Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 06:55   #46

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Blue Wave Dyneema Terninals vs. Splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
I guess I would say it is not really necessary, as you really should be able to make your shrouds so they are pre-stretched to the right length, right at the top of turnbuckles. That is not so hard if you are careful/precise. You then have the full turnbuckle to take care of creep, which should not be huge if you have sized the (dia of the) stays correctly.
I thought the only way to "pre stretch" dyneema was by applying heat and high loads to the entire rope. I thought this had to be done with special equipment. Not true?
Old 11-06-2019, 07:11   #47

Re: Blue Wave Dyneema Terninals vs. Splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I thought the only way to "pre stretch" dyneema was by applying heat and high loads to the entire rope. I thought this had to be done with special equipment. Not true?
you are thinking of 'Heat Setting' (or 'Heat stretched'), like Dynex Dux or NER HTS . . . for some discussion and test results see https://www.samsonrope.com/docs/defa...rsn=8408910e_2

I was talking about loading/stretching the rope and splices to take out the constructional stretch so that the rope will not grow a huge amount when you load it up. This is more like traditional 'proof testing'. This is relatively easy to do. I use a hydraulic puller and load cell. But you can do it with a decent size come-along. Or I have even seen people do it with a truck w/tow hitch (although I'm not a big fan of that as it is not a very precise/controlled process).
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema