Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2013, 05:55   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Bottomsiders Cockpit Cushions

i found one floating in sd bay after a storm long ago. i doubled it and used it as a generator pad...they work fine as that--not fine as a cushion for humans.... and certainly not for long passages....

when my honda 3k that came with this formosa burned the cushion melted and some turned black with melted plastic---now it is gone.....

as for actually BUYING, i dont think so. i have more respect for my tushie than that.....
my cushion on the transom lazarette is 6 inch foam ...now, THAT is comfy.

as for flying away--that is how i found mine--they fly away easily from boats in storms.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 06:14   #17

Boat: Cal 2-27

I have them and like them very much. I could see the sweat thing, but they clean up easy. I always store mine inside when gone. Keeps em clean so wife likes to lay on them. dog nails have not yet punctured, but only used them 1 season so far. This is season 2.
way less bulky than standard cushions.

I have a total of 5 that make up my cockpit. I would have the long one cut into 2 to keep them all teh same lentgh and make it even easier to stow.
Old 17-07-2013, 17:59   #18

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Hi all,

I am toying with the idea of making my own "bottomsiders" using a similar type of floating pool mattress. Buy in the color you like and trim to size. As mentioned earlier, there are vinyl paints that could be used on the cut edges. Haven't tried it yet, but any way that I can save some $. My current voyage preparations are killing my wallet .

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 18:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi all,

I am toying with the idea of making my own "bottomsiders" using a similar type of floating pool mattress. Buy in the color you like and trim to size. As mentioned earlier, there are vinyl paints that could be used on the cut edges. Haven't tried it yet, but any way that I can save some $. My current voyage preparations are killing my wallet .

Cheers, Bill
My only word of caution would be that whenever I try to cut corners that severely, I end up doing it twice: 1) the first time to save money and with a passion for beating the wallet problem. Only to suffer the ridicule of a very sloppy looking mess. 2) the second time paying the piper and getting something that works properly! and 3) now I've paid twice.....

For savings and ease, why not go buy some of the smaller outdoor furniture cushions? With or without backs. they arent all flowered fabric...I've seen dark blue ones, foam green ones... etc. If they're shot in 2-5 years throw away and buy new ones! :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 18:06   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
Be careful with your finger nails, they are made with self skinning foam. works well but will rupture the skin with pointed objects. I keep a tube of vinyl repair adhesive handy for this. I also repaint mine yearly with vinyl paint. looks new every year.
Don't ask how I know this, but even a petite woman in stilleto heels will poke right through your bottomsiders.

(She hasn't been invited back.)
Old 18-07-2013, 08:13   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW,

I have not used such cushions simply because I don't find them very comfortable to sit on! For me, closed cell foam is usually too stiff for long term sitting, and conventional open cell foam is better. Too bad about how it soaks up water... But I believe that there is a new type of foam that water drains out of - forget what it is called - that will be great for cockpit cushions.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-07-2013, 08:26   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, everyone,

Besides their extreme firmness, when sitting on board a boat that had them, when the mosquitoes came out, and the DEET went on, we found that the DEET lifts the paint on them right off and onto your skin. If you like blue tattoos on the backs of your thighs, which then migrates to your shorts, I guess that's okay. For me, that was enough to not want them, and actually, if you have to step on them getting in and out of the cockpit, like when you go forward to drop the pole, they're weird to walk on, as well, even in bare feet. YMMV.

Ann
Old 18-07-2013, 08:28   #23

I detest the things, but they are also produced by C-Cushions, maybe you'll get a better price.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 08:48   #24

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Sunbrella over foam is the way to go.
1) Last a long time
2) No worries to walk on.
3) Comfortable to sit and lay on
4) Not sticky
5) Can make them yourself
6) Can add snaps or boltrope connectors
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 09:54   #25

Boat: PT-11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Don't ask how I know this, but even a petite woman in stilleto heels will poke right through your bottomsiders.

Just because she poked a hole in your cushions? Wow, that's tough.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 10:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Just because she poked a hole in your cushions? Wow, that's tough.
Generally when I invite someone who hasn't been sailing with me before, I'll include some advice on what to wear - layers, hat, footwear and so on.

I like to see over the cabin top, so I have an 8" thick Bottomsiders helm cushion. I love it. It gets put away when I'm not sailing though.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 10:42   #27

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

I just love people that wear sensible clothing on a sailboat.

Did she have on the ever popular black miniskirt or the almost as popular evening gown to match?
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 12:29   #28

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Hmmm... something about deck ornaments vs. useful equipment.

Back on topic. I have used Bottomsiders for many years. I have my 3rd (new) set in the cockpit, so color me satisfied. They should last 5-10 years, depending on care, climate, and usage. In the PNW with shorter seasons, less heat and UV, they should last a long time if they are stored correctly. In the tropics not so much. The coating serves to trap the plasticizers and other chemicals inside, prolonging the foam life. If the coating is broken it should be sealed immediately otherwise the foam will start to shrink and harden at that point. Of course this is true for the same foam inside of fabric cushions, which I think is not usually sealed.

My little boat has a pretty wet cockpit so I appreciate cushions that are easy to wipe down, and dry almost immediately without salt afterwards - much better in that regard than fabric. They do keep the teak deck underneath damp for a long time so it is necessary after a sail or rain to tip them up and let the deck (and cushion) dry. It is true that they can grow mildew when left on a damp deck for extended periods, or when stacked for storage if dampness can get in between the cushions. This is not hard to prevent, nor is it hard to remove. One of the great attractions of these cushions is that they are very easy to clean.

One note of caution: store them flat with nothing on top to distort them. Over the long term it is possible to permanently deform them.

I find them very comfortable to sit and lay on; on hot days I put a beach towel on top to keep from that sticky feeling. This has not been the norm during my cruising however.

I also bought a helm seat recently, and look forward to using it. I have always bought four "throw" cushions, which I use for backs against the coamings, and also stack so that I can sit comfortably in the companionway, with my legs inside. The helm seat should be even better.

All of my cushions have the boat's logo on them. Bottomsiders usually screens a pin stripe on the top of the cushions, and are happy to include your logo if you provide some artwork. I don't remember the extra cost.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 16:00   #29

Boat: gozzard 44

I've had white Bottomsiders on 2 boats over 16 years. The dense foam is quite comfortable. Never experienced sticking as we also wear clothing.
The present set started to look dirty as the vinyl coating was wearing thin.
I made covers with zippers out of Phifertex and am very happy with the decision. They now look dressed up.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 18:12   #30

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Considering covering mine with Sunbrella. Who have boaters used to cover theirs?

Thanks
jbarnesvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, cushions