Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 11:12   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
Bow rail

Hi all,

I have a 1975 Pearson 28. Recently someone hit my boat on the mooring and broke and bent my bow rail up. The loop around the very bow is now facing up instead of strait out.

Anyone have any ideas of were I might find a replacement? I've checked with a welder and he said its not fixable. It would be too weak afterward. The break is on the bend in the tubing so he can't put in an insert to reinforce it. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks..
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:31   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Bow rail

I needed some curved 1" stainless steel bits to mount an arch on the stern. E bay had a collection of pushpits and pullpits available for very little money. You will need to measure and compare carefully before buying and it could take a while before the right one comes up and may still need a bend or two.

Alternatively ask the welder to make a new one, but that won't be cheap. Can it wait until winter time, be cheaper then.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:50   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Photo please. I worked for Pearson and it’s just normal rail material so there are lots of folks who can bend you a new part and then you can cut it to fit.
Please see welding tips and tricks web pages on stainless tubes.
You will see how great TIG welds are done. Almost invisible full strength welds.
The tubes should be back filled with argon.
I just don’t understand the “can’t be fixed”.
We weld outdoors under canvas but I’d remove the rail after measuring all the pad distances and take it to a shop.
This is not nuclear welding. The manatees TIG with mirrors while on their backs after they pounded the beer cans flat....after they drank all the beer.
Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and his wobbly crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:07   #4

Google Railmakers , it's a company, maybe they would make one.
Any marine surplus places near you? Sometime they have a ton of rails and pulpits. Sometimes not.
Often a bow pulpit not designed for your boat can be made to fit, it just depends, a little bending of the legs to fit your deck angle is often possible with a conduit bender.

Do you have a pic? Most stuff can be repaired by a good marine or aircraft welder. Is the tube bent really straight up towards the sky? A proper TIG butt weld should be as strong as the tubing without a doubler inside.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:19   #5

Boat: Pearson 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Photo please. I worked for Pearson and it’s just normal rail material so there are lots of folks who can bend you a new part and then you can cut it to fit.
Please see welding tips and tricks web pages on stainless tubes.
You will see how great TIG welds are done. Almost invisible full strength welds.
The tubes should be back filled with argon.
I just don’t understand the “can’t be fixed”.
We weld outdoors under canvas but I’d remove the rail after measuring all the pad distances and take it to a shop.
This is not nuclear welding. The manatees TIG with mirrors while on their backs after they pounded the beer cans flat....after they drank all the beer.
Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and his wobbly crew.

The piece is actually torn. When the rail was pushed up the bottom part of the tube is broken while the top of the tube is still attached by small amount. I was told the weld would be too weak. And they were concerned because they had to wok on it in their shop and not on the boat holding it in the right position.

I tried to include a picture but can figure it out with this site. I don't have a urrl for it. Any suggestions
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 13:10   #6

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by windcree View Post
I tried to include a picture but can figure it out with this site. I don't have a urrl for it. Any suggestions
Go to “manage attachments” at the bottom and insert an image from your phone or computer, it may come out horizontal if you are doing it on the phone but it will be better than nothing.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 14:23   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This may help with posting the picture.... Thanks, weavis. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-133457.html
Old 10-06-2021, 14:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by windcree View Post
The piece is actually torn. When the rail was pushed up the bottom part of the tube is broken while the top of the tube is still attached by small amount. I was told the weld would be too weak. And they were concerned because they had to wok on it in their shop and not on the boat holding it in the right position.

Sounds like they just dont want to do the job.
For pics, clik on "Advanced" or "Manage Attachments" (below) then go to "Browse" and sect your pic from your computer. Once it has downloaded clik on "close" and just push reply.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson