Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2020, 11:25   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Best Awning Fabric

• Sunbrella lasts longest. White does not block sun well (24% transmission) and dark colors are hot (up to 170F).
  • Sail cloth sets well but does not resist sun well. It does not block the sun very well and is bulky to store.
  • A reflective coating really helps with the heat (<0.5% transmission, only a few degrees temperature rise), but the cloth gets stiff.
It seems like a relatively light, non-stretch fabric with a reflective coating is the answer, but I don't know what's available.

Ideas? I have painted light cloth on two boats, and it is much cooler than Sunbrella, but it's stiff and does not set very well.
Old 13-09-2020, 17:21   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Best Awning Fabric

Hi, thinwater,

Try Stamoid, in the heavier weight. I made a hatch dodger which has been up in all weather for 15 yrs. I had to re sew some seams because I had not used ptfe thread, but the fabric lived up to and exceeded it's 10 yr. guarantee. It is some kind of fancy plastic.

Otherwise, we have had Royal blue Sunbrella awnings that lasted very well, and their shade was cool, did not find it "hot" in the shade in Mexico or the Solomons.

Ann
Old 13-09-2020, 18:24   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We have had on our Tanzer 22 for 30+ years an awning made of Weblon, white on top and light blue on the underside. The white on the top keeps it cool, and the light blue on the bottom is like the light blue ceiling an old front porch - it is easy on the eyes. A gray underside is also available. Sailrite lists the pluses. The minus is that the material is heavy. https://www.sailrite.com/Weblon-Rega...QaAvRiEALw_wcB

On our Pacific Seacraft 34 we have both a forward and an aft Weblon sun awning but white on both sides . It is about 10 years old, and it has side and aft curtains. I like the light blue underside better, but I got a real deal on the white/white fabric, so I took it.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 18:42   #4

Boat: Pearson 424

Monotec 370 shadecloth. It’s an hdpe weave with a 15 year warranty.
This is a shade cloth not something to make a Bimini or dodger from. It is a loose weave which allows air to move through so great in windy conditions. Very strong weave with very good chafe characteristics. I’ve had my forward one for 4 years in the South Carolina sun and no signs of uv degradation.
It light weight and packs away really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	694AFDD2-82C1-4AF2-A12D-988F2D31C568.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	223383  
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 19:10   #5

Boat: Allied 39

May I suggest you spend a few extra bucks and sew with goretex thread. Trade name Tenera. Worth the $100+ a spool. will outlast the material
Old 13-09-2020, 19:14   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
May I suggest you spend a few extra bucks and sew with goretex thread. Trade name Tenera. Worth the $100+ a spool. will outlast the material
^^^^^This has proved so for us, as well.

For thinwater, if you do not need the waterproofness quality, then shade cloth does work well, and does allow some air through, due to its open weave. Look into agricultural grades of it, probably cheapest.

Ann
Old 13-09-2020, 20:09   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We bought some tan colored shade cloths from home depot for use on a deck for $20 each. They look great and work very well - we are always getting compliments on them. The only improvement we are making to them it to switch out the polypropylene ropes with something just long enough to make them fast and that we can put a decent bend in to tie them off.

We have had them up in 50 knots of wind during a sudden microburst and they still work great and look great. Figure that if we get two years out of $100 worth of pre-build shade we are in a great position just to buy new ones.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 05:29   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
[LIST][*]Sunbrella lasts longest. White does not block sun well (24% transmission) and dark colors are hot (up to 170F).

Ideas? I have painted light cloth on two boats, and it is much cooler than Sunbrella, but it's stiff and does not set very well.

Maybe split the difference on Sunbrella colors?

Somewhere midway between white and dark? Tan? Grey? Or...?

Another thought: Two pieces? One outer (of something?) and one inner (of something else?).

-Chris

Tags
fabric