Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 11:32   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Boom sheaves

I have a 1998 Saga 43 with sheaves integrated into both ends of the boom for clew outhaul and reef clews. The clew outhaul is an aluminum sheave, and the aft end reef sheaves are some sort of durable black plastic with bronze bushings.

But the forward sheaves are plain Delrin (without bushings) and completely deteriorated.

I thought I'd do a simple replacement. I mean, they are 3" OD sheaves 1/2 thick, supporting 3/8" line. They don't seem to exist. RigRite doesn't have anything. Defender comes up empty. My local go-to, Fawcetts, can't get close. Garhauer makes an awesome product, but I really don't need ball bearing races in metal sheaves (the plain Delrin units lasted just fine for 20 years and two trans-Atlantic crossings).

Anyone have a decent source for simple sheaves? 3" OD, 1/2" thick, 1/2" bore, and either plain bearing or (ideally) bronze bushings, for less than custom pricing?

I really didn't think this was going to be hard....I'd hate to have to buy some Delrin and machine it myself!

Harry
Circe
'98 Saga 43
Mill Creek, Annapolis
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 12:13   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Boom sheaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I have a 1998 Saga 43 with sheaves integrated into both ends of the boom for clew outhaul and reef clews. The clew outhaul is an aluminum sheave, and the aft end reef sheaves are some sort of durable black plastic with bronze bushings.

But the forward sheaves are plain Delrin (without bushings) and completely deteriorated.

I thought I'd do a simple replacement. I mean, they are 3" OD sheaves 1/2 thick, supporting 3/8" line. They don't seem to exist. RigRite doesn't have anything. Defender comes up empty. My local go-to, Fawcetts, can't get close. Garhauer makes an awesome product, but I really don't need ball bearing races in metal sheaves (the plain Delrin units lasted just fine for 20 years and two trans-Atlantic crossings).

Anyone have a decent source for simple sheaves? 3" OD, 1/2" thick, 1/2" bore, and either plain bearing or (ideally) bronze bushings, for less than custom pricing?

I really didn't think this was going to be hard....I'd hate to have to buy some Delrin and machine it myself!

Harry
Circe
'98 Saga 43
Mill Creek, Annapolis
Harry, I converted my halyards from wire to rope and had 4 Delrin sheaves made, 3.5 X 3/8 X 1/2" pin bronze bushing.

You have 2 choices, contact:

Offshore spars - https://www.offshorespars.com Rick Rothenbuhler
or
https://www.zephyrwerks.com - Ed Louchard

If they don't have your size, they will custom make it.

Both offer excellent products, customer service and competitive prices, and I am very satisfied with mine, from Offshore Spars.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 12:27   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Looks like Offshore Spars has/will make 3x0.5x0.5" plain Delrin for ~$25/each.

https://store.offshorespars.com/prod...31570790547558
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 19:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Looks like Offshore Spars has/will make 3x0.5x0.5" plain Delrin for ~$25/each.

https://store.offshorespars.com/prod...31570790547558

Well, duh. Offshore Spars made my rig. I've bought parts from them (the little rubber plugs for the t-ball shround terminators) and their customer service is great. And somehow it didn't cross my mind to ask them about the sheaves. Would be nice if they made the bronze bushing ones -- I'll have to ask.

Thanks for realigning my brain....
Old 29-09-2020, 21:57   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Well, duh. Offshore Spars made my rig. I've bought parts from them (the little rubber plugs for the t-ball shround terminators) and their customer service is great. And somehow it didn't cross my mind to ask them about the sheaves. Would be nice if they made the bronze bushing ones -- I'll have to ask.

Thanks for realigning my brain....
They do as I mentioned, but it looks like you ignored past posts. Why bother...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:14   #6

Sorry SVTatia, I missed your comment on custom making them. Indeed, custom is the easy answer.

I did note as I wandered around on the Offshore Spars web site that they have many other options, including Delrin with bushings (somehow the link from Dsanduril took me to the plain white ones and didn't seem to allow me to broaden my search) but none in the size for my Offshore Spars boom. The unbushed white is the closest (close enough to work but I'd like black and bushed).

I have reached out to them to see what else they can provide.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:47   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I simply take one old one and give it to the turning garage. They make new ones as requested. About 15 USD each.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:53   #8

Boat: Allied 39

Gauhauer has made custom items at a very reasonable cost. Contact them and ask fir a quote.