Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2019, 14:58   #16

Re: Blue Wave Dyneema Terninals vs. Splice

Would be ideal for an emergency backup.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 16:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
All the construction set is in the splice and bury, .
Just FYI - this is not actually correct.

There is ofc a lot of constructional stretch in a long bury splice.

But there is also measurable constructional stretch in the body of the line. This is true even with 'heat set' line, but ofc less than with non-heat set.

Just for example, in a recent sample of NER HSR, (with no splices) I had 20mm of stretch on the first pull, and 9mm of stretch the third pull (all over a 10' length of line). That would be a 'best case', with heat set line, which was very carefully handled. You can introduce significant extra 'constructional stretch' to heat set line when coiling and handling them.

Non-heat set line would have roughly 50% more constructional stretch than the above.

As to how to stretch line . . . 10 ton auto body shop hydraulic pullers are quite inexpensive

as to the Blue Wave terminals - I notice that their breaking strength is below that of the recommended heat set size line (and below that of a carefully done splice). Heat set line would typically be used for stay replacement rigging applications That would seem to be sub-optimal. I'm curious what breaks.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 07:07   #18

Boat: Pearson 10M

looks like a fancy thimble.
but also a very convenient way of reducing the number of parts needed to attach the rig, for example the T ball fitting.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 09:52   #19
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

I like them, a lot!

I suspect the lower than line strength is not actually the fitting but the hard, short radius bury required to fit into the fitting. I can see the line actually failing at that point long before the fitting or rest of line fails. Even the then the failure figure exceeds SS rigging wire it replaces.
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 09:56   #20

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

Following
Old 28-05-2019, 11:48   #21

as an FYI - I got this e-mail back when I asked them for information about buying a couple of samples:

"Thank you for your E-mail and kind interest in our RopeLine products/the Dyneema Rope Eye!

We do not have a dealer set up in the US, so I would suggest you contact our Canadian dealer either in Vancouver or Barrie (Toronto). Alternatively I can try to help from over here..

If you are willing to contact Canada, please try either at Western Marine Company in Vancouver: sales@westernmarine.com

Or at Transat Marine Company - maybe contact Emma Osborn eosborn@transatmarine.com

I know the colleagues in Canada will be able to help, but please let me know if you have any further questions!

Best regards from Denmark"
Old 28-05-2019, 13:07   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Are these available in the US? The MFGs site is light on information abou these products - I cannot find an install sheet.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Better or worse, and why? They reduce construction stretch, but other than that, I'm not seeing it. It seems like there are areas I cannot inspect, for little up-side.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 04:52   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Since you have to do a splice anyway, it's just an expensive and complicated alternative to a thimble, which gives you a far worse bend radius.
I'm not a bend-radius nazi, but I like to keep it above 1:1. Even so, with the growing popularity of toggles (or "dogbones" as some wrongfully call them), we're seeing some tight bend radiuses around them as well as around halyard bullets and similar kit. Maybe the bend-radius debate should be revisited now that sk90 has been retired.
Still after that mini-ramble: I don't think these are better enough than a thimble to warrant what they must cost.
Old 29-05-2019, 05:04   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Since you have to do a splice anyway, it's just an expensive and complicated alternative to a thimble, which gives you a far worse bend radius.
I'm not a bend-radius nazi, but I like to keep it above 1:1. Even so, with the growing popularity of toggles (or "dogbones" as some wrongfully call them), we're seeing some tight bend radiuses around them as well as around halyard bullets and similar kit. Maybe the bend-radius debate should be revisited now that sk90 has been retired.
Still after that mini-ramble: I don't think these are better enough than a thimble to warrant what they must cost.

But isn't the point of these, as someone else commented above, to easily integrate rope rigging with already existing rigging screws, forks, eyes, etc. which were provided for wire rigging? Seems elegant to me; a thimble would't actually work without other hardware, for this purpose.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 05:05   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Would be ideal for an emergency backup.

Also this

Instead of carrying whole pieces of wire rigging, as many ocean sailors do, just carry a much lighter and more easily stored piece of Acera or Dyneema, and a set of these.

Like.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 06:12   #26

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But isn't the point of these, as someone else commented above, to easily integrate rope rigging with already existing rigging screws, forks, eyes, etc. which were provided for wire rigging? Seems elegant to me; a thimble would't actually work without other hardware, for this purpose.
Yes, not easy to splice a line to my t-fittings or rigging screws. I have looked at these before, and they seem a much more elegant solution than Colligo. I still haven't figured out the sizing, though.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 06:18   #27

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Very cool terminators. You splice your UHMWPE around a bone, which has a diameter for example of 18mm for 10mm line. Any thoughts of throat tearing with that size of an eye and a throat that’s tight against the bone?

Unfortunately for our boat we will need 16 or 18mm fibre shrouds, and the threaded fitting is only up to 10mm. Sigh.
They write larger sizes on request.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 08:47   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I'm not a bend-radius nazi, but I like to keep it above 1:1.
The bend radius seems to be about 1.8:1 (1.5:1 in the smallest size), which is sufficient inside a loop to keep 100% of line strength.
Old 30-05-2019, 04:02   #29

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I find dyneema very easy to splice. No reason I can think of to add components that may fail.
No longer any need to carry spare shroud wire. I carry a length of dyneema that can easily replace a backstay or shroud. My backstays are strong enough to lift the boat.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 04:45   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
No longer any need to carry spare shroud wire.
The question in play here is not the value of dyneema, but how you plan to/how best to attach it to the chain plates and mast.

You certainly don’t want to splice it directly to most chainplates and tangs, which have holes with sharp edges and very small D/d. And even most U bolts and pad eyes would have quite small D/d.

Most typical thimbles would crush under shroud/stay tension - if going thimble you really need a closed or solid one.

These terminals provide an alternative. They are not ideal. But they are both versatile and simple.

Tags
dyneema