Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 20:53   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
Boom Bag zips - two starting in the middle?

At present on my 47 ft cat, the boom bag starts at the mast which necessitates the admiral climbing on mast steps about 8 foot up the mast, wrestling with getting the zip together with me pushing whatever side is heaviest. I was thinking if there were TWO zips starting in the middle OR 2/3 towards the stern on the boom, the whole exercise would be much easier. As the boom bag zip needs replacing, has anyone have any thoughts, either way? Has anyone done this? We can't eaily get to the stern end of the boom as it is over a soft bimini, so we complete the zipping with a long chord.

The foot of the main is 6.5m long.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 21:35   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Boom Bag zips - two starting in the middle??

If you can't get to the end of the boom, how do you pull the zipper to the end now?

Could you get to the end of the boom if you move the boom to the lifelines away from the bimini? This is what we do (on a mono) and it then zips from toward the mast - collecting the sail ad it goes forward.
Old 06-02-2017, 21:59   #3

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Re: Boom Bag zips - two starting in the middle?

I broke my new boom bag zipper in the first month. It was on a string but snagged easily.

I decided to look for an alternative and came up with a revelation. Velcro.
I sewed 2 inch wide velcro to the inside of both top flaps.
I added 3 ss clips to bring the lazy jacks together above the closed velcro just incase the wind tears at the boom bag when we aren't aboard. Highly unlikely but peace of mind anyway.

So when we get underway the halyard is attached to the head, the clips are seperated and the act of hoisting the sail will separate the velcro as the sail goes up.

We lower the sail into the bag and either bring the velcro together along the full length or usually just fasten one or two lazy jack hooks together and fasten the velcro later.

I told my sailmaker later what I had done and he loves the idea.

It certainly helps that I can clamber over the hard dodger to get at the boom bag too.
Old 06-02-2017, 22:04   #4

Boat: boat less ATM
Re: Boom Bag zips - two starting in the middle??

Thanks Wayne, Yes that is what I do now, move the boom outwards to finish zipping. My PROBLEM / COMPLAINT is that someone has to climb up the mast steps to start the whole zipping off. This is a hassle if there is a swell build up and to accomplish the manoeuvre with two hands, you have to grasp the mast with your leg. SURELY THERE IS AN EASIER WAY.
Paul
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 22:27   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

So why not have the zipper run from aft end toward the mast? You put it together at the aft and bring it forward while bunching the sail.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:11   #6

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
I broke my new boom bag zipper in the first month. It was on a string but snagged easily.

I decided to look for an alternative and came up with a revelation. Velcro.
I sewed 2 inch wide velcro to the inside of both top flaps.
I added 3 ss clips to bring the lazy jacks together above the closed velcro just incase the wind tears at the boom bag when we aren't aboard. Highly unlikely but peace of mind anyway.

So when we get underway the halyard is attached to the head, the clips are seperated and the act of hoisting the sail will separate the velcro as the sail goes up.

We lower the sail into the bag and either bring the velcro together along the full length or usually just fasten one or two lazy jack hooks together and fasten the velcro later.

I told my sailmaker later what I had done and he loves the idea.

It certainly helps that I can clamber over the hard dodger to get at the boom bag too.
Ambler,
I like the sound of this idea, can you post a few pictures please.
thanks
Jim
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:05   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think you will find a problem if you try two zips. As the stack of sail material gets higher, how are you going to get the zip to close? It's easier to zip "downhill". Pulling forward will also be trying to pull up, but you aren't above, you're below. Possibly a rigid wand to keep the pull upwards? It will partly depend on how high the stack is at the forward end--ours is at least 3 ft., and if you have roller cars, 6 battens, say, the forward end stack will be tall. (Our boom is a tad over 6 m., long, too.)

I have seen some boats carrying a ladder to get the crewman to the top of the stack, so at least they don't have to hold on with one leg. Our boom bag stops aft of the gooseneck, with enough clearance to facilitate reefing, so Jim can reach the zip from the deck, and zip towards the stern. The forward cowl then attaches over the top of the stack, comes forward around the spinnaker pole and the bits of myriad lines, while the aft part of it snap buckles to the bag itself. He has to climb up to get the top of it over the stack. It fastens with 2" velcro, and snap buckles, as well.

Good luck finding a workable solution, 8 ft. above the deck level is pretty high to have to get to.

Ann