Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 09:27   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS 2005
Best Way to Stow Mast after Stepping

Just bought a Hunter 44DS. Taking it up to Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes NY. we will step the mast in the Hudson before proceeding up to the Erie canal.
Question is - are there tips and tricks to lashing the mast and boom to the Hunter superstructure? We will be leaving from Ft Lauderdale and bringing a 2x4 frame to keep the fenders from being trashed on the lock walls but what smart contraptions should we bring for mast and boom?
Thanks!
dwlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:42   #2

Boat: Tartan 3100
Re: Best Way to Stow Mast after Stepping

I'm assuming you are using a transport company.

You may want to check with them first in regards to their policies. They have some accountability for the quality of the lashing.

if you are transporting yourself....lots of creative wrapping and supports! ��

Get some carpet scraps. They are handy for padding.

I like to use a mast sleeve after I've removed halyards. Candy stripe the mast sleeve with tape for windage.

Bow pulpit should hold weight fine. Wood support mid and aft.

Good luck!
CTKismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 13:07   #3

I assume you mean UNstep the mast. Wood boards on the pulpits and a fabricated wood support in the middle should be used. Padding is good too. Old carpet works.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 13:29   #4

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Pull a rope tight between your forestay and your backstay where the mast will eventually be when down. Then you can figure , and pre build, some X's ,or goalposts,that will be the correct height for the mast when it is on deck. Probably be able to go over your bimini,but,check air clearances for the canal.
Then buy about 8 ratchet straps.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:55   #5

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

It is a safe bet that you will find the necessary lumber you need to make a mast crutch wherever you plan to unstep your mast. There are literally piles of mast crutches laying about at most of these facilities. The max height above the water you can be is 15.6 feet but I doubt you'll end up anywhere near to this.

We Unstepped in Buffalo and put her back up on the Hudson at the Castleton YC. I used spare lines aboard and made up Spanish windlass's which was quick and easy.

You're in for a great trip. You will be locking masters by the end of it.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:17   #6

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I transited the Erie a few years ago Going up the Hudson, I recommend 'Hop-O-Nose' to unstep your mast. They will have wood scraps, but if you don't have a jig saw, a drill and a bunch of fasteners on-board, you may want to pre-make your supports. On your Hunder DS, you could lash directly to your superstructure, but I would get a 2 ft long 2x8 and cut a 'U' shape in it to set the mast in. Then use U bolts to secure that board to the superstructure putting some tape under the U bolts to prevent scratching the tubing. Typically I see 'X' shape 2x4 supports in the bow and you want another support at the mast step. Lash the mast to the supports and the supports to the toe rail or other hard spot. Ratchet straps are the best way to secure the mast. Make sure you run a pair fore and aft, not just athwartship... I think the min bridge clearance is 15ft. So you are probably fine, but just ensure your mast on top of the superstructure will pass under all bridges! Not sure your diesel tankage, but with my 25 gal tank I had to use jerry cans to make it between fuel stops. be aware of that. The NY state guide to the canal is a good reference and you'll need a canal permit... explore here Boating on the Canals - New York State Canals

BTW, the first lock, Troy lock (ch 16), is the worst with pipes set into the wall I believe 50 ft apart. So you have to pass a line around just 1 pipe and then fend the bow and stern off the wall.. A bit of a pain with 2 people. The Erie locks (ch 13) all have ropes hanging down the wall every 15 ft or so and are pretty easy to deal with.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, mast