Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2018, 16:12   #16

Boat: Swan 40; Yankee Dolphin; International Fireball, Naples Sabot; Klepper Kayak with Sail Rig
Re: Can I hoist a 220 lbs person up the mast?

The book by Brian Toss, The Riggers Apprentice, has good information about going aloft. I think it might be available on his website also.
Alan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 17:25   #17

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

It's not too tricky to hoist a single block with a becket to the masthead. Use two halyards for safety. Rig a 2:1 purchase using the (not yet) hoisted block with a single block on the chair and use a deck block to lead the line to a winch. This decreases the force at the winch to 110 lbs, a lot easier to handle than 220.
Another way to have a 2:1 purchase is to lead a halyard to a snatch block fastened to the chair. Double up the connection to the chair for safety. Connect this halyard to a second one and lead each to its winch. Alternately grinding each winch will raise the chair with less effort. This works good with two crew at the winches so they can alternate the grinding or work in unison.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 19:37   #18

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I've got a Sabre 28, weigh 170# and no issues going to the masthead. No radical swaying of the mast in fact it was pretty rock steady though I was in a Marina with flat water. Can't imagine an extra 50#s would make much of a difference except in effort to haul them up.
My last boat was a Sabre 28 , She sure was pretty and she loved to have her sails up ! I did not care much for the chainplate bedding and there there were issues with the volvo MD 7A ! St nick / Fla
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 23:33   #19

Boat: Swanson

I have spare new line to hoist myself. I use double block borrowed from mainsail boom, feed it with new rope sure you need plenty rope. Hoist one block with mainsail halyard , the rest is not easy, 1 to 4 for single person still hard work.
Tikka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast