Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 06:33   #46

Re: Broken Mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsea Soul View Post
You know what they say about opinions The boat my be forty years old but the rigging is new.
You installed new standing rigging and then the mast broke? Now you are fixing it? You broke the mast and are fixing it and since you're at it you are replacing the standing rigging?

You didn't tell us how the rig broke. How did it break?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:42   #47

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Please , tell me that the I beam is made in aluminium?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:45   #48

No I tell my friends that I have put it to the test and wouldn't go that far with them. I also tell them about all the arm chair wannabes that haven't logged a mile but think they have the right to judge with such hateful comments.
Gypsea Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:53   #49

Yes it was.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:56   #50

I replaced all the rigging standing and running. New roller. The rigging was old when it snapped. No external sign of deteriation but now I know. Every 8 years from now on.
Old 02-11-2015, 22:48   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Gypsea Soul,

As you were unaware of dissimilar metals problems, are you also possibly unaware there are differences between 304 and 316 s/s wire? If so, you will do yourself a favor by learning about them.

Ann, who has, indeed lost a mast at sea, and lived to tell the tale.
Old 02-11-2015, 23:21   #52

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
No I tell my friends that I have put it to the test and wouldn't go that far with them. I also tell them about all the arm chair wannabes that haven't logged a mile but think they have the right to judge with such hateful comments.

You seem to have ignored quite a few well intended suggestions.

Good luck with your mast.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:38   #53

The mast has been rebuilt for 6 months. Well intended suggestions after the fact. Like your comment what would you suggest I do. I live on my sailboat and sail to a new location every month. I don't work because I choose to live my life. Just like your comment opinions without knowing the facts. I did use some suggestions in this thread but the fact remains my mast is up I'm sailing. Doing the best I can with what I have.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:29   #54

Boat: Tartan 40

What kind of boat do you have? Reason I ask is that boats with shorter, less bendy rigs and with fore and aft lowers likely will tolerate an atypical repair better.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:35   #55

39 Ericson 54 foot mast
Old 03-11-2015, 03:51   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
I replaced all the rigging standing and running. New roller. The rigging was old when it snapped. No external sign of deteriation but now I know. Every 8 years from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I'm not trying to be a Naysayer... Downer... Jerk... or least of all expert... because I'm not... I just want you to be cautious about the limitations of the repair ...
Quote:
The mast has been rebuilt for 6 months. Well intended suggestions after the fact. Like your comment what would you suggest I do. I live on my sailboat and sail to a new location every month. I don't work because I choose to live my life. Just like your comment opinions without knowing the facts. I did use some suggestions in this thread but the fact remains my mast is up I'm sailing. Doing the best I can with what I have.
Gypsea....

I honestly think you have a point.... Some of the comments were well intended, but were lacking in respectful politeness...

I think it's spectacular you got the rig put together and up with your repair, but honestly if you shopped around, you could have found a nice used mast for around $1k...

It would have made this thread longer and likely more volatile, but if you posted the progress along the way we could have at least made a few more suggestions to increase your chances of reliability...

1. I would have notched the web of the beam end(s) inside the mast about 18" in to give it some flex in the X and Y...

2. I would have tapered the end(s) of the beam inside the mast ...

3. I would have suggested to stagger the fasteners at the joints

4. I would have suggested the lanocote/T-gel/other for the fasteners

All we want you to know is:

"THERE ARE LIMITATIONS TO THIS REPAIR"

The mast assembly you have now is DEFINITELY less strong overall than the original extrusion, there are no two ways about that...

The good news is that you have a bunch of new parts and experience!

Put some money in a jar every week, sail conservatively, and shop around for a mast... If and when you take this last suggestion... You'll have a brand new rig!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:04   #57

This is the type of information and understanding of the process I could of used. I wish I would of tapered the spice at the ends. The thought was there but didn't happen. I also did shop around for a new used mast at the time with no luck. I think yours is the first opinion of value. Not that some didn't have merit. In the vary beginning of this tread. If you are going to attack my ideas without understanding them I will not value for your opinion. There is a fine line between closing the mind to negative opinion to achieve positive results and being closed minded. Thank you for your post.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:59   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

My pleasure Gypsea...

I think you get my point about limitations.... Just don't want you to think the mast is as strong as it used to be.... It's not... Definitely enjoy your fix, and think of it as "spreading out the cost"

If you're not burned out, post a thread about looking for a mast with your dimensions.... You're not the 1st... 40th... or even 100th CF'r who needed a stick... combined research helps...

Hopefully you'll get some good leads, and then down the line after you've got enough in your piggy bank... These leads will prosper with an attractive deal !

We all have the same funding problem... Believe me!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast