Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 05:01   #1

Boson’s chair/mast steps

I have a fairly new to me motorsailer/trawler with a smallish 40’ mast and small sail plan that I use mostly for steadying purposes.. I need/want to either get a boson’s chair or maybe some mast steps? I don’t know anything about these things because I’m not a sailor and have never been to the top of a mast, but I know one day something will break up there and I will need to do this.

I thought mast steps would be interesting in the Bahamas so someone could go up 10-15 feet and use it like a crows nest maybe, but that seems like an expensive project and I don’t know how to install them. So, probably a boson’s chair. Is there a better chair out there? Is there one that could be safely operated solo, or is that a bad idea in case of an accident? I have a slight issue with heights, so going up the mast doesn’t really excite me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3007.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	173247
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Boson’s chair/mast steps

You the guy who had Mack Sails install your mast?
In my opinion, there is no need for you to go up your mast, nothing up there you have to have that you can’t do without as of course you know your boat is primarily a motoryacht. Just one that without a sail rolls a bit.

However there may be a good reason to get at least part way up to see coral heads etc. for that mast steps would I think be the ticket.

Yes there are self climbing systems, I have one, unfortunately it requires more than I’m able to exert, looks real easy in the videos though. I’ll never use it I’m sure, I went with a bosuns chair and a spare halyard and a primary winch for the Wife to hoist me aloft.
We have practiced getting me out of the water with the spare halyard, but I have not yet gone up the mast.

If you are who I think you are, you have that big powerful electric winch. If I wanted or go up, I’d use it with a good Bosuns chair and someone else to run the winch of course.
Have a back up device a like a line with a Prussic knot is fine or a mountain climbing ascender, just in case something happens to the halyard that is used to hold you up.
If you don’t have a spare halyard, they are a nice thing to have to hoist things with, anything from water jugs to dinghies and or of course people.
Maybe let them lift some dead weight up and down until they got used to letting the weight down in a controlled manner before sending you up?

You install mast steps by literally drilling a hole and tapping it and putting in a screw, or Monel pop rivets. It’s not hard at all. However be sure you know where your wiring conduit is located prior to drilling any holes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:04   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Boson’s chair/mast steps

It is good to have a bosun's chair or climbing harness so you can do your own maintenance, including regular cleaning and inspection, which could prevent complete loss of the rig.

In order to facilitate doing this when alone, a 4:1 tackle is recommended. This should consist of a fiddle block with becket at the top, and a ratcheting fiddle block at the bottom. These blocks should be sized to handle line of not less than 1/2" diameter. Single braid works well for this as it is easier to grip than double braid.

Such a tackle can be stored in a small sail bag, with its block ends tied in loose knots (so the line does not get tangled). To deploy, the top block is hoisted on a halyard, right out of the bag; stowing is the reverse. Climbing carabiners or standard (not snap) shackles are used at both ends. The tail end is tied off at the chair or harness while aloft. And a safety tether is also attached between the climber's safety harness and a convenient place on the mast.

Note: the halyard is tied off--not left in a self-tailer. Sailing gloves help with gripping the line while climbing.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:14   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have one of these which is handy for the annual trip up the mast to sort out the wind thingy.

The problem with a bosuns chair is you can't actually see the top of the mast and what is going on. With any of the ladders you can get up above the masthead and therefore see the lights, VHF and widgets you need to fix.

Ours live in a bag about the size of a sleeping bag when not in use and there is a US dealer with a blue version.

https://sites.google.com/site/gerryh...ne/mast-ladder
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:25   #5

Boson’s chair/mast steps

a64pilot, yes I’m that guy from Stuart. Good to hear from you, and thanks for the advice.

Seems like there is something up there to do with the furling mechanism that needs lubing from time to time? Plus I can’t figure out if all my lights are working up top.

I don’t have a spare halyard rigged up, but what about using the topping lift and just rest the boom on the PH roof while using the chair? Would I use a block and tackle hooked up to the chair somehow or just use the power of the electric winch to raise me? I’m about 180lbs.

I don’t really understand how to hook up a secondary safety line or “mountain ascender” but I will look into that.

I may still put a few folding steps on the mast that go up to the spreader maybe, if I can figure out how to mount them without screwing up the mast.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
It is good to have a bosun's chair or climbing harness so you can do your own maintenance, including regular cleaning and inspection, which could prevent complete loss of the rig.

In order to facilitate doing this when alone, a 4:1 tackle is recommended. This should consist of a fiddle block with becket at the top, and a ratcheting fiddle block at the bottom. These blocks should be sized to handle line of not less than 1/2" diameter. Single braid works well for this as it is easier to grip than double braid.

Such a tackle can be stored in a small sail bag, with its block ends tied in loose knots (so the line does not get tangled). To deploy, the top block is hoisted on a halyard, right out of the bag; stowing is the reverse. Climbing carabiners or standard (not snap) shackles are used at both ends. The tail end is tied off at the chair or harness while aloft. And a safety tether is also attached between the climber's safety harness and a convenient place on the mast.

Note: the halyard is tied off--not left in a self-tailer. Sailing gloves help with gripping the line while climbing.

Thanks. So maybe I could hoist that setup with the topping lift?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We have one of these which is handy for the annual trip up the mast to sort out the wind thingy.

The problem with a bosuns chair is you can't actually see the top of the mast and what is going on. With any of the ladders you can get up above the masthead and therefore see the lights, VHF and widgets you need to fix.

Ours live in a bag about the size of a sleeping bag when not in use and there is a US dealer with a blue version.

https://sites.google.com/site/gerryh...ne/mast-ladder

That mast ladder is slick. I need to investigate more to see if there is something like that for a furling style mast.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:32   #8

The topping lift is usually NOT adequate for climbing. Use the main halyard.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:59   #9

Boson’s chair/mast steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
The topping lift is usually NOT adequate for climbing. Use the main halyard.

Ok, thanks. This will sound stupid, but I have no idea how to unhook the main halyard so I could use it as a lift. I’ve taken down the jib before to prepare for a hurricane and it was pretty easy, but never had to mess with the main halyard yet. I’ve only had this setup for a year.

Thinking about the topping lift, I’ve been using the boom to raise and lower the dinghy off the PH roof. I raise the boom way up using the topping lift then hook up a block and tackle about midway on the boom and hook that to the dinghy. The topping lift is taking most the load (except for whatever is distributed through the boom to the gooseneck at the mast). Dinghy weighs about 125 LBs. Am I overusing the topping lift? I don’t know what strength line it is, but I told the rigging company (Colin at Mack Sails) I wanted to do that and he said it would be fine.
Old 08-07-2018, 15:41   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boson’s chair/mast steps

If I were you, I think I would do nothing and wait until I got somewhere with a good rigger and hire him, and ask.
I’m sitting here wondering to be honest if an inmast furling mainsail has a Halyard? I have never had one, and can see as how there may be no main Halyard?

What Terra Nova posted is what I have seen most often used by professional riggers that go up every day, but it requires a main Halyard to hoist the upper block.

If your set up the way I think you are, you may need a spare Halyard to go up the mast without removing the jib, cause the job Halyard may be your only Halyard?

However once you get a spare Halyard, you will likely find uses for it that you never thought of, its like having a crane that can lift things anywhere near your boat, onto your boat or move things around.
Not having a sugar scoop stern, it’s our plan on getting a MOB, on board.
I don’t use it often, but now that is have one it’s really useful. I had one installed when I was there is Stuart beside you.

