Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58   #16

Boat: Hartley Queenslander 36
Hi all,

I want to buy a sewing machine to do sail repairs and various canvas work. Could anyone please recommend some good models. (I have been on the Sailrite site but I am in the UK, and they dont do them over here!
Any other suggestions? -singers etc are good and if you guys know the model numbers that would be very helpful.
If not, could you please tell me the things to look out for.
I've read lots about having a 'walking foot'- what exactly is this?

Thanks for your help

www.concretefloats.com
www.sailingmissmoneypenny.com
miss-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 13:30   #17

Boat: Hartley Queenslander 36
Oops, forgot to add that I need a machine which is portable and can be stored on the boat and put away when not in use- no massive table mounted units please.
Thanks all

www.concretefloats.com
www.sailingmissmoneypenny.com
miss-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 15:19   #18

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Use a stapler to staple pieces together, then sew and remove the staples. I great stapler is available at most office supply stores. It is one with a 1' throat. Learned this tip from a sailmaker.
A BIG advantage with a needle feed/walking foot machine is they feew top and bottom material. With the old Singer 211 machine I have, I can sew a 10' sailcover seam without stapleing and it comes out even. I still staple to keep things lined up.
Pick up the type staple remover that is like a dull small knife blade. The claw type are a pain in the butt with fabric.
I also like the hand helg staplers.
Office Depot Brand Long-Reach Stapler Black Blue by Office Depot
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:56   #19

Singer Walking Foot Sewing Machine model 111W101

We have an ancient Singer walking foot machine that wads a bunch of thread on the bottom side of the fabric and have been told that the bobbin tension needs to be adjusted. We have an instruction manual that says:
"The tension on the bottom thread is regulated by means of the screw nearest the center of the tension spring on the outside of the bobbin case. To increase the tension, turn this screw over to the right. To decrease the tension, turn this screw over to the left."
The problem is that we can't figure out what screw they mean or where it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be a big help!
LENVIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:57   #20

Singer Walking Foot Sewing Machine model 111W101

We have an ancient Singer walking foot machine that wads a bunch of thread on the bottom side of the fabric and have been told that the bobbin tension needs to be adjusted. We have an instruction manual that says:
"The tension on the bottom thread is regulated by means of the screw nearest the center of the tension spring on the outside of the bobbin case. To increase the tension, turn this screw over to the right. To decrease the tension, turn this screw over to the left."
The problem is that we can't figure out what screw they mean or where it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be a big help!
LENVIKING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewing machine