Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2021, 14:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37
Buying rope online in Australia

My halyard needs replacing. The local shops don’t really carry any suitable rope for the job, and with COVID this means buying online. Anyone know of good, well priced online stores? Google seems to give only a few choices with brands I have never heard of.
Macdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 15:38   #2

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m
Re: Buying rope online in Australia

Try Splicing and Cutting Services if you want a full coil, give them a call, I have found them very helpful. Rope Galore is also good for cut lengths, they are also very helpful and knowledgeable. Both are owner operated.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 15:43   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i have not used these guys

https://wettechrigging.com.au/

but have put them in my saved pile in case of need. they look worth a call...

cheers,
Old 15-08-2021, 15:43   #4

Boat: currently boatless

Try the Sydney Rope company. Used them previously. Always very satisfied with results
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 15:58   #5

I've used both of these and recommend them.

https://www.ropemelbourne.com.au/

https://www.sydneyropesupplies.com.au/

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 18:19   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Another vote for splicing and cutting services.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 22:08   #7

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Thanks all - I needed some more mooring line! Now just have to work out how to get 35kg from them to me!

Without searching further, what are the best types for anchor snubbers? A very quick search show companies explicitly saying to use "stretchy line" while another say explicitly "non-stretchy line"...
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 01:32   #8

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

as post #2, I have only good experiences with rope galore https://ropegalore.com.au/nylon-rope...BoCFWYQAvD_BwE
I only purchased full rolls, and have not used any other services from them.

They organise freight, often for free.....yes I know, the cost of freight is really in the price of the rope already.

Regarding snubber, in my view only one type of material: nylon. Then you can choose between 3 strand and 8 strand, or even double braid. But 3 strand is the easiest to splice, and more stretchy, just be mindful of the snubber that goes over the bow, the rope will stretch in the part over the deck and will chafe on the bowroller; therefore that part needs to be protected, by a cover, hose, leather, what have you. Or if you really want to go high tech, make the first part, from cleat to over bow roller, out of dyneema with no stretch, and then the remainder of your snubber ie 6 to 12 metres, nylon. This last solution the best in theory, but a few more splices to be made, but this method does not follow the Kiss principle.
Note chafe on the bowroller is increased a great deal as the distance from the cleat to the bowroller is increased.

Or the easiest solution is to use 3 strand nylon, and make a large loop over the cleat so that the loop extends over the bowroller. Stretch is then minimal using these double lines over the chafing point, and no chafe gear needs to be applied. I used this principle on many of my docklines as well, and it always worked, with no chafe, and still my docklines have the ability to stretch and absorb shocks.
Old 16-08-2021, 01:44   #9

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Without searching further, what are the best types for anchor snubbers? A very quick search show companies explicitly saying to use "stretchy line" while another say explicitly "non-stretchy line"...
The idea behind an anchor snubber is that the cordage itself absorbs snatch forces.

You'll likely have seen people who test anchor holding by applying a pull, either in a straight line or veering the cable to pull at an angle.

Perhaps a more frequent cause of anchor failure is repeated snatching forces, jerks as your boat is brought up sharp by your anchor cable (especially if you anchor on all-chain). Repeated jerks can cause an anchor to walk downwind through the seabed by compacting the soil and squeezing water from it.

To avoid snatching, you need anchor cable (or rode, if you prefer US English) that absorbs energy. Very heavy chain will do that, but who wants to carry very heavy chain.

Nylon cordage is ideal - either laid or plaited nylon rope. Nylon cordage, about 10 or 20 metres, used as an anchor snubber, can absorb many times what a very much longer all-chain rode can absorb.
Old 16-08-2021, 14:46   #10

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34

Send Lisa at Marine Outlet an email (sails@marineoutlet.com.au). Always helpful and will meet (sometimes beat) prices found online. Based in Lake Macquarie but ships everywhere and is extremely helpful. Tell her Canadian Graham sent you and see if you get a laugh,
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 15:38   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO36i 2008

I was happy with my purchase from Ropes Galore last year.
Jhclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 17:31   #12

Boat: FP Helia 44 Evo

I have used International Rope Braid on the Gold Coast many times. Check out their web site. I like the ability to specify everything, including colours and pattern.
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 19:38   #13

Boat: Volkscruiser

Sierra do you think they have a rope with the words generic or low cost woven into it? That would save me a lot of grief from the wife!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 21:49   #14

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Had a lovely chat with the owner of Splicing and Cutting Services - what an amazing experience and font of rope knowledge in Australia! He helped write the Oz standards years ago, and could spin a great yarn (boom boom). Thanks for the headsup re: nylon for the snubber - ordering now!
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 22:36   #15

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Sierra do you think they have a rope with the words generic or low cost woven into it? That would save me a lot of grief from the wife!
Cheers
IRB products are Made in Australia if that helps the purchasing decision.
Major supplier to Sydney Ropes and others.

Dock neighbour had custom colour scheme woven for the covers so it may be possible to specify "generic" at additional cost.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, buying, rope