations of customer service when dealing with folks in the marine industry anymore, especially concerning used parts, but it will only take a few minutes to get the measurements I need. If it will fit, I will click the buy button and be a satisfied customer.

The only thing they have been prompt in providing is the brutally high shipping quote.

Old 13-09-2014, 08:40   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I've been trying to deal with these guys over the last week.

I rarely have high expectations of customer service when dealing with folks in the marine industry anymore, especially concerning used parts, but it will only take a few minutes to get the measurements I need. If it will fit, I will click the buy button and be a satisfied customer.

The only thing they have been prompt in providing is the brutally high shipping quote.

Well I'm one hella crap friend!

I promptly forgot to follow up on my offer to help...

It sucks donkey doesn't it??? I've found that ALL of the spar people are all but impossible to work with... If they weren't supplying new boats, there's no way they would be in business... OVER A MONTH I have been trying to get some answers out of RigRite... Their company structure and communications are stuck in the stone ages... THEY HAVE NO COMPANY EMAIL ADDRESS FOR CONTACT ... You can fax em though....

ie the following converstaion (after negotiatiing the crappy phone menu)

me: Hi... I need some pricing on some sparcraft extrusions and spreaders...
them: What are the part #'s?
me: You don't have part #'s listed on your website, but the extrusion is S1060, and the spreader is BF-5
them: I need rigrite part #'s
me: If I had a way to tell you that I would.. do you have an email address where I can send a list of what I need?
them: You can fax us your list and questions
me: I disposed of my fax, telex, telegraph, shortly after the great war...
them: You can fill out a form on the website, and we'll get back to you *click*

So after Sherlock Holmes-ing the website (there is no FORM link anywhere) I filled it out TWICE 1 month apart, getting a screen flash of "thanks for your submission"... Still no answer...

Old 19-09-2014, 11:38   #26

Update.... So, after 2 weeks I finally got the measurement I requested. I think it will work for my boat.

I may buy it Monday. I'm a bit nervous about it, trying to get the info I needed was a hassle. I just feel like I'm going to get screwed somehow, like they measured it wrong or will ship the wrong mast 700 miles. I'm not confident in them at this point.

Old 19-09-2014, 12:05   #27

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There are some misconceptions about welding masts. In fact it is done all the time. Basically you sleeve it and spot weld it in um spots. You do want a competent experienced welder. There are a couple of threads way back on this including one I started but I'm too lazy to search for you.
Old 19-09-2014, 12:08   #28

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Great thread guys! I'm wondering if a bit of heat would help? I ask because I have a similar problem with a tornado mast that needs straightening. Someone gave me the boat for free and I'm trying to get it up and running. I have two masts - one good and one not-so-good. Since the mere prospect of sailing this particular boat scares me &$%#less I figure I'm bound to screw up on a monumental scale while attempting to tame the beast and might as well use the not-so-good mast while attempting to figure out how not to kill myself while barreling along at 30 knots. That way, when I break it I have a good spare :-)

So, make an insert, apply pressure slowly with some cargo straps and apply heat with some ratchet straps. Sound about right? Or does aluminium respond poorly to being heated?............
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:40   #29

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
There are some misconceptions about welding masts. In fact it is done all the time. Basically you sleeve it and spot weld it in um spots. You do want a competent experienced welder. There are a couple of threads way back on this including one I started but I'm too lazy to search for you.
The mast on my Ericson had been bent, cut sleeved and Riveted before I got it. This was all done by the owner previous to the guy I bought it from by hand in Neslons Dock Yard Antigua. I'm guessing he didn't trust or could afford aluminum welding in Antigua.

The mast worked great except it may have been kind of short.
Old 19-09-2014, 12:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post

So, make an insert, apply pressure slowly with some cargo straps and apply heat with some ratchet straps. Sound about right? Or does aluminium respond poorly to being heated?............
You must not have read the entire thread. My attempt to straighten the mast ended in the aluminum splitting. Other posters clearly stated that it would, and I kinda knew it would. I didn't apply heat, perhaps that is where I went wrong. I had nothing to lose trying so I went for it and it ended poorly.

I've found a mast I may buy in Fl but I'm still shopping locally to see what comes up.

Tags
mast