Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2010, 15:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Bosun's Chairs

My boat came with a bosun chair. It has a back, a crotch strap & a padded board. Pretty comfortable EXCEPT I'm slipping forward 'out' of it. I know I won't slip out because of the crotch strap but it is tiring to sit in after a short while. The seat should slope back slightly to keep me in it comfortably.

So what is the most comfortable bosun's chair out there?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 16:02   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I hate bosun's chairs!

I use rock climbing gear w/ ascenders and repellers. Two lines are safer then one and you can't fall out of a harness. I also use a chest harness w/ an adjustable lanyard so I can lean back and still work with my hands.

The tools and parts I leave on the deck in a bucket until I'm at the top then raise it up with a small line I have attached to the belt.

Ascenders and Descenders at REI.com
Old 19-09-2010, 16:03   #3

Boat: Baba 30
I bought one at west marine and it works just fine. I also wear a harness and tether clip to wrap around the mast if Im going to be in the air for a bit. Makes me feel better
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 16:03   #4

The ATN Top Climber is comfortable. Many have taken to using climbing harnesses instead of bosun's chairs.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 16:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I've got an ATN Top Climber. It's essentially a rock climbing harness but with a seat board. You can climb the mast without anyone else's help with the Top Climber.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 16:30   #6

Re slipping forward in the bosun chair. Like a harness, you need to be brave and lean back for comfort. One tends to hug the line for security, but they are both uncomfortable that way.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 16:53   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Going up and down is not the issue, only comfort in the chair while aloft.
I do use 2 halyards for safety.
Leaning back isn't the issue with my chair. When I start up, I am sitting comfortably. But while aloft, I use my legs and feet to move around. That slides me forward in the chair and then it is difficult to get my butt back in the chair to sit comfortably.

I'm thinking of a foot bar slung below to put my feet on to get comfortable when not needing my legs/feet for moving around.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 18:43   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
My professional rigger uses a Harken chair for work, and a climbing harness for racing.

CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 18:50   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Never use them anymore. I use a rock climbing harness. This is probably not the best for hours at the mast top and yet excellent for my half hour stunts.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 10:57   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Going up and down is not the issue, only comfort in the chair while aloft.
I do use 2 halyards for safety.
Leaning back isn't the issue with my chair. When I start up, I am sitting comfortably. But while aloft, I use my legs and feet to move around. That slides me forward in the chair and then it is difficult to get my butt back in the chair to sit comfortably.

I'm thinking of a foot bar slung below to put my feet on to get comfortable when not needing my legs/feet for moving around.
That's why I use one of these.

It has wide padded leg straps, which makes it fairly comfortable. As well, with my ascenders I have foot straps attached to one of them so I can lift my weight off of my harness getting even higher up.
And I use one of these to add to the comfort, allowing me to lean back to work under something or just to rest a bit.

I hoist up a repelling line on one halyard and ascend myself up on another, using the repel line as a safety on the way up. Then use a descending ring for the trip down.

The climbing gear is a bit more expensive but how much is ones safety worth.
Old 21-09-2010, 06:27   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The Petzl brand of climbing harness sold in WM or on the internet is shown in Delmarrey's post #10 - top photo. Unfortunately they are made from some strange form of plastic that is biodegradable. I loved my system until last year when after 5 years of the harness being on the boat - the plastic loops, rings and other plastic attachments started to disintegrate and break off. So if your Petzel harness is more than a couple/three years old get a new one.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 06:42   #12

Boat: Herreshoff 45 Second Star
Climbing harness with Mitchell rope walking system.
2ndstar is offline   Reply With Quote