Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 21:46   #1

Boom Rigging - Newbie question

I'm hoping a kind old salt can help this newbie make sense of the rigging & fittings on the boom of my 1983 Catalina 25, standard rig. I can't determine which fittings are for reefing, which are for the lazy jacks, and how it would all look when properly rigged.

I am the third owner of this 36 year old boat and realize that some of the fittings may no longer have a purpose but I'm trying to learn if there is an obvious valuable purpose to each item.

So...here it is:

Starboard Side of boom - Aft.
1. Single block. Assume it is for outhaul. Line through leech clew, then aft to this block.
2. Clamcleat on underside of boom. Purpose unknown. For lazy jacks? For outhaul?
3. Cleat. For tying off outhaul?
4. Cheekblock. For first reef?
5. Cleat. For tying off first reef?
6. Lightweight single block. For second reef? For lazy jacks?

Starboard Side of boom - Forward.
6. Lightweight single block
7. Eye strap. For leading second reef line?
8. Cleat. For tying off second reef line?
9. Eye strap on underside of boom. For guiding lazy jack line?
10. Cleat. For...?

Port Side of Boom (Two pieces of hardware, other than boom vang hound)
11. Eye strap, directly across from #4 (cheek block). Is this to secure reef line #1? (Rather than bowline around boom?) Or is it for lazy jack line?
12. Eye strap, directly across from #6 (single block). Is this to secure reef line #2? (Rather than bowline around boom?) Or is it for lazy jack line?

If you've hung in there and read this far, some additional info:

-The lazy jacks originate at the spreaders, and consist simply of a single line with a single block on the hanging end.

-Their is a reefing hook on the boom at the gooseneck (not visible in the photos)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boom Starboard Aft Image.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	191425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boom Starboard Forward.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	191426  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boom Port Image.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	191427  
Gavinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 23:51   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Boom Rigging - Newbie question

Okay,

In no particular order....

The pad eyes opposite turning blocks could be to keep the reefing line located for and aft on the boom, so that when you reef, the line doesn't slide aft, or fwd. Or, one or two of them may be for the lazy jacks, they should be paired port and starboard.

Your lazy jacks should have matching securing points, a port and starboard pair, and maybe 3 such pairs, although on a 25 ft. boat, perhaps two pairs would do.

Where your reefing lines come fwd, and also for the outhaul, you will need a cleat to tie off the excess line.

How many reefs does the mainsail have? 1, or 2?

The cleat on the stbd side aft is probably for the boom topping lift.

Cam cleat aft on the boom probably for the outhaul. [Note, if the sail is set up for a cunningham, there will be some kind of a cleat forward for that, too.]

I apologize if this is unclear, but once you get the sail on, and the reefing line or lines rove (that you have only one cheekblock suggests only one reef), the outhaul rigged, and the cunningham (if any), what's left over is for the lazy jacks, and they should be symmetrical.

Have fun playing with it.

Ann
Old 06-05-2019, 05:39   #3

Thank you for wading into this! Your reply is much appreciated.

It sure seems that this is a mash up of efforts by previous owners. I'm inclined to look at it all with fresh eyes, and modify fittings as needed.

That clam cleat on the underside of the boom is the one that has me most confused. Other than that I can get a sense of what the rest are for.

It appears that there were not matching starboard/aft lazy jack securing points, and instead one eye strap on the underside of the boom. I noticed screw holes on the underside of the boom further aft that may at one time have held an eye strap (like the current one forward on the underside of the boom).

The three cleats on the starboard side of the boom all seem to have a logical purpose -- outhaul, reef #1, and reef #2 (there are two reef points on the main).

I think the PO may have used the single block on the starboard side for the second reef, instead of a second cheek block. I'm hoping this is sufficient.

The topping lift is secured to the boom with a shackle near the tang, and is adjusted via a cam cleat topside.

Cunningham set up appears straightforward -- obvious cleat in the vicinity of the downhaul line.

Thanks again Ann!
Gavinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Ok my take.

1 outhaul block. Lines runs from block through clew, around sheeve (get mechanical advantage that way) to #4 where it turns to 2 or 3

2) if the line on the outhaul block will jam here it makes more sense than using a cleat.

3) if th outhaul line works in 2 use this when reefing. To reef run line up from boom, through reefing clew, back through a bowline then to block 4 (remove out haul since not needed) and tie off here. NOTE: to get a nice foot when reefed need to generate outhaul-like pull on reefing clew.

4) see above

5&6) got nothing, perhaps for jacks?

7&9) jacks

8) Vang

10) Cunningham??

11&12) jacks- do NOT use this type of fitting for reefing loads, they will likely pop out.

Hope this helps
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 19:27   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Not all sails are set up to have a Cunningham. If you're unfamiliar with them, the purpose is to tighten the luff of the mainsail. If there is a grommet like the tack of the main, about 8 inches or so up from the tack on the luff of the sail, that is where you put the hook of the Cunningham. The ones I've seen are a block and tackle arrangement with a built in cam cleat, and a rope to a reefing hook or similar. Hook through grommet, pull hard, cleat it off and the luff is tight again!

Good stuff.

Ann
Old 08-05-2019, 05:02   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gavinvt.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging