Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 12:57   #1

Boat: Caliber 40
Caliber 40: Damaged bobstay chainplate at waterline

I wish my first post was more traditional such as:
"What kind of boat should I buy?"

But seriously.
On my 1994 Caliber 40, a bump into the dock caused damage to the bobstay chainplate. There is a collision bulkhead preventing access to the inside of the hull where it is connected. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I cannot imagine the fix is to remove the forward holding tank to access the connection. Here is a link to a picture on flickr:
https://flic.kr/p/2m495an

(Now I understand why John Kretschmer doesn't like bowsprits.)
mikethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 16:20   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Caliber 40: Damaged bobstay chainplate at waterline

Hello, Mike,

I feel your pain. Nobody I know of builds boats with the intent of them being easy to work on, except for individuals who build them for their own use, and even then, there are limitations.

So, unfortunately, it may be that you will have to remove the holding tank, and then cut an access hole in the crash bulkhead, too. And, reinforce it around the hole to retain its strength. It might be a time to re-consider a dessicating toilet, as well. Then you could ditch the weight of the fermenting excrement you carry around in the holding tank.

The thing is that there are strong loads on the pointy end of the bowsprit, and that chainplate has to be through bolted, and preferably with a good, fitted backing plate. It may not have been that way originally, but I believe that's what you'll find when you talk to riggers about it. Just screwing it into the fiberglass is not a safe repair--it would be no repair at all!

You will want to have that holding tank pumped out and cleaned before you remove it. And, make sure all the holes in it are well plugged, including the vent line. It may have to come out of the boat in pieces, worst case, or there may be room to place it sideways in your forepeak (depends on how big it is). While not a pleasant job, it is within reach of any normal person, sorta like changing baby diapers--you just have to get on with it, perhaps with a nod to Hercules and the Augean Stables. You may want do sanitize it with bleach, prior to cutting it up (if you have to do that, and cannot just move it out of the way).

I'm not an engineer, but the reinforcing around the access hole IS important, and you may want a professional opinion on that, as well.

Ann
Old 09-06-2021, 11:22   #3

It turns out that the four bolts holding the chainplate were inside the holding tank. They were quite rusted, but they all came off with a standard socket wrench. Luckily, we had the tank cleaned and flushed the day before.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:25   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Did you say “inside the holding tank” ? Yikes. I’ve seen a lot of strange things but that’s not a great place for any metal. I guess the tank is fiberglass? How are you going to fix this. I’d love to see some more photos.
I actually had to work inside a holding tank. On scuba. Big research boat.
The whole gang was hooting and hollerrin while I was hosed off. Didn’t smell a thing. Must be from getting use to the manatee gas.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:14   #5

The chainplate had four bolts going through into the tank, where there was a chunk of metal with four holes for the bolts. The riggers are going to make a new bobstay for us, and of course replace the rusted nuts. This is really the best possible outcome for us; no fiberglass repairs at all.
I was worried that missing the bobstay might somehow affect the ability of the forestay to support the mast so I connected the staysail stay. (The Caliber 40 is a "convertible cutter".)
Old 12-06-2021, 09:47   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Kretschmer has an educated opinion.
So do other people that like bow sprits.
There are reason's both ways.
Ultimately it seems to me to be a money vs sailing ability conflict, lots for sail area without having to build the boat that long.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, water