Oh, and I think that electric winch with a good Halyard would raise you and a couple of your buddies without much issue.
Old 08-07-2018, 15:50   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My guess is your topping lift is strong enough, but won’t meet the required safety margin for lifting people, it’s one thing to drop the dinghy, and another to drop you from the top of the mast.
People do get killed mast climbing, last year I think a young, very experienced girl sailor died doing so.
You have to meet the required strength which is something like 12 to 1 for lifting people, and have a second line also to catch you if the primary fails for whatever reason. It seems excessive until you think of hitting the deck from a 40’ fall, or falling on a stanchion etc.
Old 08-07-2018, 18:36   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A four part tackle with bosun chair rig requires a little over 160' of line for a forty foot mast. That's a lot of line and takes up a bit of space to store. Another problem is how to cleat off the line. A cam cleat isn't secure enough for me. You could have an assistant make the line fast to a cleat at the base of the mast but that would require them hanging while you put on your high wire act. Hitches around the line and clock would work but you'll have to keep tension on line to undo the knots. When I had a tackle rig used N/A Lewmar fiddle blocks with a built in cleat.

In any case don't like the idea of having to have an assistant to either crank me up or one to operate an electric winch/windlass. An override could leave you stuck up the mast and they can also be tricky to use. A woman lost her hand and a good samaritan who came to help her lost fingers when their was a problem with the line on an electric winch.

Personally much prefer a tree climbing rig. You can go up the mast without anyone else's help and easily adjust your position. Getting someone to hang around while you futz about up the rig isn't easy or even finding them in the first place when you need them. I've used both mountain climbing gear and the Mast Climber from ATN. The seat/harness of the mast climber is by far the best seat for climbing. It's a combination seat and harness that's comfortable to hang in for hours. The mountain climbing harnesses are nearly as comfortable though haven't used one much to try and iron out the comfort issues. Climbing with the Mast Climber seems to be a little easier. Descending is way easier with a GriGri and climbing gear. Moving short distances up and down easier with the Mast Climber. The Mast Climber is it's pricey at $400 or so but has paid for itself many times over. Mountain climbing gear (ascender, GriGri, harness, pulley, foot straps) a little cheaper to way more expensive depending on the gear you chose. You can use lines, Prussic knots and an old bosun's chair to replace the climbing gear if you want to go really low budget.

roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 19:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
A four part tackle with bosun chair rig requires a little over 160' of line for a forty foot mast. That's a lot of line and takes up a bit of space to store. Another problem is how to cleat off the line. A cam cleat isn't secure enough for me. You could have an assistant make the line fast to a cleat at the base of the mast but that would require them hanging while you put on your high wire act. Hitches around the line and clock would work but you'll have to keep tension on line to undo the knots...
I'm afraid you don't understand this concept.

A 4-part tackle for a 40-foot hoist requires ~200' of line: beginning on the becket at the masthead, down to the first sheave at the chair, up to the first sheave at the masthead, down to the second sheave at the chair, up to the second sheave at the masthead, down to the chair...5 runs of 40' each = 200'.

"Cleating off the line" isn't much of a problem when using a ratcheting block as it does a fair job of preventing slippage while the climber ties off the hauling line at the chair. Simply gripping the other 4 lines together, with one hand, while tying off the hauling line is simple and straightforward. Even without the ratcheting block it is simple and easy. A cam cleat on the lower block can help but is not to be relied upon.

No need for a second person, winch, etc.
Old 08-07-2018, 19:36   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

An inexperienced climber might do well to have mast steps installed by a professional. Be sure to run a wire along the outer extremities of the steps, so running rigging can't take a turn around a step. PITA. I made my own mast climber rig and it worked okay but I been doing this for a while and I was too cheap/broke to afford steps. I like steps.Ready to go, whenever you are. As easy as climbing a ladder. You still need a climbing harness and a halyard, and a way to belay, out of an overabundance of caution when going aloft. On the job, I would be instantly fired for going aloft without a harness.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:53   #15

Personal opinion... I hate the look of mast steps. If you want to be able to do a crows-nest sort of thing, go old school and add ratlines to your shrouds.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast