Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2017, 02:33   #1

Boat: It’s old
Boom Hanger for Timber Boom

I'm trying to source a boom hanger for a mahogany boom, so I can install a boom brake. The boom is about 4 inches wide. As it is a older boat it is very long and seems very heavy. It has a round profile with a grooved flat section on top. I'm worried about weakening the spar if I drill a hole through the side.

Any suggestions?
kimtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 03:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Boom Hanger for Timber Boom

“Practical Sailor” wrote about boom gallows designs for the modern cruiser ➥ https://www.practical-sailor.com/new...s-10484-1.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 03:46   #3

Boat: It’s old

Thanks Gord, but this is like an attachment point on the boom for a boom vang. Kind of like a pad eye, but with the ability to withstand a very heavy load without weakening the structural integrity of the boom. It would be about 5'6" from the mast.
Sorry for the confusing post.
kimtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 05:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Boom Bail? ➥ Marine Boom / Mast Bails
https://www.westmarine.com/boom-bails

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 09:34   #5

Boat: Custom Wooden Yawl, 38'

My wooden yawl had a roller-reefing boom, round with a flat spot next to the track, made out of solid spruce, rather than mahogany. When a preventer was needed, I had a heavy canvas strap with two bails, one at each end, that passed around the boom and held the vang. The boom was so heavy the vang was seldom needed; in winds less than 10 knots, I often had to use the topping lift to shape the sail.

I replaced the round boom with a hollow rectangular one, using the scantlings in Skene's Elements of Yacht Design. The bail for the new boom is made of 1/2" silicon bronze, welded to pads on both sides, and bolted twice through it. The vang is attached to a 3/8" padeye on deck bolted through a beam and two backing blocks in the deck next to the mast. The new boom is stiffer and lighter than the round one.
DLLuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 10:36   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Simplest is to make a spectra strop, & hang your hardware from it. And you can even put a few of them onto the boom with some space in between them, so as to spread the load over more of the boom, & connect them at a common point, where you'll then hang your hardware.

The same can also be done using webbing. And it's easy enough to fabricate a long aluminum plate with slots for each webbing loop, & a hole for the shackle or the brake. Thus spreading the load out over as much of the boom as you like.

Drilling for a bolt needn't weaken things, done properly. Simply make the hole large enough so that you can glue in an oversized G-10 or aluminum compresion tube. With or without doubler plates overtop of said tube. And the "plates" can be clear glass, metal, G-10, wood, or some other material. Also, if you add doubler plates it's wise to bevel their edges so as to avoid creating stress risers.

Which, if point loading the boom is a concern, then doubler plates are the best way to go, as a boom brake can generate a lot of load. Or rather it's a good way to go if you don't distribute it's loads over a portion of the boom's length via multiple strops or webbing straps.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 12:35   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Do not drill a hole thru the boom for a preventer, it's wood not metal, have a sail loft make a strap say 10" wide,tapering to 4" wide at the bottom and 24" long, with grommets in the end's, the strap can be made out of say 9 oz. sail cloth, the advantage using a strap is it can be moved for or aft on the boom, which obviously not doable with a fixed bail, i have had mine for more years than i can remember, when i change boats, i keep the strap along with the block and tackle.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote