Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 14:27   #1

Location: 30 Years in Alaska, Anchorage, Valdez, Fairbanks and Juneau
Boat: Rojo-Sailor 46 Windseeker II
Boom: Stuck End Cap

I have both of my masts off my vessel. Performing complete overhaul of 30 year Aluminum masts built in Holland by Nuet. Shieves are shot, masts have lots of corrosion and standing rigging needs replacement. I am taking both main and mizzen booms apart. I have most of everything removed, cleats, rings, and the goose neck. The part I am having problems removing are the End Caps. They both have the Bail for the Traveler sheets and the Outhaul shieves. The main boom is 14 feet long and the mizzen boom is 10 feet long. I know if I start banging on the cap it will scare the boom sides and bend something. I have gotten some really good rust remover and have been applying it but I do not think it is getting to what is holding things in place.
Both of these caps were held on by 10/32 screws and they are removed.
I have thought of getting two 8 feet 2 by 4s and putting them in the boom and then banging the 2 by 4s on the ground and pushing the Cap off the upper end. I wanted to find out what other sailors would do in this case. Have you found your self in this position before? Captain JL
windseeker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 14:35   #2

Boat: Endeavour 43
Re: Boom Stuck End Cap

I used this stuff on my davits and the pins came right our when an impact air hammer wouldn't budge the pin.
Welcome to: LoctiteŽ Freeze & Release
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 14:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The end caps are corroded in. The good thing is it aluminum against aluminum, the bad thing is you've got a lot of corroded area working against you. You will need heat, a wooden mallet or other suitable non metallic hammer, and lots of patience. An acetylene torch is best because of the high heat that it produces but you have to be careful not to melt the aluminum. A MAPP gas torch is way down the list for heat produced so will not get hot enough to melt the aluminum. Heat the tubing around the recalcitrant end cap while tapping with some force all around with the mallet. You can try quenching it with WD40 or Liquid Wrench type products but they won't remove the oxidation that's holding the fitting on. It's going to take mechanical action to loosen things up. Repeat freqeuntly and constantly, It will probably take quite a while to loosen them up. If it's at all possible to run a stick/2x2 etc. into the tube and pound on that, it will have a lot more effect. Probably can't do that till one of the ends is off, however.

Have lots of patience, don't go crazy with the mallet, and be persistant and they will eventually come free though it may take days.. When you reassemble the caps, slather them with LanOCote to make them easier to get apart should you want to do it again.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 15:05   #4

Location: 30 Years in Alaska, Anchorage, Valdez, Fairbanks and Juneau
Boat: Rojo-Sailor 46 Windseeker II

The Booms are Aluminum the End Caps are Stainless Steel. Now I have one Cap off. That is the end that has the Goose neck welded to it. So the only end that is frozen is the Outhaul end. that is why I mentioned about getting some 2 by 4s and using those to force the Caps off. but I think your suggestion about heat is good. One of my mechanic friends mentioned that also. This is good news. Thank you for your input.
windseeker2 is offline   Reply With Quote